Why is the start menu so slow and unreliable?

My start menu also got worse with each build. Not to the point of being unusable but noticably worse. I am on the Fast Ring updates, and the machine was just upgraded through Windows Update as each build came along.

I wiped my machine (Surface Pro 3 that I am testing W10 on), clean installed the 10074 build and now the performance is great.

• 2 weeks later...

The start menu has worked great for me...build 10074....task bar has been good too...(touches wood)... :)

The start menu has worked great for me...build 10074....task bar has been good too...(touches wood)... :)

Just did the upgrade to Build 10122...start button..total crash, installed classic shell..all is good. The task bar is working well except for "Edge" but I have the ATI gpu which is the problem from what I hear on this issue...So far so good for not doing clean install...cheers :)

Besides Cortana, the new Start menu does nothing better than good old Classic shell - its not faster, has no new features, plenty of bugs. Its change for changes sake with zero value. All they needed to do was an option to show full screen Start Screen vs normal menu which was just fine.

Interesting, I noticed this too but thought it was just a side effect of running it in a VM. How have you go your version installed?

XAML, afaik is not written in unmanaged C++, so...

Unmanaged C++ can use XAML and other WinRT libraries, and WinRT itself is written in unmanaged C++, based on COM. Its one of the big advances for WinRT over .NET.

Besides Cortana, the new Start menu does nothing better than good old Classic shell - its not faster, has no new features, plenty of bugs. Its change for changes sake with zero value.

There are several new features included with the new Start menu that the old one did not provide:

• A right-hand column that is fully customizable in terms of what can be placed in the column, including the grouping and sizes of pinned items; even individual settings can be pinned
  • Ability to be resized on the desktop, or expanded to include optimizations for touch-based devices
  • Application suggestions
  • Customizable accents that affect the appearance of items pinned to the Start menu
  • Context menu improvements for applications and pinned items, such as the Uninstall option, which allows applications to be uninstalled directly from the Start menu
  • Integration with Cortana; web searches can be performed directly from the Start menu
  • Live tiles
  • Resolution-independence

Classic Shell is highly customizable, true, and does offer some features that the Windows 10 Start menu

Half the time it won't open. When you type it takes forever to search. Search results aren't organized very well.

but the main concern is why can't it open instantly like it always used to ?! There are tons of complaints about this on the official forums as well.

Same for me. And its certainly got nothing to do with specs as some seem eager to suggest. 

I have the exact same problems you have, ever since they implemented the XAML start menu its been a sluggish and unreliable mess. When it does open it takes 2 seconds.

Windows 7 and 8.1 with SiB it takes roughly 50-75ms to open, in comparison. Probably less but I can't ascertain a value below that. 

RTM is 1-2 months out, and it still hasnt improved much in responsiveness since the XAML one was first implemented, its been at least 3 public builds since. 

Same for me. And its certainly got nothing to do with specs as some seem eager to suggest. 

I have the exact same problems you have, ever since they implemented the XAML start menu its been a sluggish and unreliable mess. When it does open it takes 2 seconds.

Windows 7 and 8.1 with SiB it takes roughly 50-75ms to open, in comparison. Probably less but I can't ascertain a value below that. 

RTM is 1-2 months out, and it still hasnt improved much in responsiveness since the XAML one was first implemented, its been at least 3 public builds since. 

could it possibly be due to internet, I find when my internet is slow it hardly works at all, search results are nowhere near as good as the original either

I'm getting weird behavior from the start menu.  Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, the search option on here is also giving me guff :p

Anyone else get the same symptoms?  Changing resolutions makes the start menu out of alignment or not where it should be.  Only a reboot fixes it.  Beta I know.. but it's been this way since the very beginning, very strange no one picked up on it.

snap.png

Generally speaking start menu including any universal app run very sluggish. I will reserve my opinion about until Windows 10 hits RTM thinking perhaps Microsoft got clean release code for it. In meantime i will just patiently watch and wait.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update - Start menu is STILL not reliable in Windows 10 RTM !!! :angry:

I may try the solution posted above (renaming SearchUI.exe in C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe) but that seems like a hack and really this should have been fixed ages ago in the OS. The cause of the slowdowns is clear - any modern app is still sluggish to start.

• 3 years later...

I had that problem when Windows 10 was first released but in recent times it is no longer an issue.

Which build of Win 10 are you using?