Vienna brings in gay pedestrian crossing lights

Wow, some people in here are really up in arms - the second they see some "gay=pandering" - out comes the hate brigade.

Even some people who repeatedly lecture me on how evil I am.

RTFArticle

Its for an event -

Dont worry, nobody is taking away your hetero-rights LOL

Earthworm -

I have seen pics of that guy in that getup before - not posing like that though.  Serious..... trust me.... :blush:

OK you got me, I hate to lie..... its me.

Earthworm -

I have seen pics of that guy in that getup before - not posing like that though.  Serious..... trust me.... :blush:

OK you got me, I hate to lie..... its me.

just call me jimmy :blush:

I have to agree with most, seems like a pretty pointless waste of money.

Is it just me though, or when someone or something goes out of their way to "show an open mind" they're actually just forcing the idea that an issue is still there makes it actually worse? It's like the classic - I'm not racist, my fiend Dave is <insert minority>.

I need to stop now before I carry on ranting... moving along swiftly....

• Like 1

I have to agree with most, seems like a pretty pointless waste of money.

Is it just me though, or when someone or something goes out of their way to "show an open mind" they're actually just forcing the idea that an issue is still there makes it actually worse? It's like the classic - I'm not racist, my fiend Dave is <insert minority>.

I need to stop now before I carry on ranting... moving along swiftly....

It is for a specific music festival -

It is for a specific music festival -

I know, but I don't think it makes it any less of a waste of money.

They just didn't need to try and make some statement about the fact Euro vision has an apparently large gay fan base but you know, their cool with that. They just didn't need to prove that point.

If I had an Indian friend coming round for dinner, I wouldn't immediately think right, I best cook some Indian food, that'll show them I'm cool with their culture. Its just seems like an over desperate attempt to try and make a statement that would be better off left not said IMO.

• Like 3

I know, but I don't think it makes it any less of a waste of money.

They just didn't need to try and make some statement about the fact Euro vision has an apparently large gay fan base but you know, their cool with that. They just didn't need to prove that point.

If I had an Indian friend coming round for dinner, I wouldn't immediately think right, I best cook some Indian food, that'll show them I'm cool with their culture. Its just seems like an over desperate attempt to try and make a statement that would be better off left not said IMO.

Eurovision is HIGHLY political.  So no wonder they involved some sort of gesture like that.  Getting the politicians to approve this meaningless gesture.

still.  it is a laugh.  and the tax payer costs are not an issue, due to the amount of money the contest will generate for the city.

just as soon as they swap back for the normal lights when it is done. stickman figure meant to represend a HUMAN.

that is why you dont use a stickman girl in a dress unless you want to show differents in pointing out public washrooms!

it is all good laugh, but it is actually making roads less safe in the long term, by distracting people.

i really have no issue with it if this is done for eurovision only.

Is it just me though, or when someone or something goes out of their way to "show an open mind" they're actually just forcing the idea that an issue is still there makes it actually worse? 

You say "you know" it's for an event, but this line shows me you didn't.

If it was just to join hands with the PC brigade so everyone could happy clappy dance down the street showing how progressive they are, then yeah, waste of money. But this is to celebrate an event that is happening in the city.

Celebrations are a critical part of any communities well being, and these things are well budgeted for.

Should we just stop throwing events and celebrations and just fester in our own crap and misery all the time, just to save some money? Hell no.

You say "you know" it's for an event, but this line shows me you didn't.

If it was just to join hands with the PC brigade so everyone could happy clappy dance down the street showing how progressive they are, then yeah, waste of money. But this is to celebrate an event that is happening in the city.

Celebrations are a critical part of any communities well being, and these things are well budgeted for.

Should we just stop throwing events and celebrations and just fester in our own crap and misery all the time, just to save some money? Hell no.

I don't see why that suggest I didn't know it was related to Eurovision? You want to tart up the city or the area to help promote an event - I get that. Why choose trying to promote homosexuality acceptance of all things to help promote MUSIC event?

Why not change the green man to be playing some drums or a guitar, its just completely irrelevant. It should just be about the music imo - anything above that is just wasting money. 

• Like 1

I don't see why that suggest I didn't know it was related to Eurovision? You want to tart up the city or the area to help promote an event - I get that. Why choose trying to promote homosexuality acceptance of all things to help promote MUSIC event?

Why not change the green man to be playing some drums or a guitar, its just completely irrelevant. It should just be about the music imo - anything above that is just wasting money. 

eurovision has not being about music for the longest time. it is mostly political.

eurovision has not being about music for the longest time. it is mostly political.

Maybe so, but that just takes me back to my original point of - its a try hard attempt at something I personally feel just makes the issue worse. 

Maybe I am just being far too grumpy on this, I can accept that might be the case. I just don't really agree with what they tried to do.

• Like 1

You've never watched Eurovision have you? :p

It's NEVER about the music.

Maybe so, but that just takes me back to my original point of - its a try hard attempt at something I personally feel just makes the issue worse. 

Maybe I am just being far too grumpy on this, I can accept that might be the case. I just don't really agree with what they tried to do.

The Eurovision is possibly one of the gayest things in the gay calender! It makes sense to go for a kind of gay agenda when you're tarting up your city for EV.

I don;t think you're being grumpy, you're definitely entitled to your opinion on the matter, in fact, it's kind of weird that i'm not being grumpy for once :D

Surely by drawing attention to different types of couples you remove the notion that we are all equal ?

By having a single figure for a person its so nondescript that everyone is represented (thus equal).

• Like 1

You've never watched Eurovision have you? :p

It's NEVER about the music.

The Eurovision is possibly one of the gayest things in the gay calender! It makes sense to go for a kind of gay agenda when you're tarting up your city for EV.

I don;t think you're being grumpy, you're definitely entitled to your opinion on the matter, in fact, it's kind of weird that i'm not being grumpy for once :D

I've seen bits when the misses insists on watching it but gets bored and turns over every year but no, I generally don't watch it.

• Like 2

I've seen bits when the misses insists on watching it but gets bored and turns over every year but no, I generally don't watch it.

You're just bitter because the UK does so poorly, year after year. :p

I'm quite pleased by that, tbh. We already pay enough into this stupid popularity contest without it ending costing us even MORE to host the sodding thing!

I don't know about everywhere else, but in the UK, this thing is a complete joke.  None of our decent artists would be seen dead on it; it's a career killer.

• Like 2

This is ridiculous. What was so "wrong" with the original. What next...

Hey, at least they didn't put a live tile on there!

• Like 3

looking at most of your locations under your avatar suggests all that are complaining live nowhere near Vienna, so why care!!!!! are you all upset that the image on the traffic lights wont be changed to resemble a hipster wearing skinny jeans and a fedora walking around talking on their iPhones, chill out people.

looking at most of your locations under your avatar suggests all that are complaining live nowhere near Vienna, so why care!!!!! are you all upset that the image on the traffic lights wont be changed to resemble a hipster wearing skinny jeans and a fedora walking around talking on their iPhones, chill out people.

Do they have discussions in Utah? You don't need something to be on your doorstep to have an opinion on it.  :rofl:

iPhones?! I have an Android man, where's the equal opportunities!  :crazy:

• Like 3

So one of the guys in charge of this was looking thru the web and decided gayness is cool from some hashtags. Then a bright light in his brain said they could be "cool" too and he should be pushing the envelope to join the cool kids. Before you know it they made this thing which looks more like an insult saying: "gays are people too and we welcome them" instead of treating it as something normal.

haha, it's true we do, but i think we approach it in the correct manner, with humour placed squarely in the foreground. If you watch it with that in mind, it's a stunning piece of satire, up ther with 'The day today".

Norton, as Wogan, does a brilliant job at being his normal scathing self, calling out the whole uselessness of it all. :p

Political correctness run amok.

Read the OP properly.

So one of the guys in charge of this was looking thru the web and decided gayness is cool from some hashtags. Then a bright light in his brain said they could be "cool" too and he should be pushing the envelope to join the cool kids. Before you know it they made this thing which looks more like an insult saying: "gays are people too and we welcome them" instead of treating it as something normal.

Read the OP

I'm mentally challenged, care to enlighten me? Was it a prank or a fake article of sort?

Done for a local music event that is very popular with the LGBT crowd.

Just to get to the serious side [is there a serious side to this thread?] the change would in effect make these a non-standard sign breaking the local traffic regulations which would stipulate the type and design of any sign and lighting used at a crossing