R* is leaving Grand Theft Auto V switchable graphics gamers out in the cold

Wow. so you know that Laptop users with AMD graphics cards are a "VERY VERY small minority" while they're fare from a majority, I'd say that would be a fairly sizeable group and a bug that should NEVER exist on a launch game.

but then again, this is R*, they have no problems launching with major show stoppers. 

I'm just saying that when you factor in console users, desktop users, laptop users with no issues and laptop users WITH this issue.....the laptop users WITH this issue are probably sub 1% of the total gamers with the game.  While that number could still be a high volume of people, relative to the complete userbase, it's very very small.

If game devs would stop trying to just simply port games to other platforms instead of properly optimizing and bug testing for each one the gaming community as a whole would be a lot better off. I'm so tired of picking up games for one system or another and it feeling like PC controls are an afterthought and glaringly obvious development and bug testing issues abound. It goes both ways too. I've seen PC games ported to console and it looks and feels unfinished. What is most irritating of all is that it is rare that the devs do anything about issues and they hide behind their license agreements to prevent the consumer from having any recourse whatsoever. I don't have a problem with software copyrights in general but consumers deserve some basic protection against poor development followed by poor customer service backed by a mafia like mentality at the top. This crap is seriously getting old.

Nope, but I -am- a professional developer; have been for the last 25 years, so I speak from experience. Some things can't be fixed overnight.

Here us a question from another developer to you. how is it that the professional developers and testers forgot to add the test case scenario for switchable graphics when they ask for additional 6 months of testing

I'm just saying that when you factor in console users, desktop users, laptop users with no issues and laptop users WITH this issue.....the laptop users WITH this issue are probably sub 1% of the total gamers with the game. While that number could still be a high volume of people, relative to the complete userbase, it's very very small.

I am having a hard time to believe that the number of desktop users overshadows number of laptop users in the current scenario I think it is rather the contrary

I am having a hard time to believe that the number of desktop users overshadows number of laptop users in the current scenario I think it is rather the contrary

Not really, desktop computers and gaming rigs are easily built, and are also readily available in most big electronics stores, outside of a few exceptions, cheaper than equivalent spec laptops

Not really, desktop computers and gaming rigs are easily built, and are also readily available in most big electronics stores, outside of a few exceptions, cheaper than equivalent spec laptops

Do all the kids in Wolverhampton Uni game on desktops in their dorms? : P

Here us a question from another developer to you. how is it that the professional developers and testers forgot to add the test case scenario for switchable graphics when they ask for additional 6 months of testing

And I'll give you the answer you should know already.  It's not possible to test every conceivable configuration of hardware in the world. Perhaps they considered switchable graphics a fringe use scenario and didn't worry about testing it? Or perhaps they already knew, but considered it low enough usage that it wasn't a show stopper for launch?

You'd have to ask Rockstar the why's of it.

Desktop gamers outnumber laptop gamers by millions, easy. A few seconds with Steams statistics will prove that.

Desktop gamers outnumber laptop gamers by millions, easy. A few seconds with Steams statistics will prove that.

Not meant to burst your bubble but you should check those stats out yourself. There is a reason mobile GPUs take up a very very big slice of the usage %.

Another thing to point out is:

A small "minority" of a large sales figure is still a big user base. 

And I'll give you the answer you should know already.  It's not possible to test every conceivable configuration of hardware in the world. Perhaps they considered switchable graphics a fringe use scenario and didn't worry about testing it? Or perhaps they already knew, but considered it low enough usage that it wasn't a show stopper for launch?

You'd have to ask Rockstar the why's of it.

Well half or more of Gaming capable laptops not working is not "not testing every conceivable configuration". it's a major f up. 

And you do realize the last few years, most all laptops with discrete mid to high end graphics cards have switchable graphics, don't you ?

Well half or more of Gaming capable laptops not working is not "not testing every conceivable configuration". it's a major f up. 

And you do realize the last few years, most all laptops with discrete mid to high end graphics cards have switchable graphics, don't you ?

So? That still makes them the minority usage case compared to desktop gamers.

and yeah, steams stats do not support any claim that desktops is a vast majority, if anything the opposite, but the recorded stats and surveys don't really have the numbers to support either, especially since the surveys are the ones with most relevant information and even they are missing necessary info and very few care to do it, and chances are that those who do are hard core gamers looking to join beta's and aren't a statistically relevant number anyway. 

So? That still makes them the minority usage case compared to desktop gamers.

Well that's still just your assumption, and since Nvidia is also affected, it makes it practically all laptop gamers effected, only nvidia gamers( with some technical knowledge, meaning a small percentage of them) will know how and have and ability to work around the issue.

and when the Minority is potentially as much as 25% or even more of users, that makes it a very important matter. 

chances are there's very few GTAV laptop players though, but not because there's few laptop gamers, cause I'd say the majority of gamers today do it on laptops outside of the MLG core. 

however, R*'s ridiclous inability to optimize their games, means the game is unplayable unless you have a very expensive gaming laptop.  when the game is so graphicaly unintensive it should run just fine on a 650/730

This is surprising how ?

R* won't care, they don't even bother optimizing their games slightly expecting gamers willing t play their games on low to medium settings to have a brand new gaming rig, because "screw optimizing"

If you mean optimization, GTA V is absolutely awesome on PC compared to what GTA IV was, so I truly dunno what you are talking about.

Everyone's some entitled pitchfork bearer these days, "OMG they don't care, they suck, fail" and "gimme gimme", like some whiny baby terrorists.

If you mean optimization, GTA V is absolutely awesome on PC compared to what GTA IV was, so I truly dunno what you are talking about.

Everyone's some entitled pitchfork bearer these days, "OMG they don't care, they suck, fail" and "gimme gimme", like some whiny baby terrorists.

Being more optimized than GT IV is a rpetty meaningless measurement though. 

Let us not get hooked up on how people use the term "optimise".

Some might be talking about performance.

Others might just be talking about R* not testing their bloody exe file.

Do all the kids in Wolverhampton Uni game on desktops in their dorms? : P

I'm not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but in the event it's not, a large number of parents, that I know personally gave their kids their old tri and quad core computers to take with them to Uni, I know this as I took them, and would probably do the same for my son in about 3 or 4 years' time if he decides to go to uni too. Id let him take my old gaming rig with him (or build him another one as my old one is dual core and would probably struggle with the latest games out there)

But ebay has great deals on quad core bundles (cpu/mobo) I could just rip out the old mobo and fit the new, 30 minutes work hardware wise if that.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but in the event it's not, a large number of parents, that I know personally gave their kids their old tri and quad core computers to take with them to Uni, I know this as I took them, and would probably do the same for my son in about 3 or 4 years' time if he decides to go to uni too. Id let him take my old gaming rig with him (or build him another one as my old one is dual core and would probably struggle with the latest games out there)

But ebay has great deals on quad core bundles (cpu/mobo) I could just rip out the old mobo and fit the new, 30 minutes work hardware wise if that.

I was being sarcastic but not mean spirited : ). Personally I would also advise on a laptop for the kid since it has a lot of uses when going to lectures/ meetings/ library.