Rock Band 4 Headed to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

2015 launch and compatible with your existing Rock Band music library.

Apparently you will need to buy new instruments though.

source

From the forum post:

And here's a handy FAQ for you!

Q: When is RB4 coming out?!
A: Rock Band will be out this year. Stay tuned for more specifics in the coming months.

Q: What consoles is RB4 coming out for?
A: Rock Band 4 will be released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Q: Why not Wii / Wii U / PC?
A: Due to shifting production priorities and capabilities of the studio, we don

Great news. But as much as I love the Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) series, I'll probably have to give this a miss; I wouldn't buy an Xbox One just for this (or for anything, really), and while I'll probably end up buying a PS4 this year, I wouldn't get it there, either, since I won't be able to bring all the DLC I bought on the 360 over. Fingers crossed for a PC release in future and a way to transfer console DLC over.

Great news. But as much as I love the Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) series, I'll probably have to give this a miss; I wouldn't buy an Xbox One just for this (or for anything, really), and while I'll probably end up buying a PS4 this year, I wouldn't get it there, either, since I won't be able to bring all the DLC I bought on the 360 over. Fingers crossed for a PC release in future and a way to transfer console DLC over.

I could definitely see that as being a problem for people who went from the 360 to the PS4.

I have to admit that the ability to use my existing library is one of the main reasons I'm excited about the game.  If I had to start over I may pass as well.  I have Rock Band 1-3 on PS3 though along with Green Day: Rock Band (got it on clearance for cheap just to add the tracks to my collection...) and Rock Band Blitz not to mention quite a bit of DLC song packs so the ability to play all those tracks of bought on my PS4 is a huge deal to me.  Heck I'd be happy with a free or cheap version of the game that came with no songs (like Singstar for PS4 does) that just allowed me to play the tracks I've already bought.  I guess that wouldn't really help Harmonix though unless they could make enough money selling new tracks and instruments.

They said the Wii and PC versions aren't currently planned but if you are a 360 owner and they do eventually release a PC version maybe MS's newly announced Win10/Xbox cross buy system will allow you to use your 360 song library on your Win10 system.

2015 launch and compatible with your existing Rock Band music library.

Apparently you will need to buy new instruments though.

source

In your second post it says they're trying to make it work with existing hardware.

is it going to be 60FPS and 1080p?

It was on the previous games, so it should be the same story with this one.

In your second post it says they're trying to make it work with existing hardware.

The apparently comment I made was based on the announcement post where they talk about the new instruments and make no mention of compatibility with the old ones.  It was before I saw the FAQ and I linked to the source so you could decide for yourself.  The second post was a quote of the FAQ from the forum in why they say they are trying but I'm still not sure if that means they'll succeed or not.  Some others are reporting you CAN use the old instruments, I honestly don't know but again, I posted the sources for my comments if you've heard for certain one way or the other feel free to add.

It does seem like they're dropping keyboard and pro guitar though (while keeping pro drums).  I don't really care about pro guitar, there are better games then rock band if you seriously want to learn guitar so it's kind of silly since the regular guitar is so ridiculously far from the real thing.  On the other hand I thought the keyboard was good enough for a rhythm game and I'm not sure why they cut it.  I'm cool with them not adding more but losing keyboards seems like a bad idea.  Maybe they'll add it back in DLC?!?

The problem with keyboards and pro guitar/bass is that they required significantly more testing. When they started with Guitar Hero, you had five lanes and that was it. The charting wasn't even trying to be accurate, but it had to get the tempo right. When they added rhythm (or was that GH3, which wasn't them?) they doubled their effort, but it still wasn't much. Rockband 1 had vocals, but they were poorly implemented, and the drums had to be accurate. That was the big thing about the drum kit. If you got a real tom, kick, snare, and ride/crash and followed the track, you were actually playing the song (though more toms and snares would get you closer in variety). The keys also had to be accurate, but there were what, 20-odd lanes? And pro guitar/bass kicked it up to 104. This added so much work that pro guitar/bass wasn't even made available to the Rockband Network.

As a one-time Rockband Network tester... We got access to a hidden menu in Rockband 3 where you could have the game autoplay songs. You've probably seen videos of this on YouTube. It's got weird numbers on it you don't see in normal gameplay. You can slow down the play, or speed it up, or skip ahead, or back. You could play yourself or have the whole band play, but they wanted you to watch all instruments, on their own, at all speeds. Except vocals. As a vocalist myself I would sing the song last, having made myself familiar by watching the tracks. But I mean, Guitar Easy

When they started with Guitar Hero, you had five lanes and that was it. The charting wasn't even trying to be accurate, but it had to get the tempo right. When they added rhythm (or was that GH3, which wasn't them?) they doubled their effort, but it still wasn't much.

Guitar Hero II was when they added rhythm guitar and bass for co-op.

That was the big thing about the drum kit. If you got a real tom, kick, snare, and ride/crash and followed the track, you were actually playing the song (though more toms and snares would get you closer in variety).

Yeah, drums in Rock Band were how I learnt to play the drums. Pro Drums specifically came pretty close to real drums, but it still lacked a few fundamentals; open hi-hats were usually mapped to the same cymbal as the ride cymbal, and snare flams were mapped to both the snare and the high tom (Guitar Hero did get closer to the real thing by chucking in "armoured" notes to make you hit harder to more match the song).

Also Microsoft's hard line against hate symbols, if by whatever chance the notes made a swastika, that was an automatic fail. The new Wolfenstein games probably have them, but Xbox Live Arcade has stricter rules. Or Harmonix does. I dunno.

Wow, that's pretty extreme.  :|

I know they're never going to support a PC release, because the record labels won't license songs to them. Not at that price. Rocksmith is on PC, it's on Steam, but the songs are $3

Rocksmith's guitar and bass and it's got a pretty good selection now of big-time artists; The Who, Queen, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, Pantera, Aerosmith, The Police, The Clash, Bon Jovi, Boston, The Doors, Oasis, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Rage Against the Machine, Santana, even Jimi Hendrix. All it's really missing is the big-time artists who never got on Guitar Hero and Rock Band usually due to a general hatred of music games, like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd (or might be tied into exclusive contracts with other games, like Metallica and maybe also Van Halen). Plus that one artist who sung about the big time. :p (would seriously be some of the best bass songs available if they got him on) There might be a small glimmer of hope for Led Zeppelin DLC, seeing as they've recently opened up a little bit to licensing ("Immigrant Song" in a Destiny trailer, for example)

You can add as much music as you want to Rocksmith, though it's a lot easier on PC:) there are sites where you can download sheets for nearly all music. though some might not have difficulty scaling....

Of course Rocksmith is also completely different, it's actually a tool and a game that teaches you to play, RB and GH are more like party toys.

You can add as much music as you want to Rocksmith, though it's a lot easier on PC:) there are sites where you can download sheets for nearly all music. though some might not have difficulty scaling....

Oh, I know that; I was keeping it legal there. :p

Honestly dragontology I didn't follow half of what you said.  I THINK you were talking about PRO keys though and I don't have an issue with them dropping that.  The non-Pro keys doesn't seem significantly different from guitar or base so I don't see why it would be so much work to have them.  I do agree that pro guitar and pro keys were too much though and really Rock Band to me is an rhythm game not a hardcore music instrument simulator so I don't really mind that the non-Pro guitar doesn't really teach you much at all about playing a real guitar, that's not the point.  Rock Band 4 apparently isn't going to support the little plastic keyboard accessory at all and I think that's a shame.  I own one and I'd like to be able to keep using it on the PS4.  Especially when I have 4 people over it's nice to have drums, guitar, base, and keyboard.  Anyone can sing (I don't mean well :D , I just mean you can sing WHILE you play any instrument) so in my group of friends at least no one wants to JUST sing.  Heck we even switch out who is singing on a per song basis and just move the mic stand around.  I think the whole PRO thing was really a waste for the game, but I get while they're keeping Pro drums because there really isn't that big of a difference between Pro and non-Pro.

If I followed you (which again I may not have as I had a real problem tracking your post) you seem particularly upset with Harmonix that you won't be able to use your Xbox 360 tacks if you get the PS4 versions.  That's not up to Harmonix so it's really unfair to them to be mad at them about it.  The tracks you own on your 360 are Xbox Live DLC.  It will transfer to Rock Band 4 on the Xbox One because both the 360 and the Xbox One use the same Xbox Live so they'll just download the same data files.  The PS4 doesn't have access to Xbox Live to download what you have.  Even if Xbox Live gave the list to Harmonix or Sony or whatever of what you've bought Sony isn't just going to give you all that DLC for free because you bought it somewhere else.  Just like if you buy GTA V on Xbox One then buy a PS4 Sony isn't going to just give you GTA V for the PS4 because you already bought the Xbox one.  That has nothing to do with Harmonix.

As for the upcoming Amplitude I'm aware of it.  In fact I'm a Kickstarter backer of it.  Again you're giving Harmonix a bad wrap by how you characterize it.  Amplitude (and Frequency) are owned by Sony, NOT Harmonix.  Sony was the publisher of the original games and they own the rights to them even if Harmonix was the developer.  Sony is allowing Harmonix to make a new Amplitude (if they fund it themselves, which they used Kickstarter for) but they aren't going to let Harmonix make a game from their franchise on the rival platform.  Harmonix has no control over that and yet you blame them.  You either get PS exclusive Amplitude sequel or none at all, it's out of their control.

Oh, I know that; I was keeping it legal there. :p

Downloading the sheets aren't illegal though, and on the sites, they usually use live recordings which I believe are technically legal under some weird law...

Honestly dragontology I didn't follow half of what you said. [...]

If I followed you (which again I may not have as I had a real problem tracking your post) you seem particularly upset with Harmonix that you won't be able to use your Xbox 360 tacks if you get the PS4 versions.  That's not up to Harmonix so it's really unfair to them to be mad at them about it.  The tracks you own on your 360 are Xbox Live DLC.  It will transfer to Rock Band 4 on the Xbox One because both the 360 and the Xbox One use the same Xbox Live so they'll just download the same data files.  The PS4 doesn't have access to Xbox Live to download what you have.  Even if Xbox Live gave the list to Harmonix or Sony or whatever of what you've bought Sony isn't just going to give you all that DLC for free because you bought it somewhere else.  Just like if you buy GTA V on Xbox One then buy a PS4 Sony isn't going to just give you GTA V for the PS4 because you already bought the Xbox one.  That has nothing to do with Harmonix.

As for the upcoming Amplitude I'm aware of it.  In fact I'm a Kickstarter backer of it.  Again you're giving Harmonix a bad wrap by how you characterize it.  Amplitude (and Frequency) are owned by Sony, NOT Harmonix.  Sony was the publisher of the original games and they own the rights to them even if Harmonix was the developer.  Sony is allowing Harmonix to make a new Amplitude (if they fund it themselves, which they used Kickstarter for) but they aren't going to let Harmonix make a game from their franchise on the rival platform.  Harmonix has no control over that and yet you blame them.  You either get PS exclusive Amplitude sequel or none at all, it's out of their control.

Sorry, I guess I got a little long-winded on my post. But, I'm an aspiring writer, and I've been playing the game for a long time. I have a lot to say. Can't really help that.

Anyway, I'm fully aware that the issue is out of Harmonix's hands, to an extent. I know why and I understand the problem from all sides, but from my side as the little guy it really sucks. From my point of view, we're going to be out $400 for the new console, plus $60 for the game, plus however much for the instruments if the old ones aren't compatible, and on top of all that, we have to choose between the lesser console that comes with the stuff we've already paid for, or the better console, but start over, and have access to cool exclusives. So as you can see it's kind of a crappy choice. But like I said, it isn't up to me. My wife and I are a team and there are things we do together, but gaming isn't one of them. While she will play PC games and while I will play Xbox/3DS games, it's not very often. So she'll get the XB1 which makes the console choice a moot point.

That's my problem with Harmonix though. It's just a series of excuses. We have to take the lesser console because it's all tied up in Xbox Live. They can't get such and such artist because their record label (or sometimes a member of the band). It's one excuse after another as to why the whole thing is sub-par and expensive as hell. That's why I personally withdrew my support and appreciation of the developer and all their products and got into PC gaming. But again, it's complicated because my wife will buy the Xbox One and Rockband 4 and various instruments and such. 

• 3 weeks later...

New Rockband 4 survey up. I think it's cool that Harmonix is taking the time to ask the fans what they think. Whether they listen or not is another matter entirely to be determined at a later date, but historically they're not known for giving a flying

• 2 weeks later...

Rocksmith is far better...

If I can't use my real guitar for the game, then I will be skipping RB4... Dont wanna use a fake plastic kids guitar...

Rocksmith is far better...

If I can't use my real guitar for the game, then I will be skipping RB4... Dont wanna use a fake plastic kids guitar...

Then stick to Rocksmith

You're getting angry over games that clearly target different types of people. I know a lot of guitarists that love Guitar Hero/Rock Band. It was great for getting people, young and old, into learning how to actually play the real instruments and also brought a lot of older bands younger fans.

You're dig at the "fake plastic kids guitar" was hilarious. Who has ever referred to them as real instruments? That comment actually proves how little you actually know. Might want to search YouTube/Google for stuff people have done using the fake and plastic Guitar Hero/Rock Band controllers. Talk as much trash as you want, but with the right software, you can do some serious recording with a "fake plastic" drum set or anything else from Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Don't even get me started on Rocksmith. It's not exactly the most perfect game out there. Picky with what it wants to work with. 

• Like 2

Well, to its credit, Rocksmith is on Steam. Harmonix never could get PC distribution figured out. We instinctively blame the RIAA, but Rocksmith made it work, and their developer (???) is far smaller.

That said, they are two different games. Might as well say Mario Kart is a crappy racing game because it's not Forza. I hate racing sims. Ride the wall while the CPU drives perfectly? Pass. Meanwhile, Mario Kart, and Sonic Racing Transformed are fun as hell. I get the Forza itch, and Rocksmith, but it's not what I'm after. Plus, how's the singing in Rocksmith? It doesn't exist? Then I'm not interested. I don't play guitar, whether it's real or "fake plastic."

Oh, and for the record, I scored GH3 (long after the hype died down) for $5 at Family Dollar... Don't know/care what happened to the game... I took that guitar apart piece for piece. Left the fret board white, painted the body hot pink, taped off the head stock (which was one piece with the neck) and painted the neck chrome, put it all back together, got a Hannah Montana sticker pack, and gave it to my niece for her 6th birthday. The funny thing is, all her dad's guitars were in various stages of disrepair... so ALL the guitarists wanted the pink one. Because it was in perfect condition. And they made excuses for why they were willing to play a guitar made and designed for a little girl. I won't repeat her dad's excuse up here. Let's just say he likes something else that is also pink.

Rockband guitar (and bass) is nothing but a QTE fest, and it's not a secret to anybody. There is no literal translation of notes to five fret buttons. There's just no way that could work. Meanwhile, the learning curve on Rocksmith is steep, and the up-front cost is much higher. I've seen starter electric guitars at Walmart for around $200, but I wouldn't put any stock in their quality. I imagine something like a Gibson, or a Les Paul, or something with a name you know, in just a basic body, costs a lot more. And that's before you get into custom designs. I believe I saw a replica of James Hetfield's flying V guitar for around $800 once... but I could be wrong.

Rockband drums on the other hand... It's been proven, if you just get a kick drum, a snare, a tom, a high hat, a ride, and, um, I forget the other, and you play along with an expert drum track, you're playing the song. Sure, you'll get more variety with a second kick, more toms, another snare or two, and more cymbals. The more drums you add, the less likely your kit matches another drummer's. But it can still be distilled down to four or five pieces. And the singing is, well, it's as legit as you want it to be. You can hum, or you can really do it. My wife has a few videos on YouTube where she sings a song, on expert vocals, but instead of reading the lyrics, she uses Weird Al's. And she FCs the song, gets 100%. Matching pitch/tone but not words... That's something right there. Not something I could do!