The State Of Portable Computing

Sure they did - Satellite series. They started at $400 back in 2004. One of my friends got it at Best Buy on Black Friday. Ever since then, Black Friday has had cheap laptops.

I bought my first tosiba laptop a few years before that, one of their cheapest models if not the cheapest I think. it wasn't anywhere close to that and was built like a tank.

and the early satelite's where rock solid as well. 

My issue with tablets is NOT resolution - but lack of physical screen size.  Eleven inches (or smaller) and 1680x1050 (or greater) puts together a combination of high pixel density and physically small dpi.  It may be great for video, but it has, at least for me, major problems as far as any sort of texty-type work (mail, messaging, writing code/development) - in other words, you wind up squinting on tablets.  The tradeoff in physical screen size is NOT worth it if what you do computing-wise is mostly texty - as opposed to video.

Never a problem I've had on Android tablets, nor on Nexus phones (in fact my Nexus 5 renders text better than any other device I've ever used) it all depends how well they handle DPI scaling.

Lenovo's enterprise line used to be IBM's enterprise line - therefore, the quality control there is far from surprising.

However, even IBM has been found to grow a lemon or two - Google the IBM Personal System Display 8515.