I never thought Windows 10 would make me buy an Xbox One !

i cant remember where i read it anymore, but some journo confirmed it with ms.

See my post above. You were correct. It was on Xbox Wire.

Except not everyone has computers like you. This streaming actually does make sense when you look at the computer of the average joe. The majority of people have either old computers or cheap computers, which don't have the strenght of the XbOne. In your case, I don't think you'll need this function, but still there are plenty of things you can still do with the new Windows.

I think the average PC gamer has a PC that can do 900p@30fps or whatever most Xbox One games are now (or PS4 for that matter).  Sure they can't do 4k but that's not needed for this.  As time goes by more and more will upgrade too, that's a pretty low bar to hit in PC gaming.

If they can't even do 900p@30fps they're probably not PC gamers in the first place and wouldn't see much value is streaming from their Xbox One to a device they don't really see as a gaming device anyway.  I seriously doubt it's zero latency, full resolution, full frame rate though, I bet there are some limits they haven't announced yet. (I believe the PS4 is 720p@30fps so hopefully the limits are at least higher than that)

Really though I was just sharing my personal opinion with the key point being that I'd like to know if it works the other way (which WOULD have value to me personally).  I'm not saying I see ZERO value for ANYONE in it.  Also I'm not judging Win10 based on this feature.  I'm excited about Win10 despite the fact I'd probably never use this particular feature.

• Like 1

the average PC however is not a gaming PC, the waste majority of PC's have an integrated Intel graphics. and these people can still want to play their games on them, especially when the TV is busy with desperate housewives.

Not really to be honest. Lot of people own Android or Apple tablets. More people will be interested in streaming a console game to a tablet than a PC. If it did support Android and iOS tablets then it would be huge.

It would be better if it supported non-windows OSes as well but then I can't see that happening this early on. Windows x86 capable tablets are becoming increasingly affordable though (assuming Intel's bay trail and its successor are meeting supported requirements), which is a good thing.

It would be better if it supported non-windows OSes as well but then I can't see that happening this early on. Windows x86 capable tablets are becoming increasingly affordable though (assuming Intel's bay trail and its successor are meeting supported requirements), which is a good thing.

Any device that supports smartglass today probably could support it. There's one major hurdle blocking other devices though. They need to support the xbox one controller. 

Any device that supports smartglass today probably could support it. There's one major hurdle blocking other devices though. They need to support the xbox one controller. 

I didn't see them use the Xbox One controller wirelessly either so we're looking still to be using a USB / USB OTG cable - might cause some practicality and battery life issues with tablets.

I would much much rather Xbox One games be playable on a Windows 10 machine without the need for a Xbox One in the first place. 
I personally have no desire at all to buy a Xbox One, BUT, I would love the opportunity to play Halo 5 on the PC with the Xbox app and a controller. 
That would be freaking awesome!

I would much much rather Xbox One games be playable on a Windows 10 machine without the need for a Xbox One in the first place. 

I personally have no desire at all to buy a Xbox One, BUT, I would love the opportunity to play Halo 5 on the PC with the Xbox app and a controller. 

That would be freaking awesome!

What?  You want them to shoot themselves in the foot?

I'm thinking in the not so distant future, the idea is to release PC and Xbox versions across the board.

Probably never gonna happen since they'd want to sell consoles... they'd basically drive away the "couch gaming" market if they did that...

This is also just the start of things, Phil hinted at more news at GDC in March, I'm thinking they're bringing more Xbox first party games to Windows 10.  Don't forget that they're now allowing cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC. So I expect a number of games to come, with native Xbox Live support.

Did they say anything about having to buy the same game twice?

Fable legends is going to release day and date on the PC and Xbox One, they said so already. Now that doesn't mean others will but in most cases that's just for first party exclusives that would otherwise not come to the PC anyways.

I think the key thing here is two things, first, the new Xbox app on windows 10 gives you the full social experience on your PC, right down to Game DVR. Second, they now allow cross-platform play, through live. It's easy to see that later this year when Windows 10 comes out if you have it, that MS will also release some of it's first party games through the new windows store with full Xbox Live support and cross-platform play.

They might hold off and give the Xbox One the head start or not, I think it depends on the game, really doubt you'd see halo 5 out on the same day for PC. That doesn't mean they won't do it later on though, if it'll sell copies through the windows store.

this is really nice

Xbox One Game Streaming Targeting Full 1080p/60fps

Microsoft's just-announced Xbox One-to-PC game streaming service is targeting to run at full 1080p resolution and 60 frames-per-second. Partner director Mike Ybarra said today during a group interview attended by GameSpot that the service is running at 720p/30fps right now in the testing labs, but Microsoft expects this to improve to full HD by the time it launches publicly later this year.

Achieving maximum graphical output will, as you might expect, depend on bandwidth speeds in your home. "It will really largely depend on the scenario to which someone is trying to play," Ybarra said. "But we want to make sure that we can get the optimal experience."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-game-streaming-targeting-full-1080p-60fps/1100-6424799/

Did they say anything about having to buy the same game twice?

Nope, just showed the feature off, there could be a single price that gets you both the Xbox One and PC copy though, maybe for a bit more than if you want it just for one of the two.

I see no point in streaming Xbox One gameplay to a smaller PC monitor.

The ability to play games via a tablet though, that is useful though as you can move it around and have the game with you. But I don't own a windows tablet so hopefully they bring it over to android and/or ios.

I see no point in streaming Xbox One gameplay to a smaller PC monitor.

The ability to play games via a tablet though, that is useful though as you can move it around and have the game with you. But I don't own a windows tablet so hopefully they bring it over to android and/or ios.

you're a young single person aren't you, live in your own apartment or a basement with your own TV that only you control...

• Like 1

you're a young single person aren't you, live in your own apartment or a basement with your own TV that only you control...

I still consider myself a young person and I have a young family. 

I live in a regular house with two tv's and a projector in the house; living room, cinema room and study. Even with three of them they rarely get used by anyone other than me, the ipads get more use in my family than the tv's so I usually have full control / use of all of them.

This is a built in Windows 10 feature, I doubt they'll bring it to iOS or Android ever, it's probably tied to DirectX 12.  And if you game on your PC, like I do, on my 24" monitor, then be it a PC game or a Xbox One game streaming to it, it's the same thing.

They're even looking at streaming 360 games and also streaming your PC games to an Xbox One.

DirectX 12 is like the universal WinRT apps, you can target Xbox and PC at the same time. If the game developer wishes to do so, they can update their game for PC as well as Xbox One. For Xbox One only games, you can stream from your Xbox One.

For latency, it will not be possible to stream outside your LAN. I believe it will only be able to be adequately streamed using WiFi Direct or Ethernet.

Latencies:

Ethernet:

NetGraph01.jpg

WiFi Direct/Good WiFi signal:

NetGraph02.jpg

Bad WiFi signal:

NetGraph03.jpg

In game streaming, it isn't really about the speed once you get to a certain point, it is about the latency. That is the delay you will get with each frame, and the delay for each response to a key input.

Bingo!

If my kids not watching the TV, my missus is. By all means i can turn that TV over and start playing games but i wouldn't be popular.

This means i can sit in my chair at the end of a hard days work, pop open the lappy, plug in my controller and game away whilst the missus watches TV.

Brilliant idea, brilliant news.

I like the whole concept. The all-in-one Xbox One, with Windows 10, that integrate (hopefully) seamlessly. Can't wait for the free Win 10 upgrade to see how it fits with my One :)

I'm looking at it as now I don't need a One in my office or bedroom now. I can play Halo and Sunset Overdrive in any room! Also can use my Surface Pro 2 to play... let's call that Poop Mode. Though I would much rather games be released as universal apps... MCC on PC though... Now thats a dream.

Also long time lurker first time poster!

Edited by Sinderan