One or Two lumps of sugar?

Hi all,

Currently have a Xeon 1245V3 with 32GB of RAM running 8.1 Windows. I had until recently a server with 24GB of RAM with an I7 920, I upgraded (attempted) to X5650 but the system no longer starts and suspect I have busted pins. This was running Windows Server 2012.

So I am going to re-purpose the server case (a Fractal with a Corsair 850W CPU Silver) with a new motherboard and CPU, reusing the RAM.

With work (I

Two servers, but one acts as redundancy for certain services and ensures a safe Veeam backup for the primary server which is running ESXi 6. I don't do ESXi on both due to a lack of ram in one. It has 4GB of RAM compared to the 64GB in the other.

For firewalls, what make/model is it, and what kind of problems are you running into?

For Linux, if you are using Enterprise distros, you most likely have a maintenance contract for support.  Why not call them and get some guidance to help learn?

And to your last point, at home, sadly I do not run any servers.

Just a Zotac HTPC with some redundant Tb storage for my collection of movies/television shows/etc hooked up to my television via HDMI.

Outside of that, the usual - Few desktops, laptops..  Nothing fancy.

I would love to throw in a half rack and install some servers, but I don't have the need or time to do so yet.

I play with enough servers and infrastructure at work, haha.

Poweredge T310 32gb RAM, some Xeon processor, 2.9ghz maybe, 2tb disk space.

Nothing fancy, does the job - I only turn it on every now and then these days, got enough exposure to this stuff at work.

I run 1 server at home, a HP N40L running pfsense as my router and 6 other vms 24/7/365 currently.. 

One of the vms is my storage box, with disks raw mapped to it.  While playing with zfs sure fun, its overkill in a home setup.   What are you storing that you need any sort of raid in the home for?  There is nothing mission critical in a home..  I use drivepool from stablebit to allow me to pool my drives into share, etc.  I looked at the NAPP-IT.. Might be fun to play with in vm and virtual disks, not actually use for storage.

Thanks all,

I think I will rebuild the server using my existing RAM running ESXi and have Server 2012 and a Linux server on it. ZFS is probably overkill as some of you have mentioned. I will keep a backup copy of data on my desktop and another set on the server.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...