Server 2012 R2 install on ESXI 5.5

my suggestion was to only follow microsoft specs of their hyper v install.  If he has downloaded it a few times, what diff would it make to go up to their specs that they have in their hyper-v server?

nothing you could install to a 1TB disk if you want, I just don't see how that would kill the install with an error. Might give a dialog saying install can not continue but it would just error out, etc.

If you copied the disk to your datastore, you could validate the md5 there, etc. When I get a chance will look up how to do that on esxi directly (if possible)

example

[root@esxi:/vmfs/volumes/535605bc-d0c25a0d-7cf0-001f29541714] md5sum pfSense-22-REL.iso

ee1cea51ec86d265714391cff23b45f6 pfSense-22-REL.iso

[root@esxi:/vmfs/volumes/535605bc-d0c25a0d-7cf0-001f29541714]

yeah I downloaded the iso, put it to usb with rufus and booted the esxi box off the usb and upgraded my 5.5 to 6, easy peasy done in a few minutes. If doing in production, make sure you have backups. Mine is just home/lab if it crashed and burned on upgrade I could have it back in running in hour or so from scratch, etc. But production is a different story ;)

This is just a lab so that a dev team can do "official" testing on the latest release to make sure their stuff doesn't break, it's only got 4 VMs, local storage etc so really not worth caring about in terms of backups. All our production kit runs in Hyper V.

I've got my USB key formatted by RUFUS ready to go as soon as I get the word to say I can shutdown the running VM's :D

So you do your lab in esxi, but then run production on hyper-v? Not sure I would do that.. Lab should be same as production if you ask me. But hey if your just checking stuff in the OS level doesn't really matter what VM software that OS runs in.

We have our 2012 R2 template in ESXi 5.5 set to 30 GBs and it installs just fine.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

Look at the vitrualization requirements.....

While the 80 GB is for the hyper-v vhd, it would be something that I would be trying.  Make your guest system exactly like the one preconfigured by microsoft.

• 2 GB RAM

• 1 CPU

• 80 GB hard drive

We have our 2012 R2 ESXi 5.5 template using 30 GBs and it installs just fine.

Already did. And they match

Where do they match? On the esxi server datastore, or your machine after you downloaded it? You are just mounting the iso from your datastore right, your not doing some kind of passthru to your cdrom or anything?

So you do your lab in esxi, but then run production on hyper-v? Not sure I would do that.. Lab should be same as production if you ask me. But hey if your just checking stuff in the OS level doesn't really matter what VM software that OS runs in.

Sorry not making this brilliantly clear.

We have a lab ESXi stand alone box that we use for product verification (in house developed) on the "new" versions. Nice and simple to upgrade with not a lot to go wrong. We then also then have a smallish 2 node cluster with SAN storage etc that is used for Vmotion testing on the same products, that will be upgraded further down the line when we know the new ESXi is bedded in.

Most of our production kit (DC, Exch, Lync etc) are all running in Hyper V.

Their is also some R&D development going on using the Hyper V setup we have but "official" testing is always carried out on VMware due to 3rd party vendor restrictions on hypervisor support.

Naa I've got a company account - get a copy of the other bits and pieces as well (I'd eventually get it through work).

ah i see, hadn't thought to check for our licensed account that I have access to, same here :(

Where do they match? On the esxi server datastore, or your machine after you downloaded it? You are just mounting the iso from your datastore right, your not doing some kind of passthru to your cdrom or anything?

They match after I put the ISO on the datastore, and then download it to my machine. I will try running the hash on via CLI on ESXI and then match hashes and see if they match. I am not doing any kind of pass through, just mounting local iso on datastore.

What hardware version are you making the VM?

Like I said I have installed 2k12r2 without any issues.

Ok downloading the eval version you have, and checking its md5 and doing install. What I see from search for that hash value is other people having the problem

Here are my hashes

CRC32: B5DE489F

MD5: 5B5E08C490AD16B59B1D9FAB0DEF883A

SHA-1: 849734F37346385DAC2C101E4AACBA4626BB141C

SHA-256: 6612B5B1F53E845AACDF96E974BB119A3D9B4DCB5B82E65804AB7E534DC7B4D5

here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/2b272885-23f6-4cd9-9791-4d056c5cef77/windows-server-2012-r2-eval-refuses-to-install?forum=winserver8setup

The install went fine without issue, other than time a bit off.. Pacific time, etc. change it to central and says I installed it in the future ;)

post-14624-0-98938400-1426611605.png

Really was just couple of clicks. This is on esxi 6, but I know have not had any issues on 5.5 either. 4GB of ram give to the VM, hardware type 11 with guest os windows 2012

Yayy I have a copy of 6.0 now. Don't think I'll be installing this on any production systems till U1 is released (and by that time projects would have been planned to run 6.0).

I suspect the issue is either with either of the following things - Memory problem, or CPU issues (I know 2012 R2 is finiky on some CPUs from my experience on older hardware). Or do an install of 2012 and then do an in place upgrade, I know this isn't the best option but just trying to nut down the issue.

Just out of curiosity - have you tried creating the VM on a desktop using Workstation\player\whatever, and then importing it to your ESX host and see if it boots up? 

Finally had some time to work on this. Im running 5.5 U1. Its a custom built box and definitely supports HT.

My MD5 hash for the ISO i downloaded from micosoft is b391a267949518ed6bb69f908f252076. This is the same hash i get back from the ISO on the datastore, exsi-cli, network share, etc. 

Any vm I create, gets created as HW v8, its because when I do 10, it says "you will lose features accessible from this client / vcenter only blah blah blah". Anyway, created new vm, upgraded to HW v10, tried installing, same error. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

I had server 2008 running on the same machine awhile ago but I removed it. So figured 2012 wouldn't be a problem.

That is not the correct hash from the trial iso I got from ms

this is what mine is

5B5E08C490AD16B59B1D9FAB0DEF883A

If you read the thread I linked too there seems to be some corrupt iso images, and MS in their infinite as always doesn't list the md5 or any hash for that matter for this trial.

I just downloaded the trial and got the above hash, and it worked without any problems - see above thread.  If your hash does match the ones I posted, then I don't believe it will work.  If your trying to install trial copy of 2k12r2 I would have to assume your iso is bad with the hash you posted.

PM me if you want I will put the one I have with the above md5 hash up for you to download.

edit: As to your esxi version, its dated - there is a few patches above U2..  You should just prob go to 6 if you ask me.  I like to be current ;)  For example if your running pfsense and want to go to 2.2 that runs on freebsd 10.1 it was not supported until U2.

Dude you really need to read threads before posting!!

Clearly from his posted md5 hash he has a corrupted iso..  I posted a link to thread about it a couple of posts back.

And the guy having issues there has the same hash as he does ;)

post-14624-0-42321000-1426940910.png

And exact same problem, etc. etc..

Read the thread before posting People!

Dude you really need to read threads before posting!!

Clearly from his posted md5 hash he has a corrupted iso..  I posted a link to thread about it a couple of posts back.

And the guy having issues there has the same hash as he does ;)

attachicon.gifbadhash.png

And exact same problem, etc. etc..

Read the thread before posting People!

So why is it I'm getting a bad ISO? I downloaded the eval from microsoft 4 times now on different days and times. All downloads on different OS's. What would make the download corrupt because you got the corrupt ISO the first time you dl'd it.... This confuses me. This has never happened to me before.

I am PM'ing you now.

sent you link to where I have it in PM

Well if the file on their server is corrupt, doesn't matter when you download it.  Maybe the CDN your hitting the file is bad.. You don't think when billy downloads it from X part of the world he is downloading off the same server and file that kevin downloads from Z part of the world do you?

All I can tell you is the md5 for the iso I have that installs fine is different than the one you have.  Since ms has not given out what it should be.. maybe mine is not quite right either but better than yours and works for the install, etc.

5b5e08c490ad16b59b1d9fab0def883a *9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO

sent you link to where I have it in PM

Well if the file on their server is corrupt, doesn't matter when you download it.  Maybe the CDN your hitting the file is bad.. You don't think when billy downloads it from X part of the world he is downloading off the same server and file that kevin downloads from Z part of the world do you?

All I can tell you is the md5 for the iso I have that installs fine is different than the one you have.  Since ms has not given out what it should be.. maybe mine is not quite right either but better than yours and works for the install, etc.

5b5e08c490ad16b59b1d9fab0def883a *9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO

I understand the CDN part, but I downloaded it from 2 different connections, with 2 different ISPs that were hitting 2 different Microsoft CDN's from what I can see on the trace route. Hell your not that far from me and you got the download from the "good" CDN. Also, us being in the midwest, you would think we would hit the same CDN.

Anyway, its working! it just finished installed and is rebooting. Thank you for your help budman. Is there anyway we can complain to Microsoft so they can fix this issue or at least be aware of it cause its quite frustrating if the eval download is working correctly?