Start8 Issue

Today, I upgraded (not clean install) my Windows 8.1 with Start8 computer to Windows 10 TP Build 9926.

After uninstalling Start8, the Start Menu is broken (it doesn't show).

Any workaround for this issue? Already tried reinstalling and uninstalling Start8.

I just did the same last night, only when I uninstalled Start8 the Start Menu worked fine.  I'm not sure what happened with your install.  You can try reinstalling start8 and uninstalling it again? Or keeping it installed and setting the controls to show the Start Menu when the Start button is clicked instead of the Start8 menu. Or, if you downloaded the Tech Preview ISO you can try doing another "upgrade" on top of what you just installed.

I just did the same last night, only when I uninstalled Start8 the Start Menu worked fine.  I'm not sure what happened with your install.  You can try reinstalling start8 and uninstalling it again? Or keeping it installed and setting the controls to show the Start Menu when the Start button is clicked instead of the Start8 menu. Or, if you downloaded the Tech Preview ISO you can try doing another "upgrade" on top of what you just installed.

Thank you for your input. 

I rolled back to Windows 8.1, uninstalled and deleted all traces of Start8, and now I'll try to upgrade again.

It's probably not compatible. And why do you need Start8/StartIsBack/Classic Shell on Windows 10 anyways?

You didn't understand my issue. :)

Yes, Start8 works with W10.

But when I uninstalled it, the native Start Menu doesn't work.

Yes, Start8 works with W10.

But when I uninstalled it, the native Start Menu doesn't work.

Looks like someone else had the same issue.

I've been using Start8 on the Windows 10 technical preview for a couple months, up until tonight. Microsoft just released Build 9928 and, while I want to say Start8 is no longer compatible, but after uninstalling Start8 I've found that the reality is that Windows' taskbar with respect to the Start menu and the search functionality is completely borked, and there may be no workaround.

Using dual monitors with different native resolutions might be related to the problem. (Windows 10 puts a copy of the taskbar on every monitor.)

http://forums.stardock.com/460641

Maybe ask the folks over at Stardock?  Not sure why you want to use Start8 since you should be providing feedback and on the current start menu.  I do not like it either, in its present form, so I'm shooting off my personal feelings regarding it through Windows Feedback.

It's probably not compatible. And why do you need Start8/StartIsBack/Classic Shell on Windows 10 anyways?

Because start menu in Windows 10 sucks. It did show hopes with earlier builds but starting with 9926 it's a miniature windows 8.1 menu. I hate that they alphabetize all files and folders together under "all apps"

Because start menu in Windows 10 sucks. It did show hopes with earlier builds but starting with 9926 it's a miniature windows 8.1 menu. I hate that they alphabetize all files and folders together under "all apps"

Well you see, there's this feature in this Technical Preview called "feedback".

Well you see, there's this feature in this Technical Preview called "feedback".

I know and have done that. Just sharing my thoughts here as well.

For the record, I DO NOT want to use Start8.

I used it (and loved it) on Windows 8.1.

Now I want to use the native Start Menu, but it's broken because of Start8, even after removing it.

Yes, the start menu in 9926 is a big step backwards over 9879, as I already wrote here.

You still have to remove all tiles one by one, and once you got rid off them all, it doesn't shrink down to ordinary size as 9879 still did, but stays at the humongous size, giving you a huge amount of empty space. It can't be resized anymore either. Plus, they removed the search bar from the start menu, which is also nasty.

Yes, the start menu in 9926 is a big step backwards over 9879, as I already wrote here.

You still have to remove all tiles one by one, and once you got rid off them all, it doesn't shrink down to ordinary size as 9879 still did, but stays at the humongous size, giving you a huge amount of empty space. It can't be resized anymore either. Plus, they removed the search bar from the start menu, which is also nasty.

You'll be able to resize it in future builds. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a registry tweak that let's you enable resizing the start menu. I agree that manually selecting tile by tile is not very efficient compared to being able to select multiple tiles and quickly group them or delete them.

Thank you all for your input, this is a great community.

I solved the issue by going back to Windows 8.1, uninstalling Start8 there, and upgrading to Windows 10 again.

Installed win 10 on a Surface 3 and with current start 8 menu installed.

Surface went into a constant hang and reboot until I was finally able to uninstall Start 8.

Once done Surface worked well with win 10

Hibernation on a Surface 3 and Windows 10 still sucks. Disabled it first chnace I got.

Wait for things to settle down before I add Start 8 back into the mix.

I resized the boxes and will deal with it.

UPDATE: Start8 and Windows 10 definitely don't like each other.

I got Win 10 to work great without Start8, but after the first reboot the native Start Menu was broken.

I rolled back to Win 8.1 again, and now I can't get Start8 to work there.

I'll do a clean install of Win 10 without Start8.

PS. I agree. The Start Menu as of now is horrible. But with our input I'm confident it will be great.

• 6 months later...

Well, all I have to say is I totally forgot about my 'Startdock Start8' install before my 10 upgrade and now my Windows 10 start menu is 100 % screwed up. UGH!

Note that the Windows 10 installer warned me that my Sophos Endpoint Protection was incompatible and I un-installed it thinking that I had escaped a catastrophe... but nope. Unfortunately, the Windows 10 installer DID NOT inform me of an incompatibility with 'Stardock Start8' and the upgrade proceeded normally. Obviously, when Windows 10 upgraded and started up for the first time, I notice that Start 8 is installed. Logically, one would think you could could uninstall this program without effect...However, if you attempt to un-install 'Start8' from a Windows 10 upgrade system YOU WILL FRY IT. **DON'T DO IT.** 

I have a an oddly weird functioning Windows 10 Start menu now by following THESE directions. But it is FAR from a normal Windows 10 Start Menu, that is quite fluid and nice on a clean system.

If ANYONE figures out how to get the ORIGINAL Windows 10 start menu re-installed, save for a wipe and clean install, please post your solution here...

Frustrated...

C

Edited by prozacman

I have the same problem. I've tried all the recommended fixes online, and I've had Microsoft do a remote session and try to fix it yesterday, but it was a failure. They are supposed to be calling me shortly with a "Senior Technician" to try again. I also tried installing Start8 again, and uninstalling to no avail. If anyone has a solution other than reinstalling the entire operating system, please share.