Does Facebook Turn People Into Narcissists ?

Does Facebook Turn People Into Narcissists ?

By TARA PARKER-POPE

Recently I tried to persuade a friend, a professional woman in her 40s, to create a Facebook account. Like many people, I

Narcissists flock to "social media" like FB and gives them an outlet, the site itself has no effect on normal people 

• Like 2

Narcissists flock to "social media" like FB and gives them an outlet, the site itself has no effect on normal people 

Ive always considered FB a way to show off about your life.  As Im a pretty reserved guy, I've never found that I had content to share unless I saw something funny on someone elses wall or page to post on my own wall - usually memes.  I see linkedin that way too, its a necessity for business professionals and I have one just to 'make connections' but I can never post anything there.  

I've never found that I had content to share unless I saw something funny on someone elses wall or page to post on my own wall - usually memes.

And that's all Facebook is these days, only recently did I realise that 9gag is just a far better facebook.

<Reduced the article>

I use Facebook as a communication tool for my friends around the world. Something of the joy of my upbringing, I knew people from all around the world and a majority either went back to their country or they went to another one. Either way, Facebook allows me to continue to check up on them. At the same time, I became friends with these people because we got on. If I share something on my timeline, I work with the understanding that it is something that the friends will maybe enjoy reading/watching.

I would not class myself as a narcissist just because I use Facebook. Although I admit that I just went off the title of the article rather than reading it.

And that's all Facebook is these days, only recently did I realise that 9gag is just a far better facebook.

Pretty much sums up my news feed a lot of the time, the first 5 things on there right now: http://oi61.tinypic.com/300ci75.jpg

All I really use is Facebook Messenger, Facebook's most useful core feature without the spam.

I think social media in general amplify those characteristics, but if you're a reserved person I think it's unlikely that FB, Twitter or IG will change the way you are.

People who like to be at the center of attention, or people who like to gossip just have a more powerful and convenient instrument now, but those people, and I know a few of them, where like that before Facebook, they were like that before MySpace, they were already like that on MSN Messenger.

I remember this article too http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23709009 it's about how people can feel bad about themselves when using Facebook, because they might end up seeing their acquaintances having a good time, or many times pretending they're having a good time, basically people on FB show their best side and rarely post about their problems or defeats that life, undoubtedly, serves them sooner or later, unless they're attention seekers therefore they want others to pity them, which is just another way to catch people's attention, like those "cryptic" status updates "I've never imagined this could happen to me..." or "Sad... bad day... don't talk to me", but in reality I can already picture them sweating and trembling in front of their screens yearning for a like, a comment or a PM.

Before I log onto Facebook I always shower, shave and blow dry my hair. One has to look and be their best at all times.

E1HM9Vz.gif

Bathe yourself in my fabulous presence!!!!!

/s

• Like 1

I have no delusions - I know that nobody cares where/what I am eating/doing.

I hate people who post constant stupid updates - almost as much as people who post religious crap -

I dont use fb anymore because everything on that site started getting on my nerves -- now Im all rainbows and clouds ;)

One study tells us that FB depresses us because 'friends' post positive, happy things about their lives, much of which is either exaggerated or completely fabricated, and when we compare out lives to theirs we end up feeling depressed and envious. The next study says it makes us all narcissists. The next study? You'll grow a tail.

FB biggest crime is that it is a time vampire. It just sucks away hours of your life that you could be doing just about anything else with.  You can use it to keep up to date with some people, but one could easily argue that if you really cared about those people then you would make time in your life to actually visit or contact them,.

FB is like pot: there is nothing wrong with its occasion use if that is your thing, but when you use it too often or in too high an amount it'll rob you of precious time & demotivate you.

This times 1000. I remember when Facebook was only filled with updates with what people are actually doing and not a picture that they found funny found on some website. 

compl3x said that Facebook has become an area for people to show the positive things in their life, but I don't even think it's that. It just a place for people to post crap from 9gag, Lads Bible, Buzzfeed. 

Either that or I just need new friends ;)

I've posted twice on Facebook this year and I have 82 "friends". If FB Messenger wasn't the cheapest, easiest way to keep in contact with a few people I'd have closed my account down a long time ago. I did close it for a few months last year but ended up with a - this person uses Skype, but this person uses Whatsapp and this person uses something else. 

i think facebook allows people to paint a different picture about their lives than what is reality, and i think thats why its so popular. i dont use facebook personally, but when friends/family are on it, i see people i know who make it seem like they are living the dream, but in reality they are a miserable mess.

i think facebook allows people to paint a different picture about their lives than what is reality, and i think thats why its so popular. i dont use facebook personally, but when friends/family are on it, i see people i know who make it seem like they are living the dream, but in reality they are a miserable mess.

This was the point I was trying to make before. People concoct these entirely fictional lives to post about on FB, then others read it and feel depressed about the state of their own lives. Of course, they are unaware that the other people are all full of crap.

This was the point I was trying to make before. People concoct these entirely fictional lives to post about on FB, then others read it and feel depressed about the state of their own lives. Of course, they are unaware that the other people are all full of crap.

May be different for you, but is fictional a little harsh? Most people tend to post the positives on Facebook and leave out the negatives. For example, checking into a Michelin star restaurant and posting about the amazing food but not posting that it's all going on a credit card with a mounting bill.... ;)  

It depends on the person. There are a lot of people who are narcissists even without Facebook.

I myself tend to upload very few photos of myself (my friends already know how I look like and I won't really go to FB to start new relationships). In fact the sole reason I use it is for work (groups).

I hate people who post constant stupid updates - almost as much as people who post religious crap -

I dont use fb anymore because everything on that site started getting on my nerves -- now Im all rainbows and clouds ;)

Exactly, although I've never used FB personally.

My sister in law comes over here quite often and shows the wife some of the stuff on there. Makes me think that FB doesn't turn people into narcissists but sure helps turn them into plain ol' pickles! :x

Personally,

I think all those social networking sites are some of the dumbest sites ever created and it amazes me how so many people are flat out addicted to them. Don't know which is dumber for people to pay attention to, FB or WWE! :x

• Like 2

When I was on fb, I accepted every friend request from every person I had met, talked to in high school and college.
At one time, I had 500 "friends".  Then, eventually I had an epiphany - I never really liked any of these people before, why should I act like I like them now ?

So the 500 became 50 eventually.  Then about 3-4 months ago, I girl I was close friends with in high school started IM-ing me and wanting me to come to Florida to see her.

Being that I am happily engaged, I knew there would be nothing good to come from that scenario, so I posted the next day something like, "this is my last post on facebook" - that was in February.

There were certain groups of people who posted like crazy on facebook - IMO the most annoying were:

(1.) The ones who posted about their workout schedules, or selfies @ the gym, or the "inspirational posts" with some super fit model sweating with 6-pk abs and some dumb ass saying like "if it doesnt hurt - it doesnt work!"
(2.) The ones who posted relgious quotes, or wanted everyone to think they were so nice, such a good christian, so thoughtful - such BS
(3.) The ones who posted pics of them in fancy cars, fancy locations, materialistic quotes
(4.) Especially the ones who posted totally meaningless, pointless, boring, up-to-the-minute things like, "heading to the store to buy toilet paper - oh fun!"

Of course, they are unaware that the other people are all full of crap.

That's my default opinion of everyone on the planet, until such time as I meet them and they prove otherwise. :p

May be different for you, but is fictional a little harsh? Most people tend to post the positives on Facebook and leave out the negatives. For example, checking into a Michelin star restaurant and posting about the amazing food but not posting that it's all going on a credit card with a mounting bill.... ;)

That might be a better way of putting it. It's like a highlight reel of peoples' lives. It shows all of the good things but none of those negative aspects.

Although I have known people who exaggerate their lives on FB to an incredible degree.

My experience with my friends is that it's really not so much about self promotion as it is validation. In other words, when they post baby pictures it's not so much that they are saying 'look what a nice baby I have' so much as looking for a lot of 'likes' for self-validation. I think there is a subtle difference. It's not so much that they are promoting the baby as it is looking for validation for themselves.  

What I wanted FB to be was a way that I could look at old friends and see what their new lives were like and especially what new interests they have. I have new interests since college but no one seemed interested in those. They all seem to be stuck in the past playing, "Another one bites the dust" or some other thing.  Yes, some brag about vacation trips and such, but on my friends list it's not so much like that as it is people posting baby pictures, casseroles, and "thoughts for the day". Oddly, the philosophical graphics and "thoughts for the day" have irritated me more than anything else lately.

Having a "thought for the day" in the morning is not such a bad idea. But posting 10 in the morning, or worse, posting them all day long. Please friends get a clue!! 

• Like 1

You mean how they constantly post picture quotes defining their lives? I get tired of that crap.

Before I log onto Facebook I always shower, shave and blow dry my hair. One has to look and be their best at all times.

E1HM9Vz.gif

Bathe yourself in my fabulous presence!!!!!

/uber serious

I didn't know you were THAT young :shifty:

I have never been a big user of Social Media, especially Facebook, for similar reasons. Obviously, every person on Facebook isn't a narcissist, but those who use it heavily probably are. They seem to revolve around amassing "likes" and "friends" in a similar manner that a traditional narcissist consistently seeks validation of their perceived superiority.