Microsoft Edge?

it's still spartan and how do you use chrome addons? it won't let me.

It's Project Spartan in the released build. Upcoming builds will introduce it as Edge, the official name.

I've seen it stated elsewhere that addons won't be enabled until after RTM.

Thats a deal breaker for me, I wont use Edge until RTM as we need AdBlock. Sites like Facebook that plaster ads everywhere is a horrible experience with Edge. 

Yea, without addons, Edge doesn't stand a chance. It may have a new engine and be faster, but if it can't stand up to the features added to other browsers...

• Like 2

Thing is it's a bad choice of themn to delay addon support... that means when people get thier shiny new OS and try to find addons there won't be any and devs will have to hussle at the last minute and have rushed addons.

It's always best before the stuff is released so people are ready

Considering that they don't even have the most rudimentary of Favorites/Bookmarks tools but have invented pointless "doodling" on pages... they are clearly on an odd build path.

• Like 2

I think some of you are overestimating the use of extensions in the real world, I doubt they're used by the masses, there's no real rush to use them and I've hardly ever used them personally.  Besides, IE doesn't have extensions like the other two and it's doing fine in the market, and before someone argues that it's doing well because it's the default in Windows, well Edge is the new default in Windows and the icon is basically the same (this was done for a reason since people know the E icon well now), Edge will gain share quickly.

I'm much more interested in performance, stability and compatibility, extensions is low on my list.

I think some of you are overestimating the use of extensions in the real world, I doubt they're used by the masses

This article is just over two years old, and apparently AdBlock Plus alone has had over 200 million downloads, for Firefox, not counting other browsers. Qualifies as quite a lot, I think.

I think some of you are overestimating the use of extensions in the real world, 

I'm a web developer and often have to take control of clients browsers via TeamViewer or share screens on skype, i don't know one user who doesn't have one or more plugins installed if they use FF or Chrome.

what the majority care about in extensions is a adblock

many don't even know that you can set ie11 to have adblock

In Edge if still have the same options then Edge will have in release a adblock builtin

if not, adguard does the trick and its way faster than any extension in Firefox or Chrome

Thats a deal breaker for me, I wont use Edge until RTM as we need AdBlock. Sites like Facebook that plaster ads everywhere is a horrible experience with Edge. 

Use a good TPL then. Adblocking has worked in IE for a very long time without the need of an addon.

I'm excited about Edge. Hopefully it will get extensions quickly. My big 'want' is syncing. Since I use Android on mobile I'm out of luck but that's ok. Still think Edge will be great!