Windows 10, Media Center and Cable Card

So, I've been running network cable card tuners to record TV and watch it on the computer and Xbox. We have been very happy with this setup, but it seems that MS is leaving us behind. Xbox One doesn't have media center extender to play the encrypted/DRM content and Windows 10 apparently wont have media center at all.

Is there any alternative on W10/Xbox One that will allow me to keep running my own DVR that can be accessed on other computers and the xbox one? I looked at Tivo, but they don't have windows apps, so it looks like I would be stuck watching it on the one TV and not on a PC. Other solutions only show live TV or possibly record non-DRM content. I cant find anything that does what Media Center does.

Any ideas?

So, I've been running network cable card tuners to record TV and watch it on the computer and Xbox. We have been very happy with this setup, but it seems that MS is leaving us behind. Xbox One doesn't have media center extender to play the encrypted/DRM content and Windows 10 apparently wont have media center at all.

Is there any alternative on W10/Xbox One that will allow me to keep running my own DVR that can be accessed on other computers and the xbox one? I looked at Tivo, but they don't have windows apps, so it looks like I would be stuck watching it on the one TV and not on a PC. Other solutions only show live TV or possibly record non-DRM content. I cant find anything that does what Media Center does.

Any ideas?

I doubt they are going to kill WMC but I don't think they are going to use resources updating it either.

It is a fact that the Xbox One does not have the Media Center extender. This is the only reason I don't have one now. I'm not enough of a gamer to give that up.

I read somewhere that the Media Center dev team had been dissolved at MS and was not expected to be available for Windows 10. I hope that was just a nasty rumor and it will continue to be an option. In the meantime, I would like to see if there are any other alternatives that would allow me to run Windows 10 / Xbox One and still use my tuners.

The issue is NOT Microsoft (or even Media Center) but the drive by the non-Microsoft stakeholders to external devices (or - even more disruptive), software built into HDTVs themselves.  In both cases, the stream is unidirectional (into the TV - not onto the home LAN); basically a form of "hard DRM".

It is currently not supported in Windows 10.

I've said time and time again since the launch of XBOX Video that MS have zero interest in maintaining Windows Media Center.

My conspiracy theory is that they got way better licensing agreements on content for XBOX Video once they agreed to let WMC wither and die.

Oh, let's not forget that they also sold their other media delivery platform when XBOX Video became a conflict of interest to ATT-UVerse (and others).

So, I would say don't hold your breath for WMC in 10.    Also remember Sinofsky said on his way out that their telemetry analysis of Win7 showed < 1% of Windows users used the media center feature.

If they release a WMC for Windows 10, I would like to see it unbundled from the OS and sold as Stand-alone software.  No more messing with product keys to add the feature.

• Like 2

I looked at Tivo, but they don't have windows apps, so it looks like I would be stuck watching it on the one TV and not on a PC.

There are some other apps that solve this for TiVo. I have a Windows 8.1 machine acting as my home server. I use Universal Media Server (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/) to share with BluRay Players and my PS3. I use StreamBaby (http://sourceforge.net/projects/streambaby/) to stream from my Win8.1 machine to other TiVo's in the house.

Although I have some concerns about TiVo handling MP4/MKV files. Since I moved away from Windows Home Server 2011 and updated the software I use to archive my DVD/Blu-Ray discs, I've had some stuttering issues when the same file plays fine on the PC/tablet.