The number and size of Windows Updates is getting insane!

I have a quantum computer, and a dark fiber connection ;)

I have  ZX Spectrum (32GB version) with a tachyon particle bean connection, I get the updates 2 days before they are released ;)

But seriously I must have a look at SYSPREP, sounds like a pretty nifty tool.

I am on blast, which no all areas depending on package you have has been updated to 100.  I do need to look into this more though.  A email a buddy sent me in the area when he got moved to 100 only list specific plans that got updated to 100.  If you look on their website.

I will have to call them and ask about it.

yeah, Comcast tried to pull that with me also, but you say fine I will leave they send you to retentions and retentions gives it to you without any packages tied to it :rofl:

A rollup pack would be nice...

And one that didn't require previous ones to apply would be even better!

There are roll-up packs. They released a new ISO for Windows 8.1 (which you can download without any license or so) in April, September and November 2014.

I remember having to install a fresh copy of Win 7 on my parent's pc, they don't have broadband, and then immediately afterward you need to get 600-700MB in updates, which is totally negligient on MS's part since a lot of people simply won't be able to do that. I'd guess that easily 70% of that code being downloaded is redundant, because Windows updates aren't binary patches but redownloads of the entire file. So e.g. if a dll has 3 vulnerabilites, you'll get 3 copies of it, and not just that, WinSxX and DriverStore will also store 3 copies of it, and keep growing. Its a horribly inneficient design that everyone glosses over because who cares about wasted disk space and bandwidth, right?

There are commands to reduce or remove the bloat that happens with this. There is a dism.exe command that does this. It works really well to remove almost all the superseded stuff. Also as some of the other posters have said there is a way to download the updates in bundles as well as updated ISOs for Windows 8/8.1. As far as the Windows 7 stuff goes you really should move away from that. If you are one of those who hate the start screen there is always the classic shell app that makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7. Lastly Windows 10 will be much worse in that regard in terms of updates. You would have the option to download whole new builds of Windows.

• Like 2

I remember having to install a fresh copy of Win 7 on my parent's pc, they don't have broadband, and then immediately afterward you need to get 600-700MB in updates, which is totally negligient on MS's part since a lot of people simply won't be able to do that. I'd guess that easily 70% of that code being downloaded is redundant, because Windows updates aren't binary patches but redownloads of the entire file. So e.g. if a dll has 3 vulnerabilites, you'll get 3 copies of it, and not just that, WinSxX and DriverStore will also store 3 copies of it, and keep growing. Its a horribly inneficient design that everyone glosses over because who cares about wasted disk space and bandwidth, right?

Not even administrators have access to the Windows Component Store by default

Regarding size, say thanks to .NET technologies/programming becoming more and more high level.

Programmers are taking too much advantage of modern computing power.

.NET updates aren't very frequent. Most of the updates tend to be security patches. Besides, .NET patches cover anything that could run on them. You only have to patch the runtime. :)

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (no Office) fully up to date.
Yesterday I had 31 updates.
Build string was updated from release 7 to release 8 (whatever that means).

post-243386-0-48476400-1426100965.jpg

There are commands to reduce or remove the bloat that happens with this. There is a dism.exe command that does this. It works really well to remove almost all the superseded stuff. Also as some of the other posters have said there is a way to download the updates in bundles as well as updated ISOs for Windows 8/8.1. As far as the Windows 7 stuff goes you really should move away from that. If you are one of those who hate the start screen there is always the classic shell app that makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7. Lastly Windows 10 will be much worse in that regard in terms of updates. You would have the option to download whole new builds of Windows.

I never said anything about 7 vs 8! I always use the latest version and am typing this from Win 10.

Anyway, I know about these commands, there was also the utility to clean up extra files left over after a SP install, and I believe Disk Cleanup would sometimes do it too. My point is all this is a result of an antiquated and not very well designed update mechanism and the general architecture of Windows. MS has made multiple efforts to solve 'dll hell' and the result is a mess. These days no one really cares, but a few years ago when ssd's were new and expensive, there was a *lot* of need to minimize disk space and Windows would just keep up wasting more disk space as you applied updates. If you made a fresh install with the exaxt same updates, it'd use less.

We had tools like vLite and others to make custom iso's with updates combined into 1 iso, and these also took up less space, because the way Windows applies updates is fundamentally broken, and hard to fix now because they must support legacy installs.

Hello.

Currently on a daily use I only use Windows 8.1 and Office 2013, I can't talk about other Windows versions and Office versions.

So here's the thing, Windows Updates + Office Updates is getting out of hand.

So I just run Windows Update (Fully updated with all updates until one week ago and got, not 10, not 20, not 30, not 40, not 50, but 52 updates, with a size in total of ? Guess ... 100MB? 250MB? 500MB? 750MB? 1GB? No, 1,1GB.

This insane.

Now for the record I'm all for updates, heck even multiple security and stability updates a month is acceptable.

But 52 updates at 1.1GB in one day?

Sure I'm running 64bits both in Windows and Office, so the updates are bigger than 32bit ones, but even so the number of updates and the size is just too much on a planet that still has people with ADSL connections like me.

And I'm not the worst case, I have a 16/1Mb shared with 2 DVD-R boxes that can use 300KB/s SD or 800 KB/s HD channels, but what about people (like some of my clients) that have 4Mb/256Kb or worst.

Not to mention the time it takes to download and apply all these updates.

I really hope that with the new Windows 10 Update system, they release more "pack" updates like 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, cause this is getting out of hands.

What are your thoughts Neowinians, am I wrong, a little, too much or about right?

52 updates in one day?

Something doesn't sound right...

There are roll-up packs. They released a new ISO for Windows 8.1 (which you can download without any license or so) in April, September and November 2014.

Just what I need for in-production machines that aren't up to date! ;)

I was more referring to Windows 7 in my previous comment, but for Win 8.1 you can't just slap on Nov '14's roll-up, you have to do each one. I have no idea why. :/

The 1st thing i install when i have to install Windows 7 or 8.1 is Internet explorer 11 and Framework.net 4.5.2 on that way a lot of older updates are automatically removed.

That looks pretty cool. I can drop WSUS from my server if that works well.