100049.... any point...?

Derrr... no, Microsoft just released the version cuz it contains Spartan.

Obviously it serves a point, it would have lots different or there'd be no reason for a new build. 

Hmm.. I don't use voice search.. don't have a touch screen computer... and I can use pushbullet for sharing if I need to.  I guess I can see the use for some people.. but myself I just see it as extra bloat.

Cortana in spartan is not just voice search.In fact voice search is not even in spartan at this point....

What's the point  in using windows 10 TP if you just going to gave feedback on an older build(if the latest build is not stable for you that's fine, stay with the older build).

BWahahahahahahahahaha.....

I just went to take a look at spartan, and it won't even start because it is a metro app and it won't start with uac turned off.

Bravo microsoft, bravo...!!! :rolleyes:

Why use spartan if you use chrome/ff?  I know that when 10 comes out.. I will likely upgrade.. but spartan will likely only be used to navigate to the chrome download page.

Because it is your opportunity to influence Spartan to be a better browser than Chrome/FF for you?

It's the wrong attitude to a beta to not test every component of it, even if at release time you go use something else.

My browser of choice is Chrome.  On my Windows 10 build I have been using Internet Explorer (and now Spartan) exclusively - and feeding back on what I don't like/doesn't work.  It's got a long way before I would use them on my daily driver (if I ever do), but I am going to give my feedback to give Microsoft a fighting chance.

• Like 1

I just went to take a look at spartan, and it won't even start because it is a metro app and it won't start with uac turned off.

what ? so because you still don't understand that UAC is more than the dialog boxes you can turn off without disabling UAC and Spartan requires these functions and won't run on an unsupported platform(in final you probably won't even be able to disable UAC) that's bad ?

at some point you're going to have to realized that UAC is more than dialog boxes you can remove and that apps, especially secure apps use these api's and need them to run and it's not bad. 

• Like 3

Nice! Would love for them to do the same for desktop stuff as well.

Face palm.........You already know this and you expect it to magically work in this build?

Why use spartan if you use chrome/ff?  I know that when 10 comes out.. I will likely upgrade.. but spartan will likely only be used to navigate to the chrome download page.

You might end up liking Spartan better.

Face palm.........You already know this and you expect it to magically work in this build?

I know what already...??

This is, I believe, the very first release of spartan, so how exactly would ANYONE know ANYTHING....???

Who would have known that their new browser would be a metro app.

I for one would not have thought them that stupid, but once again they have proved me wrong....

No, using it was never on my horizon, but I certainly would have checked it out.

I know what already...??

This is, I believe, the very first release of spartan, so how exactly would ANYONE know ANYTHING....???

I for one would not have thought them that stupid, but once again they have proved me wrong....

No, using it was never on my horizon, but I certainly would have checked it out.

Spartan has been on the front page of neowin countless times and its already known to be an universal app aka metro aka modern aka windows app. 

No UAC = No AppContainer integrity level.

Anyone who has actually followed the development of the operating system?

• Like 2

To complain about features that do not work, do not work as intended, etc, on a beta OS is in my opinion foolish and a bit dumb, since you are missing the point of what Beta testing is all about, specially on a technical review.  These updates are being released for the purpose of people finding holes, looking at ways that a program will function better, etc, and submit reviews to MS for them to fix/change/address.

not sure why it is funny that the beta os you are testing has issues.... /confused.

Update: I guess you can complain, but i guess i would find it more useful if instead of a complain, it would lead more of a "feed back" review, since it is understood that a beta os would have issues and can be and should be address by the time of the full release (or at least one could only hope).

This isn't beta quality, its more like early alpha. there's no way this OS is ready for release in late 2015, it needs at least 6 months more of actual work and then the usual 3 months of code freeze and stabilization.

People are complaining because almost nothing is being improved in builds over months, there is almost nothing new or exciting, its mnor stuff like icons.

This isn't beta quality, its more like early alpha. there's no way this OS is ready for release in late 2015, it needs at least 6 months more of actual work and then the usual 3 months of code freeze and stabilization.

People are complaining because almost nothing is being improved in builds over months, there is almost nothing new or exciting, its mnor stuff like icons.

Don't be fooled by the "Summer" release and the free upgrade for a year. That year is just another extension of the beta testing. We all know they cannot possibly complete it by RTM, and they won't. That's why they're touting the "fast" and "slow" rings. They're going to continue this on after RTM. We're going to be perpetual beta testers because Microsoft doesn't know their left from their right.

Don't be fooled by the "Summer" release and the free upgrade for a year. That year is just another extension of the beta testing. We all know they cannot possibly complete it by RTM, and they won't. That's why they're touting the "fast" and "slow" rings. They're going to continue this on after RTM. We're going to be perpetual beta testers because Microsoft doesn't know their left from their right.

So the company is lying to all users of Windows 7 / Windows 8.x? Seems highly unlikely to me.

So the company is lying to all users of Windows 7 / Windows 8.x? Seems highly unlikely to me.

Not explicitly or directly, no, they're not lying. But the first year free upgrade, which is most likely to be taken up by enthusiasts (insiders), is just a means to keep beta testing it before they actually start selling it to the rest of consumers outside of the enthusiast space. 

What kind of insider information do you have? Do you have access to the different branches of testing?

What kind of insider information do you have? Do you have access to the different branches of testing?

Ah, the 'ol "they're hiding an ace up their sleeve, just you wait" response. They're running out of time. If there's all these new features and UI polish yet to come, then what's the point of releasing it at the last minute, as they're not going to be able to receive sufficient feedback that they've been so desperate to tell us all matters to them?

The "wait until the first Service Pack" mantra still rings true for many people. While SPs are along side dinosaurs these days, the rush to install an RTM OS from MS is best left to bleeding-edge enthusiasts. Patient consumers know that HW manufacturs are still finalizing drivers and unlikely to have an optimal version at release. There's more benefits to waiting than not waiting. Throwing a zero dollar price point (1st year) will certainly sway many people and hopefully make Windows 10 Update 1 release all that much faster. :)  (thanks "beta" testers)

Ah, the 'ol "they're hiding an ace up their sleeve, just you wait" response. They're running out of time. If there's all these new features and UI polish yet to come, then what's the point of releasing it at the last minute, as they're not going to be able to receive sufficient feedback that they've been so desperate to tell us all matters to them?

Will you're judging a TP build, it's not indicative of how far the progress of windows 10 is. If you watch oct\dec event. You didnt see those features until jan 23 build. Even the spartan stuff they showed in dec,  was not in the march build. 

It's not the first time we saw a big jump from Feb to an April\May build.Windows 8 saw a big jump from CP to RP to RTM. 

Android Lollipop, OSX Yosemite, iOS - all examples of major releases pushed out with incomplete features and huge bugs which they had to know about. I'm pretty sure MS is heading in this direction due to time pressures, there's a reason major Windows releases took 2-4 years in general.

I simply don't see any major new features in Win 10 - its just a foundation which unifies the codebase for WP and desktop OS's, and all they've done is add Cortana and the new start menu. I'm sure Win 12 etc is when we'll see any actual new features.

Will you're judging a TP build, it's not indicative of how far the progress of windows 10 is. If you watch oct\dec event. You didnt see those features until jan 23 build. Even the spartan stuff they showed in dec,  was not in the march build. 

It's not the first time we saw a big jump from Feb to an April\May build.Windows 8 saw a big jump from CP to RP to RTM. 

Yeah, there were such huge jumps between developer preview and consumer preview

Not explicitly or directly, no, they're not lying. But the first year free upgrade, which is most likely to be taken up by enthusiasts (insiders), is just a means to keep beta testing it before they actually start selling it to the rest of consumers outside of the enthusiast space. 

From the business perspective of those who are running older systems looking to upgrade, it can be seen as reassurance that they aren't buying into planned obsolescence. In other words, the incentive of a free upgrade to Windows 10 means my clients won't forgo upgrading their systems now while they are on XP. The same can be said for anyone really.