Business VOIP System - Mitel

You might have seen my post about the issues I was having with my old analog phone system.. Turns out, the software in the PBX is corrupted and instead of spending the time and money to fix it, I am looking into getting a new system all together. The vendor I have talked to, very briefly, is a huge MiTel shop and is really pushing it. I have another meeting with them today to go more in-depth. I have found a lot of good reviews for the MiTel systems on Spiceworks.. Other than that.. I can't really find a whole lot about these systems.

That is one reason I am not a huge fan of this NEC system.. You can find the NEC documentation all day, but trying to find support or people talking about issue, really hard. I don't want to run into that with this MiTel system. I would like something that I can easily get information to troubleshoot issues. I am also worried about downtime in general. I have two 100Meg lines coming into the building and a DSL line for backup\failover. The DSL is only 25/2 and I don't know how many lines that I support.. I still have a bit more research to do, but was curious to see if any Neowinians have used MiTel.. 

If you have 25 down/2 up then that is quite alot of telephone calls it can handle.

Pop Quiz.....Where does the name Mitel come from? No cheating using Google.

Hello,

I used to work for a competitor of Mitel's about ten years ago.  Back then, their phone systems were considered (by us) to be reliable but did not have a lot of features, at least on the VoIP side.  I would imagine the latter has changed in the past decade.

Possible competitors include 8x8, RingCentral and Shoretel, but I've been out of that industry long enough to have detailed information about the players in it. 

If you are unfamiliar with VoIP phone systems, one excellent resource I would suggest is the www.voip-info.org wiki.  I found it very helpful looking up terms (especially those used by competitors), troubleshooting interoperability issues, etc.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have a client that has the micloud service or mitel anywhere. The 5 up 20 down business cable line from Comcast was not fast enough/stable enough to handle the service. Needed to switch to the next level which was 50/10. They have 8 phones at their main site.

Seems like it was ok at best. I would not recommend them to another client due to the amount of issues my client has had. At least not the cloud service. The on-site pbx is more stable, but at $360+ taxes a year for 10 phones it was a bit more tolerable than dropping several thousand in one year for an on site pbx, even depreciating the phone system after 5 years didn't come close to the price of the cloud service after 5 years. It would have taken 15 years of depreciation to come close to equaling the cloud service...That was a big nut to swallow.

You may be able to find services around 20 a month per phone, you may have to buy the phones out right...the,30 a month included the phone in the deal as well as unlimited calls within the us, with my client only making us calls it really was the icing on the cake. I would look forward your isp to see if they offer a cloud service and to find out cost. They are competitive and they have no point to blame other than their own service, when they try to play the blame game like mitel does.