Let's Make This Clear: Windows 10 is NOT A SUBSCRIPTION [Rant]

I think everyone is reading too much into the "free for first year statement". I take it at face value to be similar to the initial offer of Windows 8 for $39.99. That was a discount, but the same rules apply. You get the full OS of WIndows 10 with no catches or clauses for your device. You get support like anyone else and you DO NOT have to purchases anything else to use it, now and through the future as long as it is on the same device you installed it on.

Microsoft needs to get everyone on the same code base and this is the best way to do it. They are sick of the XP hangers on and they certainly want to move Win7 users to the new OS, so making it free for a year is the best way to do it.

Yes the next version of Windows after 10 will probably be subscription based, or they may introduce a version of Win10 that is done by subscription, but this free version isn't that one.

Will insiders get a free copy? I mean non-windows users.

Windows 8.1 costs almost U$150 over here. When 8 was released they have a special deal for windows-users and non-users to buy it for U$ 25. It was good attempt to stop piracy.

I think they giving it for free for the first year upgrade (Insiders, W7 and W8/8.1) maybe a good idea, they can make profit over other platforms and achieve windows as a service, essential to run those new things.

The thing about this 1-year mess, is that some people always wait to update their system, look at XP, so giving it for free MS wants to encourage those people to tryout and reduce the fragmentation of windows market share.

The piracy is high in some countries like Brazil, India and China. Giving it for free or charging a small amount of money for it can make a lot of difference.

Yahoo is a cess pit where all faith in humanity goes to die - honestly, the comments section of Yahoo make this place look like it is dominated by Rhodes scholars.

It came to my knowledge recently that a lot of people are thinking Windows 10 will only be free for one year, then you have to pay for the following years.

• I believe this thinking came from Windows "365" here: https://www.neowin.net/news/rumors-of-windows-365-pop-up-thanks-to-neowin-reader
  • Windows 10 will be free to download for a full year
  • exception of this is enterprise users (which operate separately anyways)
  • Once downloaded, you can keep Windows 10 forever (given that your PC runs "forever")
  • There is no annual, monthly license 
  • Windows 10 is not just holographic, it contains other improvements

If you see anyone giving out false information, please correct them on any news site, comment section, in any conversation, messaging, and social media thread. The media has skewed the public's perception of Windows, we can not let them win. Analysts and general news reporter (like BGR and Yahoo!) are not Microsoft specialized and all they care about is the number of clicks on their articles. Neowin, Windows Central, WinBeta, Thurrott.com, and allaboutmicrosoft.com are good sources. Thurrott, MJF, and Brad are reliable Microsoft reporters, they cover Microsoft for a living.

Warning click bait ahead:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-won-t-free-might-hoped-163531271.html

etc. etc...

Does this count as a real world issue now?

Thanks for the clarification, I was confused with all the mixed reactions out there.