This "Forced Updates for Windows 10 Home" thing has to stop!

The current plans are for Windows 10 Home users to receive all updates as mandatory.  On the surface this sounds like a good idea, as many people may neglect their installation, but Windows also treats new driver updates the same way - and forcing the installation of new drivers is not always a good idea; I have had instances where new drivers were less stable or offered fewer features than older drivers.  There's no option to opt out of new driver updates either - they're treated the same way as other Windows updates.  There is only an "install" button - no option to cancel the installation.

Many users who purchased a Windows 7 laptop received Windows 7 Home Premium, and this only grants a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home.  

Is Microsoft implying that we will need to purchase Windows 10 Pro in order for us to have the "privilege" of deciding whether to install new drivers or not?  Doesn't that seem a little silly, and perhaps a tad draconian?

This decision has the potential to break things on PCs whose owners are not tech savvy, and even if they manage to restore the drivers - Windows Update will auto-install the new drivers AGAIN.  There's no way out.

I'm sorry to be so dramatic, but this cannot be allowed to be allowed to become the status quo. 

Not at all.  If you are a Pro user that wants total control over your OS then purchase a pro OS.  For virtually everyone else (as you mention) this will be great news to keep them updated.

No, updates should be forced for home users. Average user not updating is one of the biggest boons to PC techs and one of the main causes for their computers to get screwed up.

The current plans are for Windows 10 Home users to receive all updates as mandatory.  On the surface this sounds like a good idea, as many people may neglect their installation, but Windows also treats new driver updates the same way - and forcing the installation of new drivers is not always a good idea; I have had instances where new drivers were less stable or offered fewer features than older drivers.  There's no option to opt out of new driver updates either - they're treated the same way as other Windows updates.  There is only an "install" button - no option to cancel the installation.

Many users who purchased a Windows 7 laptop received Windows 7 Home Premium, and this only grants a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home.  

Is Microsoft implying that we will need to purchase Windows 10 Pro in order for us to have the "privilege" of deciding whether to install new drivers or not?  Doesn't that seem a little silly, and perhaps a tad draconian?

This decision has the potential to break things on PCs whose owners are not tech savvy, and even if they manage to restore the drivers - Windows Update will auto-install the new drivers AGAIN.  There's no way out.

I'm sorry to be so dramatic, but this cannot be allowed to be allowed to become the status quo. 

You do understand that if they are taking this approach, they will make damn sure that whatever they release into the "stable" branch is going to be as stable as possibly since 75% of their user base is going to auto update as soon as they release it. So look at this as a better microsoft / better management of updates instead of "hey we think this is good with our limited testing" " OH ###### NO, FIRE FIRE EVERYWHERE, ROLLBACK, heres a KB"..

I see this as a positive thing

• Like 2

net stop wuauserv

If you do that (assuming MS doesn't do the obvious thing and run another service to protect it) you probably don't want to be on the Home version.

I don't mind the updates, but a compromise can be automatic security updates but "recommended" updates for drivers and software.

That is why it is a compromise. The security updates should rightly be mandatory. The other updates can be done as now, notifying and reminding the user that updates are available and letting them update with a click.

Personally I think it's a dumb idea, just because I'm tech savy does not mean I want to blow an extra 99$ on the computers I have that won't get pro (2 out of the 7 will get it) plus I have a couple of people that have hotspots (cell internet they use on vacation\retired) for a few months of the year and they usually hold off till they are at someplace they can connect to wi-fi.

I can't speak for all of them but most of the "Pro"-level users feel that this a good thing. I'm actually a Pro-level user myself but got a Home Premium version when I got my laptop. The Home Premium version can run just about anything that I've tried except "Enterprise" level software. It runs Visual Studio Community Edition, Github, SQL Server, etc. It's not like you might think of "Home Basic". 

The best argument that someone else has given me is that if I'm someone with knowledge enough to do all that then I should be on Pro anyway. Fair enough. It hacks me though that Microsoft wants me to upgrade then takes real capabilities away. 

I don't really expect their updates to be flawless. I just hope their rollbacks are darn near flawless. 

I too am worried about the automatic driver updates. I had to disable it in Windows 8 because Windows Update kept messing up my video driver by force installing an outdated one.

It's even sillier when WU coughs up drivers that are older than the installed ones. It's rare but I've seen it happen on some laptops.

Does it automatically update graphic card drivers? Because considering how bad the two most recent driver releases are from nvidia I can see this being not such a good thing.

I too am worried about this automatic driver updates. I had to disable it in Windows 8 because Windows Update kept messing up my video driver by installing outdated one.

Yeah.  This is stripping away control from users' PCs and doing something they don't want done.

I understand this was done in order to increase the overall security of the Windows platform for all users, but there are other ways to do this.  Why not just make this a default setting?  Why remove the ability to manage one's own updates if one sees fit?

This is MS deciding what should be installed on your PC, regardless of whether you want it or not, and asking you to pay for a higher tier product if you want the control of what gets installed.

You've got updates, don't want them?  Too bad.  Pay up.

Does it automatically update graphic card drivers? Because considering how bad the two most recent driver releases are from nvidia I can see this being not such a good thing.

It does.  I just had newer NVIDIA drivers auto-installed when I already had the right NVIDIA drivers I wanted.

I think forced driver updates are a mistake as well. Security updates mandatory, but not driver updates unless a vulnerability is discovered in a specific driver. I'm very worried about MS's QC on patches as of late and hope they understand not everyone knows what to do in a boot loop situation.

• Like 1

*sigh*  So you're upset that you bought an OS in 2009 that is getting a free upgrade in 2015 but it's not the right upgrade you want...   Just make believe Microsoft never offered you Windows 10 for free and pay the $99 like you would normally.

• Like 2

Don't forget that MS is keeping the fast and slow rings after Win 10 RTM's.

So updates will have passed to extra testing rings before they are pushed out to the normal users

Hopefully that reduces the problems with faulty updates even more.

I'm all for this auto updating on Home versions. It makes PC's safer for the majority of the people

Others who want more control can get the PRO version

*sigh*  So you're upset that you bought an OS in 2009 that is getting a free upgrade in 2015 but it's not the right upgrade you want...   Just make believe Microsoft never offered you Windows 10 for free and pay the $99 like you would normally.

Right I should be happy we are losing a feature we already have (is it really a upgrade if they are taking away features?) to get access to their store, hmm think I keep the update feature and pass on the MS store (on the computers that won't get pro) and keeping on getting extended support till January 14, 2020.

Right I should be happy we are losing a feature we already have (is it really a upgrade if they are taking away features?)... to get access to their store.. hmm think I keep the update feature and pass on the MS store (on the computers that won't get pro) and keeping on getting extended support till January 14, 2020.

No, you should be happy Microsoft is making the whole Windows infrastructure safer for everyone while giving Pro users the ability to still get what they want by buying the Pro upgrade.

• Like 3

No, you should be happy Microsoft is making the whole Windows infrastructure safer for everyone while giving Pro users the ability to still get what they want by buying the Pro upgrade.

You really think that their system will stop malware from disabling it? just making it the default on would be enough. most of the people that don't know about managing their updates won't go in and change the settings anyway. (Pro users get what they want as long as MS gets some extra $$ in the deal to upgrade any per-built computers like laptops that most of the time have the OS Premium version with it.)

Oh, I forgot.  The magic software fairies are on the job upgrading software and it's at no cost to anyone.  What?  Those bastards at Microsoft are charging money for something?  Break out the dollar sign in the logo!!! Back to Micro$oft when referring to those greedy bastards!!

Oh, I forgot.  The magic software fairies are on the job upgrading software and it's at no cost to anyone.  What?  Those bastards at Microsoft are charging money for something?  Break out the dollar sign in the logo!!! Back to Micro$oft when referring to those greedy bastards!!

If you have to pay to keep a feature you already have then it's not free is it?

Tell us how you really feel.