[Mockup] Windows 10 Project (Please vote on UserVoice!)

Good, lol.  But then where are they?  Because I see, "Home", "Share", "View", etc, but if the ribbon was removed like you said in the first post, and they're not drop downs menus, what happens when you click them?.

Guess what? :D

ribbon.png

(that's the only place to have no clutter :rolleyes: )

Interesting idea with the horizontal scrolling. 

I like how your start menu moved the power button to the left column again, because that's where it should be.

I think there should be a full-screen button, and it should also be in the left column as well, perhaps at the top towards the right of where the user name is located. Right-clicking for full-screen actually isn't a bad idea either though.

In the tiles area, there should be less space around the edge, like the tiles should come closer to the edge of the actual start menu "box".

The search box really should be in the start menu, not the task bar, and I think having Cortana integrated in the start menu (in the left column) would

really fit nicely. 

The start menu in builds 9879 and earlier had the layout down perfectly I think. Everything just seemed to fit together nicely and it was more compact-looking. Either that or it could be that I've just grown used to it from using it for several months. The start menu in build 9926 kinda threw me off maybe. xD

As far as the rest of the mockup goes, I LOVE how you made the explorer. It's very clean looking. :3

I love lengthy feedbacks! :D

Do you see yourself using the full-screen button on a daily basis? I thought that after you have set your preference there would be no need to change it (or at least not so often), so I opted for removing the button.

But it is just me, maybe most of users would act differently. I honestly don't know.

As far as tiles being closer to the edge, you have to consider that there must be enough room for the scrollbar. Also, transparency would be far less noticeable.

I think we're on the same page regards implementing the search IN the Start screen, build 9926 implementation is simply...bad.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll take everything in consideration! What's your thought on the new compact ribbon UI (I guess tablet users may like it)

Microsoft account What's this?
someone@example.com
Password
Keep me signed in

Ok man, you can check all my mockups here (constantly updated):

http://metroversal.deviantart.com/gallery/

;)

Take the tabs off, and you'll have room for the Ribbon. ;) I don't think it should be on the bottom. It doesn't match anything else in the OS. Plus, it's missing items.

All good and well but the mockup just shows a photo viewer on steroids.

This would be nice for media viewing but for a true indication of how explorer would you'd need to show how other file system objects are represented.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry if I've been quiet lately, there's so stuff much going on!

I'm sorry, but File Explorer is far too dumbed down and simplified for my taste. 

Hey thanks for the feedback! What to you mean with "dumbed down"? Is there anything in particular that you can't do with a File Explorer like the one in the mockups? I do agree that the UI has been simplified a lot, but I thought that's a good thing. There are also a few new features like tabs support which isn't supported on Windows 8's File Explorer, power users may appreciate.
Please let me know :)

All good and well but the mockup just shows a photo viewer on steroids.

This would be nice for media viewing but for a true indication of how explorer would you'd need to show how other file system objects are represented.

It's not a photo viewer :laugh:
I know I haven't added many shots regarding file management, but of course that's a critical part of File Explorer.

In the meantime check this exclusive shot of one of the new apps I'm working on (still work in progress). Feedbacks are always welcome!

Ke6zcIg.png

Other apps I'm working on:
- VLC (done - yeah, I know it's not a MS app!)
- Regedit (still wip - has a "path bar" for easily copy and paste paths)
- Task Manager (still wip)

• Like 1

Hey, here's finally the new shots I promised!

File Explorer:

t932qfQ.jpg
RVINSBJ.png

1. Before some of you start complaining for the "hamburger" button I'd like to tell you that it's not mandatory to use it, the easiest way to access the side menu is to swipe to the right. The hamburger button is a sort of "visual cue" that remarks the presence of a menu on the left.
  2. The menu items are vertically centered for an easier experience for all sized hands.
  3. Supports cloud services besides OneDrive

Notepad:
DtAkJjX.jpg
vJyqpBN.jpg
vXkuIpM.png

1. Added tabs support*
  2. Support supports several programming languages

* Phone version doesn't support tabs

VLC:

kAauExK.jpg
duTvZrB.png
An example of Windows 10 universal app featuring "metro 2.0" (Xbox version will come later)

REGISTRY EDITOR:

ENOnOX5.jpg
5eQdKTt.jpg

1. New UI. Not a realy priority but it hasn't changed a lot in the last 20 years I think.
  2. Added an address bar (you can copy/paste paths)

If you like the mockups, please consider to support the idea on UserVoice (remeber to add 3 votes), here's the link to vote:
UserVoice

Also, if you leave an constructive feedback that would be much apprecia

• Like 2