Dell 435MT CPU Upgrade - i7 920 to Xeon 5650

Hi everyone, I recently embarked on a small experiment to see if my current desktop would support an upgrade from a Core-i7 920 processor to an Intel Xeon 5650 processor. I read from several places on the Internet that this is possible. I'm itching to do something nifty with my aging Dell 435MT, and thought this would be a somewhat decent experiment at a relatively low cost of parts.

Without knowing if the no-name motherboard I have (model number is R849J) even supports Xeon's, I jumped in anyway. Sadly, for my particular motherboard, it doesn't appear to want to post. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version available on Dell's website, but that did not help.

Any other things I could try before I try to re-sell the processor? Has anyone with a similar Dell setup tried to drop in a Xeon processor?

Thanks in advance.

Doubtful you're going to get it working that easily with firmware from Dell I'm afraid. I would suggest looking into a replacement 2nd hand board (assuming they're no PSU or case front panel issues).

Boards from the likes of Biostar & Gigabyte seem to have good compatability with Xeons even though they are often not officially supported.