Meet Vivaldi, a new browser from the former CEO of Opera

Meet Vivaldi, a new browser from the former CEO of Opera

Hot on the heels of Microsoft announcing its newest browser, Project Spartan, we

That's a strange name to give a browser, if ever I saw one. I'm on the fence about the UI changing colour depending on the site's dominant colour, but it is an interesting approach, if a bit distracting. 

The colour changing is a bit distracting actually. It's also slow but what do you expect at this stage. I'll check back once they go gold.

Here's a screenshot

HTML 5 Test gives it supporting 511 of the 555 points.

(https://html5test.com/)

Can confirm that's the same score as Chrome, it's using it's engine.

Firefox gets 445 (35.0.1), and IE (Desktop) gets 343 (IE 11 on Win8.1)

wWZanwU.png?1

• Like 1

and how it presents/manages browsing histories & bookmarks?

i really hate how Chrome handle histories, i like the Palemoon handle it.

Bookmarks are presented as sidebar panel. The browsing history is accessible via the Speed Dial.

Mind you, this is an early tech preview - I'm sure they'll happily accept feedback and suggestions for improvements.

Already has more promise than the new opera. I really tried to give the new opera a real shot but I just don't like the direction they are going. They finally stated adding bookmarks manager etc... but they way they've gone about it is feeling increasingly disjointed and all over the place (and bizarre design decisions galore, like not being able to drag multiple items at once in the bookmark manager even when you've selected multiple items), and its progressing at a snail's pace.

Vivaldi's sidebar feels implemented nicely, looks good, doesn't take up much space, and everything is where you need it. I'll be watching this project, pretty good for the first tech preview.

Don't care for how it looks, that weird Office looking bottom bar might be it, it's like they are trying badly to pull off the Metro look 

Like mentioned, there's some  UI lag, the tab preview thing is cute, but seems unnecessary 

I'll give it an update or two before getting rid of it, looks like it will likely end up like Opera, another failed sidenote of a browser

What are the engines this uses? I remember back in the presto days, Opera had incompatibility (well websites would purposefully do it according to user agent) with gmail and hotmail.

Ill try this out later, just for teh sake of being a loyal old opera fanboy :laugh:

What are the engines this uses? I remember back in the presto days, Opera had incompatibility (well websites would purposefully do it according to user agent) with gmail and hotmail.

Ill try this out later, just for teh sake of being a loyal old opera fanboy :laugh:

It's based on Chromium, thus uses Blink.

It's based on Chromium, thus uses Blink.

So pretty much what said below...

Pretty, but "just another Chromium clone" doesn't do it for me anymore.

Basically another shell...

Haven't tried it yet, after I do, ill be sure to post my thoughts.

Basically another shell...

Haven't tried it yet, after I do, ill be sure to post my thoughts.

Basically -- I'm not knocking it, it does have potential and it is purty, just bored to tears with the underlying engine, but who knows, maybe it'll be a better Chrome than Chrome once they're done with it.

Basically -- I'm not knocking it, it does have potential and it is purty, just bored to tears with the underlying engine, but who knows, maybe it'll be a better Chrome than Chrome once they're done with it.

Well i've no beef with the engine, if it somehow enhances funcionality like old opera did, i'm all for it.  In old opera (before the engine change) you had mouse and keyboard gestures, these got lost in translation to chromium.