The number and size of Windows Updates is getting insane!

Hello.

Currently on a daily use I only use Windows 8.1 and Office 2013, I can't talk about other Windows versions and Office versions.

So here's the thing, Windows Updates + Office Updates is getting out of hand.

So I just run Windows Update (Fully updated with all updates until one week ago and got, not 10, not 20, not 30, not 40, not 50, but 52 updates, with a size in total of ? Guess ... 100MB? 250MB? 500MB? 750MB? 1GB? No, 1,1GB.

This insane.

Now for the record I'm all for updates, heck even multiple security and stability updates a month is acceptable.

But 52 updates at 1.1GB in one day?

Sure I'm running 64bits both in Windows and Office, so the updates are bigger than 32bit ones, but even so the number of updates and the size is just too much on a planet that still has people with ADSL connections like me.

And I'm not the worst case, I have a 16/1Mb shared with 2 DVD-R boxes that can use 300KB/s SD or 800 KB/s HD channels, but what about people (like some of my clients) that have 4Mb/256Kb or worst.

Not to mention the time it takes to download and apply all these updates.

I really hope that with the new Windows 10 Update system, they release more "pack" updates like 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, cause this is getting out of hands.

What are your thoughts Neowinians, am I wrong, a little, too much or about right?

• Like 2

Well there is no way around it without compromising security. You're going to have to download bytes one way or another, whether it be an upgrade, a new OS, or in an update, like you did.

That's awesome. I was very happy to finally get some updates. I got 52 updates today, woohoo.

The more updates the better. Lets ya know MS is doing something, although I haven't noticed any changes, lol.

I wish there was a ton of updates every Tuesday.

• Like 2

Well there is no way around it without compromising security. You're going to have to download bytes one way or another, whether it be an upgrade, a new OS, or in an update, like you did.

Right, but are we starting the era where we download almost the full ISO of Windows 8.1 and Office 22013 each month? :/

Windows 7 updates are much worse right now; a SP2 would help alot but alas that won't happen. :)

Yeah, but as you know Windows 7 right now is like XP to Microsoft, not going to happen unfortunately :(

• Like 3

That's awesome. I was very happy to finally get some updates. I got 52 updates today, woohoo.

The more updates the better. Lets ya know MS is doing something, although I haven't noticed any changes, lol.

I wish there was a ton of updates every Tuesday.

But wouldn't you prefer a 5 or 6 updates compacted in 300, 400 or 500MB, instead of more than 50 and over 1GB? It's almost like an update per exe or dll :/

If you are downloading updates often on multiple PCs then you should get installation media with streamlined updates instead

Right, but that's not always possible if not in most cases.

What are your thoughts Neowinians, am I wrong, a little, too much or about right?

18 updates since 1 february on 64bit win 8.1

313Mb

so i guess everything else is your office updates?

18 updates since 1 february on 64bit win 8.1

313Mb

so i guess everything else is your office?

Nope, 32 Windows updates and 20 Office updates, all indicating a released "Yesterday". English version by the way :)

Nope, 32 Windows updates and 20 Office updates. English version by the way :)

hmm... english here as well, and not updated since the end of january.

hmm... english here as well, and not updated since the end of january.

Have you restarted after updating to check for more updates?

Have you restarted after updating to check for more updates?

will do.  they are very slow to intall for some reason. i am kinda stuck at undate 18 for a while now.  hope it does not crash

Who cares, only takes few minutes to download - or set it to download and only prompt you when they're ready to be installed. 

No biggie.

few minutes for him to download 1.1GB of updates? you must have missed when he mentioned his ADSL connection

Running Windows 8.1 Pro and Office 2013, today's updates -

Office 2013 - 13

Windows 8.1 - 31

Windows Defender - 1

Total size - 268.9 MB

Installing...after rebooting I'll check again.

few minutes for him to download 1.1GB of updates? you must have missed when he mentioned his ADSL connection

Right :)

Look If I had the option of fiber in my zone, I would do it right now, but nope just ADSL at 24Mb at most if really near the DSLAM and not my case unfortunately (Mine and millions of others I would assume). :/

If you are downloading updates often on multiple PCs then you should get installation media with streamlined updates instead

That's why I keep up to date Syspreped SSD drives.

Just used it today in fact. With it I did a Windows Reinstall on a laptop in 10 mins with windows completely up to date and all the other software I normally install, all update and current as well.

All I had to do was install a few drivers.

And if Microsoft released 2 updates a month you'd be here complaining they don't do enough. 

This is really a non-issue. Set the things to download in the background and only prompt you to install when you've already got the bits. 

• Like 3

And if Microsoft released 2 updates a month you'd be here complaining they don't do enough. 

This is really a non-issue. Set the things to download in the background and only prompt you to install when you've already got the bits. 

That's not fair to say.

In my initial post I wrote:

Now for the record I'm all for updates, heck even multiple security and stability updates a month is acceptable.

And if I didn't made myself clear enough, Microsoft could release daily updates and I wouldn't complain.

• Like 2

I wish they'd at least start rolling up .Net update packages. Those are whats annoying as they're both large and take longer to install.

Anyway....

Make sure to make an image of your system once it fully updated so you don't have to go through it again :)

My last windows update (8.1) was Feb 25th (not counting Windows Defender definition updates) though after seeing this thread I decided to check updates right now...

32 updates.....143.5 MB.

Not really bothered by having to download 144MB of updates after two weeks....that's only 300MB in a month.

I don't really see what problem you are experiencing though....1.1GB of updates....when was the last time you got an update on your computer? Also, that's counting Windows + Office so that's not really fair to blame Windows directly as it's not 1.1GB of Windows update.

But 52 updates at 1.1GB in one day?

I really hope that with the new Windows 10 Update system, they release more "pack" updates like 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, cause this is getting out of hands.

It seems like you want them to bundle more updates together? Seems to me like that's exactly what they did, and that's why they released (for you) 52 updates today. Instead of throwing out 5, 10, 15 updates every couple days over the past few weeks, they waited until they got a bunch done then released them all at once. You did not get 1.1GB of updates in one day, you got 1.1GB on one day (that is, updates were done and ready to go days/weeks ago, but they didn't push them out until today).

You either download the updates little by little every few days, or download them all at one time every few weeks. I personally prefer to update every few weeks because I don't reboot my computer often. Updates spaced out by weeks means I get to go longer periods of time between reboots.

Saying MS pushed out 1.1GB of updates in a single day would be like saying you wrote a book in a week because that was how long it took you to finish the last chapter and publish it.

There most definitely is. A lot of these updates are cumulative, if they wanted they could easily combine all the needed updates into a single one on the server, remove all redundancies, and send that back to the client. This is what they do everytime there's a new Windows build, SP etc, the pdates get combined.

It makes using Windows for those not on broadband, which is billions of people, a nightmare.

Regarding size, say thanks to .NET technologies/programming becoming more and more high level.

Programmers are taking too much advantage of modern computing power.

Just had 28 for 200MB  

Oh the humanity !! - took about 10 seconds... I want em back

10 seconds, wow... mind sharing the specs on your machine and your ISP and speed, I want it. 28 updates downloaded and applied in 10 seconds, wow just wow...

Come on, could you at-least be respectable? :o

There most definitely is. A lot of these updates are cumulative, if they wanted they could easily combine all the needed updates into a single one on the server, remove all redundancies, and send that back to the client. This is what they do everytime there's a new Windows build, SP etc, the pdates get combined.

It makes using Windows for those not on broadband, which is billions of people, a nightmare.

Yes that's mostly my point, thank your for your post!