Is it worth putting an SSD in this PC?

My sister has a Pavillion p7-1254  desktop PC: specs here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135882

My question is would an SSD appreciably speed this PC up, especially in boot time and launching programs over it's 7200rpm HD? I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD in a PC which is too small for my needs, so I was thinking of getting a 512GB SSD for me, and installing the Crucial M4 in my sisters PC.

I would appreciate your input

If a computer supports SATA drives, it is worth it (by any measuring stick EXCEPT sheer capacity) - Solid-State Drives whack platter drives for the same reason USB sticks whack optical drives; sheer performance.

If the computer in question is a (legacy) laptop, the capacity measuring stick can actually be brought out as well - I'm looking hard at a 512GB Crucial MX200 for my "Steel Soldier" HP Pavilion dv9000.  (The "Steel Soldier" cryptonym it earned the hard way - two tours in Bahrain and one in Afghanistan with the original owner - right now, it's running Windows 10 Technical Preview as only OS, and doing it swimmingly.  The only quibble I have is the paltry 150GB platter drive it originally came with.)

Yes - 512GB is severe overkill; I don't have a partition on my DESKTOP PC that big.  Yet the MX200 is all of $250USD locally - an MX100 of the same capacity is all of $40USD less (same retailer).

• Like 1

Resounding yes

Even if the motherboard doesn't support the high speed aspect, I still have my old (7+ years) Athlon dual core, and the difference in boot and loadup times of applications are incredible, I was enjoying 45-60 second bootup times, and almost instant loading times on applications and games (Photoshop, Diablo3, StarCraft HoTS etc...)

When I was using my 7200 rpm drive, the bootup was double that, and loading could take up to, and over 30 seconds, depending on application

SDD on a dual-core hyper-threading, budget PC?  No.

Specs supplied in the link suggests it's a quad core

SSD are not really reliable u less you buy an huh end but will improve the computer. Can can spend about $80 for a 128 or 256GB that will serve the OS just fine and just get a 1TB for storage.

• Like 1

Absolutely yes. I have used SSD's on old 6/7 year old Pentium dual core E5300 machines 2GB RAM with a huge performance difference when using day-to-day tasks, even without them supporting AHCI.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input. From the motherboard specs in my link under internal connections it looks like it is SATA II. So that would give a nice speed increase i would think. My PC is SATA III and with the Crucial M4 it boots in about 10 seconds. I'm not expecting that from her PC but it should nicely increase boot times and launching programs. She pretty much just goes on the internet and reads email so it should make it feel like a new computer to her.

SDD on a dual-core hyper-threading, budget PC?  No.

Actually - yes.

SSDs are no longer expensive; remember, I pointed to the Crucial MX200 being the equivalent of $0.50USD (fifty cents US) per gigabyte of capacity.

Further, the notebook in question is still quite capable; it's running Windows 10 today - not XP.

Lastly, SSDs are the ONLY way to add both capacity and performance to an otherwise capacity-constrained notebook (or laptop, for that matter).  (In both cases, the issue is the physical size of the hardware itself.)

Yes - I won't be able to max out performance due to the slower SATA ports of the notebook's nForce chipset.  (However, the same argument applies to still-serviceable notebook chipsets from Intel - such as not just G4x, but even G3x.  SSDs still make sense there.)

It's still about bang-for-buck - why throw away a decent notebook when a not-expensive upgrade will more than triple the storage capacity and still at least double performance (despite the bottleneck)?

• Like 2

I'd say absolutely. If your sister is happy with the computer and doesn't want/need/can't afford a new one it's a definite boost. Of course it depends on what she'd like to do with the computer, but in general, there wouldn't be any downside in it.

However, be sure to keep a copy of the OS install files on the harddrive, as well as keep the harddrive for storage. A 128 GB SSD will otherwise get filled up pretty quick.

/Regert.