CPU cooler

How we lookin' now? I've made some changes. 

Looking better. Though, I have noticed that the price differences make me cry. My PC Build doesn't include a Water Cooling setup, nor does it include the monitors, or extra GFX cards I'll be buying.

I still think 3x 4TB drives is absolutely ridiculous. What are you going to store that you need so much space? I've been butting heads on this topic with BudMan, and I've opened my eyes a fair bit.

How we lookin' now? I've made some changes. 

I was under the impression that you didn't want to build a gaming PC.

I take it this is the latest list? Lots of things you could cut for a more reasonable price.

- Why do you even need a custom air cooler if you're not overclocking? And if you must really have one just get the cheap universally acclaimed Hyper 212 Evo.

- You certainly don't need an 860W PSU, even 500W should suffice unless you plan on adding a second video card, in which case you still don't need a 860W PSU, 750W max should do.

- Getting the Asrock Extreme6 motherboard - can you identify what features of this specific model you want that justify paying for that instead of, I don't know, the Extreme4 for instance? Or the many other cheaper options that still have plenty of SATA ports and support for all your components?

- Great choice of video card, but do you actually plan on gaming with this build?

I take it this is the latest list? Lots of things you could cut for a more reasonable price.

- Why do you even need a custom air cooler if you're not overclocking? And if you must really have one just get the cheap universally acclaimed Hyper 212 Evo.

- You certainly don't need an 860W PSU, even 500W should suffice unless you plan on adding a second video card, in which case you still don't need a 860W PSU, 750W max should do.

- Getting the Asrock Extreme6 motherboard - can you identify what features of this specific model you want that justify paying for that instead of, I don't know, the Extreme4 for instance? Or the many other cheaper options that still have plenty of SATA ports and support for all your components?

- Great choice of video card, but do you actually plan on gaming with this build?

Glad to see another recommendation for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. You're definitely right. A lot of the items in that list are unnecessary. I was under the impression that it won't be used for gaming but the inclusion of a GTX 970 makes me think he changed his mind.

If it isn't a gaming build, then he can save a lot of money with an mATX build. A cheaper and smaller motherboard means a cheaper and smaller case. Speaking of cases, $189 is pricey even for a gaming build.

Why do you all assume I'm trying to save a buck or two? Where in any of my posts have I specified that I need to save money? I'm not strapped for cash.

No gaming.

Why do you all assume I'm trying to save a buck or two? Where in any of my posts have I specified that I need to save money? I'm not strapped for cash.

No gaming.

We're trying to save you money for other upgrades..

No gaming.

Logic. That's why. It's obvious to me that you want to be illogical. Instead of asking us why we're making safe assumptions, you should make your budget clear to us.

Don't take offence to cost efficiency. Set a budget and tell us that you want to get a gaming card. When you said "no gaming", it's safe for us to assume you don't want a bloody GTX 970. My goodness.

Actually, I'm done with this thread.

NQU1kM2.gif

• Like 1

Logic. That's why. It's obvious to me that you want to be illogical. Instead of asking us why we're making safe assumptions, you should make your budget clear to us.

Don't take offence to cost efficiency. Set a budget and tell us that you want to get a gaming card. When you said "no gaming", it's safe for us to assume you don't want a bloody GTX 970. My goodness.

Actually, I'm done with this thread.

NQU1kM2.gif

ASSume - usually not a good idea.

If you want a quality workstation, with enthusiast level parts (gaming level stuff) - I would be happy to give you some insight.

I do not game much, but always get "gaming" level parts - why ?  Thats the good stuff !

I think people assume penny-pinching because 90% of the time its either bang for your buck, or the person doesnt have much and some component wizardy needs to be done by enthusiasts who know the price and where to get every part by memory... dont even need to look it up - they already know the prices to the exact dollar.

Do you have a budget in mind ?  Something where you would like to stay under ?

If you want a quality workstation, with enthusiast level parts (gaming level stuff) - I would be happy to give you some insight.

I do not game much, but always get "gaming" level parts - why ?  Thats the good stuff !

I think people assume penny-pinching because 90% of the time its either bang for your buck, or the person doesnt have much and some component wizardy needs to be done by enthusiasts who know the price and where to get every part by memory... dont even need to look it up - they already know the prices to the exact dollar.

I agree. Assuming makes an a** out of U and I. Thus, not a good idea.

From what I can tell, from looking at others builds, and the replies received;

A decent GFX Card (GTX500s+)

A beefy CPU

16GB of RAM or higher (I find 32GB to be overkill for a workstation, unless is absolutely needed)

A nice SSD.

I stated a higher watt PSU because there is always room for expansion. I've always found that 550w minimum for a standard PC with built-in, but getting a more powerful GFX card, I've always added an extra 200w per card. It isn't necessary, but accounting for unknown variables is smart.

I put this together in less than 5 minutes.

Its serious horsepower - With more input on budget - it could definately be tweaked - but that is some serious hardware that would have no problem running VMs - add another 16GB you could have a vLab

post-508501-0-20809700-1433237535.jpg

~ $1300

IMO - when it comes to PSU - get the good stuff. but a 1KW isnt needed a here - but a really good 500W is a smart choice.

(I have a 1KW Seasonic Platinum, probably 2x what I need - but it is 1 part that I dont have to worry about.)

Nicely done T3XAS!

Honestly, I'd not use a 550W PSU for that build, I'd push a 650 - 750w, just to be on the safe side. That's just me though.

Also, what website is that?

My idea is to build a machine that'll give me a good 5 years without having to worry too much. I haven't built myself a desktop in nearly 10 years after moving to laptops due to space constants. However I've moved into a new place that has space. 

Got myself a new desk and a shiny monitor the other day, my eyes appreciate the big screen :). Dell Ultrasharp U2412M FYI. Got my POS elitebook (spare I had when Macbook Pro died) on the docking station. 

Machine will mainly be used for VMs, but need power for other stuff. Plus I want a good machine, haven't had one in forever. 

My idea is to build a machine that'll give me a good 5 years without having to worry too much. I haven't built myself a desktop in nearly 10 years after moving to laptops due to space constants. However I've moved into a new place that has space. 

Got myself a new desk and a shiny monitor the other day, my eyes appreciate the big screen :). Dell Ultrasharp U2412M FYI. Got my POS elitebook (spare I had when Macbook Pro died) on the docking station. 

Machine will mainly be used for VMs, but need power for other stuff. Plus I want a good machine, haven't had one in forever. 

So you're in the same boat as I am. The machine I posted earlier has enough juice in it to run anything needed. I'll be adding a 2nd Graphics Card, and more HDD space. With what you're after, I would estimate 2500$ is the final cost, with S&H.

I'm looking for something to last the same time, but it'll be used and abused like a toilet. Though, I do suggest building a NAS for storage, it'd serve you a lot better. Anyways, I'll re-work the build. I would suggest looking at the HDD I posted as well, it has a 2GB/s transfer rate, granted it won't ever max like that. I do a lot of data transferring and working. My PC will be used for Video Encoding, Programming, Gaming, Video Editing, Virtual Machines and more. Being able to encode media in 20 minutes for a 500mb file is epic.

Anyways, money is my problem, it's not that I don't make enough for it, it's saving it is the problem. Always a family member needing something or a bill coming that I wasn't expecting. Oh well, :)

Lastly, I would suggest getting a water cooling unit JUST for your CPU. If it's going to be running 24/7, 7 days a week, year round.

You don't need water cooling for a 24x7x365. I have an i7 that never goes to sleep hosting videos and files. Stock cooler works fine for that

Depends on what you are doing when it's on. If it's constantly churning away then I definitely wouldn't want the stock cooler anywhere near it. For the noise as much as the heat.

Maybe liquid cooling is overkill for your build, but you definitely want something more than stock (especially if you have high ambient temps).

Nicely done T3XAS!

Honestly, I'd not use a 550W PSU for that build, I'd push a 650 - 750w, just to be on the safe side. That's just me though.

Also, what website is that?

I have doubts that the config he made even reaches 250W in full load.

It was a safe assumption though. Would you recommend a GTX 980 Ti to someone that won't be gaming? Setting a budget helps and so does making yourself clear. The less time that's spent wondering what someone wants, the better.

That's a lot better than "No gaming." Now I have a better idea of what you want. I know I said I was done with this thread but now that you're more clear, I can't help but offer my advice. It's just who I am.

What do you think of this?

TCWNXQP.png

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Anaron/saved/#view=xtPNnQ

It's a lot more future-proof than your current build. You're looking at a better CPU, DDR4 RAM, a better motherboard, and a better cooler. You'll want to avoid water cooling because it'l eventually break down. Replacing a broken fan is a lot better than having to dry up your motherboard because of a water leak.

Anyway, you can get a weaker PSU because 850W is overkill but I left it in there in case you decide to get into gaming in the future.