Did the ordered $79 HP Windows tablets arrive?

So i've spent much of the morning using this tablet in the Windows 8 environment.

I must say, compared to Android, or iOS what a horrible tablet experience

1) There are no good apps. None of the ones I want that are available on other platforms.

2) The DPI scale-ling sucks.

3) Everytime i Open the keyboard it seems like it pushes my content up.

Maybe it's just me but as of this moment, I put a macbook pro on my lap to type this and OMG what a breath of fresh air. I hate tablets in general for a lot of things, but Windows 8 has been far the worst out of all the experiences.

When I picked up my nexus 7 my eyes let out a sigh of relief. Sooo much easier to see.

Even worse... try to do a restore to factory.  Unless they've changed it... your eyes won't need to see better, because you'll tear them out trying to get it to work.  It's really *that* bad.  The restore is in a cmd window, which is cut off portrait.  Then when the dialogs finally start appearing, they're cut off also in portrait.  And you can't rotate to landscape.

Even worse... try to do a restore to factory.  Unless they've changed it... your eyes won't need to see better, because you'll tear them out trying to get it to work.  It's really *that* bad.  The restore is in a cmd window, which is cut off portrait.  Then when the dialogs finally start appearing, they're cut off also in portrait.  And you can't rotate to landscape.

Well once my cool USB stick arrives, i'm gonna back it up. Then i'm going to try Windows 10. Then i'm going to try android x86.

Ergo are you saying they use no resources when minimized?

Modern apps get suspended to disk like when you hibernate Windows. They use a small amount of disk space when suspended, but no RAM, or CPU. The benefit is that resuming a suspended app is usually much faster than starting it from scratch -- just as resuming a hibernated computer is faster than a normal boot-up -- not to mention that the app resumes right where you left it.

yes, that's true, I was going to mention that at the end of my post ,but I wanted to see if that was the very first next comment. But still, those who want to , android makes it easy. Windows 8 doesn't. Principle of the thing.

If I never close an app wouldn't there be potentially 50 apps listed on the side.

No. Windows limits the apps it actually shows you on the side. But if you open the app from start it will resume if it's still loaded.  There is also a limit to the number of apps Windows will suspend.

Short version, don't close apps unless they are having problems.

-Forjo

Living with my Surface 3 / VivoTab 8 made me learn that many many apps on Android or iOS can be replaced simply with the Web...  Like the Candy Crush example, all those little games can be played on the Web, on Facebook, ....

Not ALL apps can be replaced by the Web, I know.  I do miss some, but it's not that bad in the end.

My real problem is the apps available for Windows Modern are, most of the time, lesser than the same apps on Android or iOS.  Devs just don't care about Modern and don't care about features parity.

But running Office and Photoshop on my tablet, and playing some (older) Steam games is quite nice!

No I'm saying that tablet use cases aren't app centric like a phone. the app most ios users use outside of safari would be Facebook and candy crush. and random other games they play for 5 minutes or less. it's a sofa browser device. and a gaming device for kids with mini tablets.

Any other app that's really used on a tablet can be replaced with a browser or exist.

far better in usability. the touch interface is far superior. even the charms, which MS is unfortunately throwing out with the bathwater. The way you quick switch apps, and always go back to the last app if you flip from the side and browse more apps if you quick flip. and the way ui uses slide gestures to go back and forward, while safari forces you to hit the tiny awkwardly placed button.

the os just is a lot smoother to use. the only app I might miss is my bank, but I sign on to the web version just fine, so that's mostly an issue on my phone, but they're waiting for testing to finish on their WP app now so then I have no complaints on the phone either.

:D I can't stop laughing on this end. Lol "sure". So many generalisations,where does one even start.

How have people found the Winbook?

I've never really used Windows 8, but it might be good to try/play around with. Microcenter have it for $59, and I'm going to the states for a week next week and I'm tempted to pick one up.

I'm guessing the 16GB onboard storage won't leave much wiggle room after the OS is installed?

I own a Nexus 7 tablet but ever since I got a Win 8.1 tablet, the Nexus 7 sits mostly unused.  I love being able to use the same suite of programs on my tablet as I use on my laptop or my desktop.  I don't use many Windows Modern apps but stick mostly with standard desktop software.

How have people found the Winbook?

I've never really used Windows 8, but it might be good to try/play around with. Microcenter have it for $59, and I'm going to the states for a week next week and I'm tempted to pick one up.

I'm guessing the 16GB onboard storage won't leave much wiggle room after the OS is installed?

WimBoot only uses around 4GB as it keeps the OS compressed.

Really impressed with mine, use it far more than I did with my old Nexus.

Hopefully if Microsoft merge the App store with the Windows Phone store and optimise it better in Windows 10 then it'll be an even better experience.

16467960889_eba1fa189a_c.jpg

So I got the Android 4.4 x86 installed via the EFI image installer but it was SUPER SUPER slow. Didn't help the adapter which plugs into the bottom of the tablet which allows USB to be plugged in must be a HUGE bottle neck (Though, that wasn't causing the slowness for android, as android was installed to the internal drive). It made USB read speeds ATROCIOUS! The 1st part of the Windows 10 install took 30 mins :laugh:

As expected the tablet experience with Windows 10 does suck some hard balls (as I new it would). But I expect that to change with the upcoming build which is going to be released shortly.

The EFI Bios only support 32bit. Not 64 bit, so it truly is a pain to find anything that will install.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy a tablet that supported both 32bit and 64bit EFI. I would not buy one like this that only supports 32bit EFI, its' a TOTAL pain in the ass.

Hmm Im used to Android and this Windows tablet sure has limited app support.It doesnt support Sky Go and can anybody recommend something similar to InSSIDDer?

So I got the Android 4.4 x86 installed via the EFI image installer but it was SUPER SUPER slow. Didn't help the adapter which plugs into the bottom of the tablet which allows USB to be plugged in must be a HUGE bottle neck (Though, that wasn't causing the slowness for android, as android was installed to the internal drive). It made USB read speeds ATROCIOUS! The 1st part of the Windows 10 install took 30 mins :laugh:

As expected the tablet experience with Windows 10 does suck some hard balls (as I new it would). But I expect that to change with the upcoming build which is going to be released shortly.

The EFI Bios only support 32bit. Not 64 bit, so it truly is a pain to find anything that will install.

Is this the proper way of creating hp stream 7  Windows 8.1 with bing system recovery. Do I go to control panel, system and security,  file history, click "recovery" link in the lower left corner and select create a recovery drive.

Is this the proper way of creating hp stream 7  Windows 8.1 with bing system recovery. Do I go to control panel, system and security,  file history, click "recovery" link in the lower left corner and select create a recovery drive.

Yep, that's what I did.

Yep, that's what I did.

What's the flashdrive size requirement to create a system recovery? Can I insert a micro sd inside the tablet to create a system recovery or is flashdrive a requirement?

I'm thinking of using a micro sd usb adapter to create system recovery will this method work?

I just tried and its looking for a minimum of 8GB but for some reason the micro USB to standard I tried doesn't enable the thumb drive to be recognized and yes it looks like USB back up only [no network or SD card support]

Is the performance similar to Windows 8.1 or is Windows 10 performance is better. Did you try using the tablet mode? How does button, text..etc look is it much better than Windows 8.1 button, text..etc

In my hp stream 7 with Windows 8.1 when I set "auto hide the taskbar" I can't seem to show the taskbar when swiping on the edge of the touchscreen. It isn't annoying in Windows 8.1 but I'm pretty sure it will be In Windows 10. I read that improvement on edges gestures https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10031-impoves-gesture-support-for-low-end-tabletsDoes. Can you check if this issue is in Windows 10 current build?