System will not boot to USB or DVD

My mainboard is a Biostar TA-970, and I am in need of reinstalling Windows, but I can not get the system to boot to the DVD or USB drives, despite going into the BIOS/UEFI and selecting boot override and choosing the DVD or USB drive. I have tried 2 different bootable USB drives and one known good DVD, and nothing happens, it simply continues to boot of the HDD into windows. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this issue?

My mainboard is a Biostar TA-970, and I am in need of reinstalling Windows, but I can not get the system to boot to the DVD or USB drives, despite going into the BIOS/UEFI and selecting boot override and choosing the DVD or USB drive. I have tried 2 different bootable USB drives and one known good DVD, and nothing happens, it simply continues to boot of the HDD into windows. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this issue?

Secure Boot?  What version of Windows are you installing?

I have tried every F key and nothing seems to work. I am attempting to reinstall win 7 X64

You have your BIOS boot order to accept the USB/DVD? Could be just be a bad disk or burn.

The USB has to be FAT32 formatted for UEFI to boot from it.

Else try disabling Secure Boot and then installing 7.

What is secure boot and how do I disable it? I found nothing mentioned in the Motheboard manual about it.

no secure boot for you.  Went through the manual page by page.

couldn't tell you about your boot issue...it could be anything (improper media or usb, cd drive not functioning properly) 

I can't tell you how many times I have explained step by step how to properly burn a iso and they still can't get it right...but it was burned and the data is on the disk, just not correctly (not saying that this is or is not your case, it is just something that happens often...even with follow the pictures instructions). 

no secure boot for you.  Went through the manual page by page.

couldn't tell you about your boot issue...it could be anything (improper media or usb, cd drive not functioning properly) 

I can't tell you how many times I have explained step by step how to properly burn a iso and they still can't get it right...but it was burned and the data is on the disk, just not correctly (not saying that this is or is not your case, it is just something that happens often...even with follow the pictures instructions). 

The disc in question was just used today to reinstall another system, so I know that the media is fine, always burn windows ISO and slow speeds. But thanks for the input! :)

I have had some USB 3.0 sticks that I couldn't boot from. At the time those were Kingston. Later I used another Kingston brand and then it worked. I recently also had a Lenovo Thinkpad at home that wouldn't boot of a USB 3.0 stick as well. Could this be the same case with you?

I have no idea about not being able to boot from the DVD though, I never had that problem, unless there was a problem with the DVD. Have you tried changing the boot options so that it looks to the DVD first, without having to press F8, F9, or whatever combination your motherboard requries?

I have had some USB 3.0 sticks that I couldn't boot from. At the time those were Kingston. Later I used another Kingston brand and then it worked. I recently also had a Lenovo Thinkpad at home that wouldn't boot of a USB 3.0 stick as well. Could this be the same case with you?

I have no idea about not being able to boot from the DVD though, I never had that problem, unless there was a problem with the DVD. Have you tried changing the boot options so that it looks to the DVD first, without having to press F8, F9, or whatever combination your motherboard requries?

The USB drive is 2.0 and I have booted to it before, as for the DVD drive, it is set to boot first :/ even if I enter setup and overide the boot and tell it to boot to the DVD or USB drive, nothing happens. As far as pressing a F key, I have no idea what button is supposed to do this, and the manual is rather mum on that for some reason.

F12 is normally the key to press for boot menu.

I will try that, thanks.

Are you booting into legacy mode ?

Things are different when trying UEFI

As far as I know, no the board is UEFI and I do not have leagacy mode enabled.

Nothing here the other guys have not said...but...F2/F10 and F2/F12 are common. (BIOS/Boot) where Boot is a sub folder of Bios, power on and use F2, the tab over and find "legacy" to boot bios, ensure you select and move devices for boot order, the "Save" changes. open bay. shut down cold, restart with media in and hopefully it works. I entry is password protected for bios entry, put in junk number a few times and an entry code will come up for secure boot. Copy number and get it translated on line, then enter number to get into bios...Hope it helps...so many variations...Cheers...

I will try that, thanks.

it sounds to me like you might need Legacy Mode enabled to boot this stuff or to Install Windows 7.

I will try that, thanks.

Might be the problem - if you can go into UEFI, find the setting to boot, or enable, legacy mode - then try the F12, or F2... whatever key it is - to pull up your boot menu - then your install media should work like normal.

I do not need this, I am using the offical tool from MS

it sounds to me like you might need Legacy Mode enabled to boot this stuff or to Install Windows 7.

There is no option in my BIOS for legacy mode :( I even checked against Biostar's web page that the version of BIOS I am running is the the most up to date, and it is. I am at a total lose here.

I do not need this, I am using the offical tool from MS

There is no option in my BIOS for legacy mode :( I even checked against Biostar's web page that the version of BIOS I am running is the the most up to date, and it is. I am at a total lose here.

If i'm not mistaken doesn't the Install Media have to have a boot/efi/bootx64.efi file for that bios to see it as bootable?

At least that's the case with my Stream 7 .. in this case it needed a bootia32.efi file. If that file wasn't in that directory of what ever I was trying to boot, it would act like it couldn't find a bootable device.

Maybe try this

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

then this.

4) Now here's the hard part. Preparing the flat copy for UEFI.

Go to the EFI folder, make a new folder in there called "boot".

Now go into the "Microsoft" folder which is in the EFI foler. Then boot, and copy the contents.

What it should look like

Put that into your boot folder you just made.

Now that's done. Go to the Sources folder which is in the root Here!

Scroll down to boot.wim, and right click, 7 zip and open archive.

Now go into the folder called "1" Example Image

Go to Windows > Boot > EFI

Scroll down till you see bootmgfw.efi and extract this to your desktop (click on it first, then press extract button at the top)

Now cut that file you extracted to your desktop, and put it into EFI > boot.

Where to put the file

Once you've done that, just rename it to bootx64.

5) Now you've prepare the flat copy for booting from UEFI. It's now time to prepare your USB. This is relatively simple but pay attention YOU COULD ERASE A DISK BY ACCIDENT. So unplug everything you can, but the usb to be sure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321097-how-install-windows-7-uefi-mode-usb.html

Any luck?

I tried the manual method that you showed, but it did not do anything, I am going to attempt to use the program that is mentioned.

I tried the manual method that you showed, but it did not do anything, I am going to attempt to use the program that is mentioned.

make sure you also do the EFI file thing too.

You'll either need to enable legacy boot mode or "fix" the EFI boot loader by creating new media (and not using the MS USB Download tool to make a USB Windows install image).

Windows 7 has a broken UEFI implementation so many boards won't boot from it in UEFI mode without some prodding (the names for the EFI files on the Windows 7 media is non-standard and in the wrong locations). If you don't want to alter the media then you'll need to launch it via the EFI shell...

Technet will walk you through the process.

Additionally, the MS USB Download tool will make the USB drive NTFS which won't work for a UEFI based install.

If your BIOS has a setting for "UEFI boot" make sure it's enabled. Also, try disconnecting the HDD completely and see if it will boot from media without it. (Not helpful for installing anything but it might not be an issue with the media.)