One very picky motherboard?

Hi everyone,

So while I was biking, I found a desktop computer so I took it home.

The computer is mostly complete except for the missing RAM.

I have a lot of different RAM laying around, but every time I put some in and turn on the computer, I get continuously beep, meaning bad RAM (and I am certain my name brand RAM works fine).

I thought the motherboard is bad, but then decided to look at the supported RAM list and I found two different pairs (each is 2GB (2x1GB)) that are on the list and the motherboard POST fine with either pair.

After that I was able to install Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

So I am wondering if I am dealing with one very picky motherboard or are there issues?

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+

Corsair VX550W

I don't remember those boards being extremely picky.  Most P45 boards would post with anything but sometimes not pass memtest.  Could be a degrading chipset.  They were known to run hot and bake chips around them as well (the chipset on the mb).

- Which revision your motherboard is?

1.0 or 1.1?

- Updated BIOS?

- Read "Memory Support List"?

- Board support DDR2 1.8V RAMs with 1066 support easily while above only few selected modules as per Memory Support List?

It should be picky about memory though it could be some other issue? Tried cleaning RAMs connector or blowing dust from motherboard RAM Slots?

I love your bicycle adventures. Was the desktop computer in a vulnerable sleep mode when you found it?

That motherboard is picky about the RAM it uses. If it's working fine with something that is supported, that's good.

• Like 3

Yes, that motherboard is definitely picky about the RAM it will work with. I had a similar unfortunate experience with it... rev 1.0 that is. Perhaps 1.1 fixed it? That being said I have NEVER had luck with Gigabyte boards... but I haven't tried one in like 3 years so maybe they've improved now.

- Which revision your motherboard is?

1.0 or 1.1?

- Updated BIOS?

- Read "Memory Support List"?

- Board support DDR2 1.8V RAMs with 1066 support easily while above only few selected modules as per Memory Support List?

It should be picky about memory though it could be some other issue? Tried cleaning RAMs connector or blowing dust from motherboard RAM Slots?

motherboard: rev 1.0

BIOS: Award F3

I did read the "Memory Support List". It literally won't boot with any memory that is not on the support list as far as I can tell.

I already cleaned the whole motherboard along with the RAM slots.

Yes, that motherboard is definitely picky about the RAM it will work with. I had a similar unfortunate experience with it... rev 1.0 that is. Perhaps 1.1 fixed it? That being said I have NEVER had luck with Gigabyte boards... but I haven't tried one in like 3 years so maybe they've improved now.

The one I have is also rev 1.0

I don't remember those boards being extremely picky.  Most P45 boards would post with anything but sometimes not pass memtest.  Could be a degrading chipset.  They were known to run hot and bake chips around them as well (the chipset on the mb).

IDK

With most of the other motherboards I deal with, they are practically "all-you-can eat" affairs.

Those motherboards work with essentially any memory as long as the memory didn't go bad.

Something similar issue reported on anther forum - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/38211-ga-ep45-ud3l-memory-issues.html

Another something similar issue - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2048715

Possible solutions mentioned over Internet:

- Increasing voltages for RAM to 2.2V from 2.0V

As in - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2048715

- Another possible solution in this thread over one forum

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/31786-ep43-ud3l-q9400-wont-post-keeps-rebooting.html#post295784