Custom built computer does not enter power save mode

I recently built a custom computer. Initially, the computer would go into power save mode and the case lighting would turn off. Now, the computer is always on and never goes into power save mode. No hardware changes have been made. I haven't changed anything with the power save settings.

I am also now having two additional issues:

1) Since the computer is always on now instead of entering power save mode, I go to turn on the monitor and the computer doesn't respond. No signal is getting to the monitor. I have to turn off the computer and turn it back on. 

2) The mouse doesn't respond when I click the buttons or move it around to get to the login screen. I have to take out the batteries, put them back in, and click the connect button.

Again, NONE of this happened when I turned the computer on for the first time after putting all the components together. Without any changes having been made other than the addition of gaming programs, the computer is now not working properly.

Check the Power connections to the motherboard

Reseat the video card

Update/Reinstall motherboard chipset drivers

Check Control Panel, Power options

Check mouse USB connection, update mouse driver

Run an Error Check

Check motherboard maker's web site for a BIOS update

• Like 1

I recently built a custom computer. Initially, the computer would go into power save mode and the case lighting would turn off. Now, the computer is always on and never goes into power save mode. No hardware changes have been made. I haven't changed anything with the power save settings.

Piece of software most likely.  Run msconfig and turn startup and non-ms services off.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976877

Some other commands you can run if it is hardware.

powercfg /requests

Enter that into an elevated command prompt, it'll tell you what is keeping bits of hardware from entering power save mode. It could also just be an issue with your motherboard, I know for the longest time I was never able to get my systems to enter power save mode at all because of motherboard incompatibilities.