This is Windows 10

sinetheo, on 11 Jan 2015 - 07:45, said:

No transparency and flat look like something out of Atari or Windows 1.0 which is very dated. MacOSX Yosemite does it right. I miss transparency in Android which 4.2 which was gorgous and made it look modern and a capable phone. as elitist Art professors are teaching UI designers this garbage with no real world UI experience! I will stick with Windows 7 if it has zero.

Emulating low end crappy obsolete computers is weird. If I had a time machine and you showed me that pic in 1995 I would not even believe you were from the future as Windows 95 has better graphics etc.

I say give the people choice. The taskbar shouldn't be transparent IMO, cause depending on your desktop background it may be really distracting. Example:

ha6JiiT.jpg

It's been there for over a decade; time for an overhaul (something easier to use/find things through; not just a theme change).

Well, other programs, not just IE use it so all of it wouldn't be able to be integrated as a tab in Internet Explorer, but I expect IE specific things to move to a settings tab and connection and other stuff to move to Settings.

Don't think you really need transparency in a browser. If you did that, it'll be like safari! :x

I think it's kind of pretty, but can also easily get in the way of usability when there's text in the foreground... Can't quite decide whether this is 'transparency done right', or just Apple's very own Vista moment.... :p Thankfully it's completely optional.

post-5569-0-81162000-1420987045.png

Transparency as was done in Windows 7, was distracting tbh. Even more so with the clear taskbar in Windows 8. If they can find a nice balance, then I might welcome it back, otherwise, I'm happy to see it gone.

Again, I don't use a computer to stare at the GUI all day. I have work to get done.

Transparency as was done in Windows 7, was distracting tbh. Even more so with the clear taskbar in Windows 8. If they can find a nice balance, then I might welcome it back, otherwise, I'm happy to see it gone.

Again, I don't use a computer to stare at the GUI all day. I have work to get done.

Transparency in Windows 7 isn't distracting.  Windows 10, in the present form, is.  Note the attachment:  same background and snipping section though one is Windows 7 and the other is Windows 10.  Same color settings (I like dark schemes).  With Windows 7, you can just barely see the background through the taskbar...whereas with Windows 10 it is clearly seen (as onewarmslime also pointed out) and distracting.

post-21852-0-63673100-1420991505.jpg

post-21852-0-25034900-1420991506.jpg

But you are staring at the GUI all day, so it's defiantly a plus it it's pleasant to look at.

Transparency in Windows 7 isn't distracting.  Windows 10, in the present form, is.  Note the attachment:  same background and snipping section though one is Windows 7 and the other is Windows 10.  Same color settings (I like dark schemes).  With Windows 7, you can just barely see the background through the taskbar...whereas with Windows 10 it is clearly seen (as onewarmslime also pointed out) and distracting.

I wouldn't say one is more distracting to the other. But I do find solid black(& solid white) can be distracting, but there are also instances where some wallpapers can cause distraction under a transparent taskbar like making labels harder to read & such.

But you are staring at the GUI all day, so it's defiantly a plus it it's pleasant to look at.

And if these mockups hold up, it wil be.

I wouldn't say one is more distracting to the other. But I do find solid black(& solid white) can be distracting, but there are also instances where some wallpapers can cause distraction under a transparent taskbar like making labels harder to read & such.

I prefer solid black backgrounds and black windows (easier on the eyes).  Another example, below, of the (in my opinion) poor (distracting) transparency with Windows 10 when compared to Windows 7.  Furthermore, with 7, if you want to disable transparency you can...easily...though I find aero glass makes it non distracting (Windows 10 transparency is)

post-21852-0-85465500-1420993529.jpg

post-21852-0-46553700-1420993534.jpg

I find it pointless in osx. Yosemite update was very lackluster for me, since I'm using an android device and don't even touch safari. 

I think it's kind of pretty, but can also easily get in the way of usability when there's text in the foreground... Can't quite decide whether this is 'transparency done right', or just Apple's very own Vista moment.... :p Thankfully it's completely optional.

attachicon.gifsafari2.png

My question is: will this dialogue still be present?:

1iegeneral.jpg

It's been there for over a decade; time for an overhaul (something easier to use/find things through; not just a theme change).

Finally, something you an I agree with. I hate this window with a passion of a million burning hypergiant suns. That, and these endless networking pop ups.

post-420821-0-34730900-1420994270.png

You mean like this? (IE 4)  :laugh:

General.jpg

Don't forget IE 2 and 3.  This particular dialog box has been poorly laid out since IE 1 ... and there are a few settings in there that affect Windows system wide...iirc

Interesting that had the ? mark on IE 2, took it away on IE 3 and brought it back in IE 4.  Just like the start menu.

post-21852-0-98823600-1421008137.jpg

and there are a few settings in there that affect Windows system wide...iirc

TBH, this stuff should all be combined into the Settings app.

TBH, this stuff should all be combined into the Settings app.

Well the stuff that isn't internet explorer specific I guess (like certificates which can affect 3rd party programs, email, etc).  However, you start combining every program into the settings application...who are bound to wind up with a charlie foxtrot.  The advanced menu in IE 11 alone has more than 40 lines (and we know how poorly the Modern UI uses space).

Finally, something you an I agree with. I hate this window with a passion of a million burning hypergiant suns. That, and these endless networking pop ups.

attachicon.gifIPs.png

at least it's better than that horrendous 1/4th of the screen side panel network manager!!!! bring back the w7 one!

I like it...lets see if devs develop extensions for it...if that happens then I could seriously think about ditching firefox which is just a memory and cpu hog

ranasrule, on 11 Jan 2015 - 21:12, said:

I like it...lets see if devs develop extensions for it...if that happens then I could seriously think about ditching firefox which is just a memory and cpu hog

What extensions do you want?

I hope with the new Spartan browser we still have the option to run it in full screen mode, like we now have the Metro version of IE.

I really enjoy using this version on my Yoga. It's just smooth and easy. Love it

There is nothing more pleasing than swiping R->L to open next page when reading Neowin. :D Love the metro IE, no need to click next! (wish WP8.x IE had it)