This "Forced Updates for Windows 10 Home" thing has to stop!

*sigh*  So you're upset that you bought an OS in 2009 that is getting a free upgrade in 2015 but it's not the right upgrade you want...   Just make believe Microsoft never offered you Windows 10 for free and pay the $99 like you would normally.

I wouldn't pay $99 anyway. And if I am not even going to take the free upgrade because of this, then that seems like a bit of an issue to me.

No, you should be happy Microsoft is making the whole Windows infrastructure safer for everyone while giving Pro users the ability to still get what they want by buying the Pro upgrade.

If auto installing drivers can causes issues & one cannot change that setting then that's a problem. And you're saying pay $99 to solve it? It's not a issue on Windows 8, so why would take the free upgrade at all let alone pay $99??

if you really think they are giving it away out of the goodness of their hearts and not just wanting to get the store out there more, not really sure what to tell you then.

It should be enabled by default not even giving them the choice during the setup as it currently does (win7, win8) however forcing it and locking out the option to opt out is poor design and an artificial way to prop up the pro version at best. Given the occasional driver and patch issues that still occur I dare say this feature will become a pi

• Like 2

Sorry but you're plain wrong, as a tech savvy user who will keep Home and let the updates roll I have no issue with this, and neither should you, al this nonsense about drivers is a weak deflection, very rarely do drivers cause issues, especially not in fairly "new" hardware

If you're so hell bent on having the "right" to screw up your system by not updating, then pay the price, simple as that 

Absolutely they're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.  They want to corner the market like any other business out there.  In the meantime, they also realize that having insecure and out of date systems (with even outdated drivers) cause people to blame the OS and conversely the company that made the OS, so they are letting it loose for free under their conditions.

But, you, as a consumer, have choices.  You put yours in a previous post.  You can have an opinion whether it's fair or not.  Your opinion can get criticized in a public forum.  These are all things that happen in a free market.

No one has any idea yet what the forced driver updates will be like so saying that they will cause issues no matter what is an uninformed opinion.  I, for one, agree with Sikh in that I think this will make Microsoft more picky about the drivers it approves for the automatic updates.  Otherwise bad drivers would get out and ultimately harm the Windows name, which is what Microsoft is trying to avoid.

It's one thing if Microsoft was offering this as the only solution and you had no options.  No, this is the free upgrade solution.  You are more than welcome to upgrade to Pro, El Capitan, Ubuntu, or whatever else you want.

Are you guys sure driver updates are automatic?  I never had this happen other than on my Surface Pro 3.  I am still on a 2 month old video driver and I run Windows Update every chance I get.  Are you sure it isn't an option somewhere that you guys are checking?

All the computers at work show them as optional updates too.  Not automatic.

Sorry but you're plain wrong, as a tech savvy user who will keep Home and let the updates roll I have no issue with this, and neither should you, al this nonsense about drivers is a weak deflection, very rarely do drivers cause issues, especially not in fairly "new" hardware

If you're so hell bent on having the "right" to screw up your system by not updating, then pay the price, simple as that 

Right.  If it ain't broken, keep fixing it until it is.

Absolutely they're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.  They want to corner the market like any other business out there.  In the meantime, they also realize that having insecure and out of date systems (with even outdated drivers) cause people to blame the OS and conversely the company that made the OS, so they are letting it loose for free under their conditions.

But, you, as a consumer, have choices.  You put yours in a previous post.  You can have an opinion whether it's fair or not.  Your opinion can get criticized in a public forum.  These are all things that happen in a free market.

No one has any idea yet what the forced driver updates will be like so saying that they will cause issues no matter what is an uninformed opinion.  I, for one, agree with Sikh in that I think this will make Microsoft more picky about the drivers it approves for the automatic updates.  Otherwise bad drivers would get out and ultimately harm the Windows name, which is what Microsoft is trying to avoid.

It's one thing if Microsoft was offering this as the only solution and you had no options.  No, this is the free upgrade solution.  You are more than welcome to upgrade to Pro, El Capitan, Ubuntu, or whatever else you want.

Yes, we do know what the forced driver updates are like.  It's happening right now with the W10 preview.  I even got video card drivers being auto-installed.   I have an older video card and the newer drivers for it have been less stable for me than the old.

You really think that their system will stop malware from disabling it? just making it the default on would be enough. most of the people that don't know about managing their updates won't go in and change the settings anyway. (Pro users get what they want as long as MS gets some extra $$ in the deal to upgrade any per-built computers like laptops that most of the time have the OS Premium version with it.)

But those users will have one of their IT Pro friends that knows everything so much better then MS turn those updates off when they can, leaving those users unprotected again. You hear those stories here way to often

I have a Gforce 560 ti and a few months of headaches a while ago that would like to have words with that driver statement.

Not quite sure what the big deal is. I guess i've just been lucky.. on the 2nd Tuesday of the month I do all the monthly updates on all my machines the moment they come out and I've never had a problem.

The average user has been having updates install automatically forever anyway.

• Like 2

Okay...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836914/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-353-06-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-31-15-/39/

There's 45 pages of people complaining about driver issues with their brand new hardware. That's just one thread of many created in the last two weeks.

How about a forced chkdsk /f prior to updates being downloaded and installed. While the update process is mostly harmless where I see it do damage is when the person has cross linked files and corrupted files. Having the system do a chkdsk prior to download and install would help with this a ton.

It does.  I just had newer NVIDIA drivers auto-installed when I already had the right NVIDIA drivers I wanted.

Since when? Driver updates have always come under the optional tab.

They shouldn't be getting auto installed.

There is no optional tab.  This is happening as we speak on W10 preview.  As far as we know this will not affect W7&8.1.

They shouldn't be getting auto installed, and well I have never ever seen them auto install across all my Windows devices.

Right now 10 does not have a "optional" tab so not sure what MS plans on those updates.

I believe they will be if you use Windows 10 Home.

There is no optional tab.  This is happening as we speak on W10 preview.  As far as we know this will not affect W7&8.1.

Oh right you mean on Windows 10. Sorry wasn't paying attention to which forum this topic was in.

I'm going to guess that with those driver updates they will be tested by MS beforehand which is a good thing. Nvidia driver quality is downright pathetic. ATI/AMD used to be atrocious but at least they have made improvements in the past few years. Nvidia seems more concerned with pushing ###### 500% performance improvement in this one tiny tiny bit of this game rather than making sure their drivers aren't buggy.

Let's not even get into how crap their vbioses are either.

Same, I do not know what everybody is going on about.  I never had drivers auto update, and they are always in the Optional tab.

• Like 2

This is only an issue to a pro user, who shouldn't be using Home in the first place. 

Next.

No it's not only an issue to a "pro user". Pay attention.

Is Microsoft creating these drivers, or just distributing them?  I do not think it is Microsoft's fault if a driver is bad.  If you manually install the latest drivers whenever they are released, you would have the same problem wouldn't you?  Go yell at the manufacturers who are making the bad drivers to begin with.  

This is only an issue to a pro user, who shouldn't be using Home in the first place. 

Next.

Regardless of who you are, updates sometimes break things.  Trag3dy mentioned users of the GTX 980 having stuff go wrong with the latest graphics drivers.  The issue is that

1) They'll install drivers even for major components automatically

2) If the drivers break something and you revert back to previous drivers, the new drivers that broke things will be installed again.

Is Microsoft creating these drivers, or just distributing them?  I do not think it is Microsoft's fault if a driver is bad.  If you manually install the latest drivers whenever they are released, you would have the same problem wouldn't you?  Go yell at the manufacturers who are making the bad drivers to begin with.  

It's Microsoft forcing the drivers to be installed and not giving me an option to opt out without paying them $100 that's the problem.

Regardless of who you are, updates sometimes break things.  Trag3dy mentioned users of the GTX 980 having stuff go wrong with the latest graphics drivers.  The issue is that

1) They'll install drivers even for major components automatically

2) If the drivers break something and you revert back to previous drivers, the new drivers that broke things will be installed again.

It's Microsoft forcing the drivers to be installed and not giving me an option to opt out without paying them $100 that's the problem.

Have you disabled the option through the Advanced System Properties Hardware Device Installation Settings?

The sound drivers during my windows 10 testing took a turn for the worse on the last few builds.  The defaults were changed in a way that didn't make much sense.  Defaulting my sound to head phones when I had none, and setting the sound format to 24-bit when the card apparently didn't support it.  It's like they want the user to think the drivers don't work.  Then on my notebook I have hybrid graphics.  Nothing on windows update supported my card when windows 8 first came out.  We're talking bluescreens here people.  So do I want them to implement forced updates on drivers?  HELL YES!  It's the only way they will ever learn.