Galaxy S 6 vs Motorola Nexus 6

So I'm done with Windows Phone sadly. I was wondering if the Nexus 6 is still stock Android and you get direct updates from Google like it used to be if I remember correctly? Also I just wanted your guys opinion about the two.

So I'm done with Windows Phone sadly. I was wondering if the Nexus 6 is still stock Android and you get direct updates from Google like it used to be if I remember correctly? Also I just wanted your guys opinion about the two.

The Galaxy S6 has a better camera, better CPU/GPU and a better screen.

But of course, you pay more for those things.

Depends where your priorities are :)

I have the S6 Edge -- it's superb .. only thing I'm unsure about is battery life - particularly when I'm travelling. I used to carry a spare battery for my S5 so the range was superb. Guess that can be covered using a USB portable charger.

S6 is a beautiful phone but it has Touchwiz :(, Nexus not quite as gorgeous but it does have stock Android, IMO go with the Nexus I don't think you will regret it.

I have the S6 Edge -- it's superb .. only thing I'm unsure about is battery life - particularly when I'm travelling. I used to carry a spare battery for my S5 so the range was superb. Guess that can be covered using a USB portable charger.

Do you have a case on your Edge? I was wondering how that works with the slant and all?

S6 is a beautiful phone but it has Touch Wiz :(, Nexus not quite as gorgeous but it does have stock Android, IMO go with the Nexus I don't think you will regret it.

That's the feeling I'm getting but it's still a rough choice.

Do you have a case on your Edge? I was wondering how that works with the slant and all?

That's the feeling I'm getting but it's still a rough choice.

No .. I don't have a case .. I did consider getting one but thought it spoilt the look and feel of the phone. I'm very careful with it in any case, if you'll excuse the pun.

No .. I don't have a case .. I did consider getting one but thought it spoilt the look and feel of the phone. I'm very careful with it in any case, if you'll excuse the pun.

Pun excused :)

The Galaxy S6 has a better camera, better CPU/GPU and a better screen.

But of course, touchwiz lags all that

Depends where your priorities are :)

FTFY

@ OP, im NEVER ever buying samsung again, touchwiz is HORRIBLE, for me anyway. you can google away for the horrible experiences that touchwiz even on the all mighty and powerful s6

S6 is a beautiful phone but it has Touchwiz :(, Nexus not quite as gorgeous but it does have stock Android, IMO go with the Nexus I don't think you will regret it.

see what I mean.

Dont get me wrong, the s6 is a beautiful devices, but after having owned an s4 and partially a s5... touchwiz will find a way to make it lag, I promise. though they admitedlly are streamlining with every release, atm it's just no there in terms of fluidity, it's not lag, but the "touchwiz stutter".

FTFY

@ OP, im NEVER ever buying samsung again, touchwiz is HORRIBLE, for me anyway. you can google away for the horrible experiences that touchwiz even on the all mighty and powerful s6

see what I mean.

Dont get me wrong, the s6 is a beautiful devices, but after having owned an s4 and partially a s5... touchwiz will find a way to make it lag, I promise. though they admitedlly are streamlining with every release, atm it's just no there in terms of fluidity IMO.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/samsung-galaxy-s-6--s-6-edge-unified-development/rom-xtrestolite-deodexed-mod-edition-1-3-t3119968

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/development/rom-xtrestolite-pure-edition-1-0-beta-1-t3082467

(Y)

FTFY

see what I mean.

Dont get me wrong, the s6 is a beautiful devices, but after having owned an s4 and partially a s5... touchwiz will find a way to make it lag, I promise. though they admitedlly are streamlining with every release, atm it's just no there in terms of fluidity IMO.

You can take touchwiz off and use any launcher on it such as Nova so S6 will be great with Nova.  Problem solved.  :) 

That's what I did with my Note 2 and S4.

Ah.. cool.. I will try that someday.

I would not even hesitate and go with Nexus 6. Vanilla Android cannot be beaten and a better camera or processor won't make up for it in my books. 0-day OS update using factory images with fastboot. Nexus 6 has a bigger battery screen.

• Like 1

I would not even hesitate and go with Nexus 6. Vanilla Android cannot be beaten and a better camera or processor won't make up for it in my books. 0-day OS update using factory images with fastboot. Nexus 6 has a better battery and bigger screen.

I agree. I can't be hassled with buggy roms...

I know, heart xda. But is that something the OP would do?

See that has me a little freaked out... I mean I can put a computer together in ten minutes but I've always been freaked out about flashing phones for some reason lol

See that has me a little freaked out... I mean I can put a computer together in ten minutes but I've always been freaked out about flashing phones for some reason lol

It's easy. one click apps  in most cases

But from my experience, Samsung S4, LG G3 ROMS are generally buggier than stock manufacturer rom. heck both those never hit stable and were always on nightlies.

Then there's ROMS based on stock rom, with junk removed, which kinda get the job done, but introduce some bugs as well, as they introduce features.

Please note this is my experience from those two phones, can't say if it's the same scenario for the s6 (It probably is to some extent).

But down to business, don't think about it spec wise, both are up to date modern phones, you can work around them, they have enough juice for anything, any one special feature that makes you want one or the other?

If you are not an experienced user with phone rooting I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Unless you know someone reliable that can do it for you.

From past experience with Samsung phones you need to use Odin to do the prep work on the phone prior to rooting it. And you can brick it for good. With Google phones it's super easy with ADB and Fastboot.

That's Odin

Odindownload.JPG

• Like 1

If you are not an experienced user with phone rooting I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. Unless you know someone reliable that can do it for you.

From past experience with Samsung phones you need to use Odin to do the prep work on the phone prior to rooting it. And you can brick it for good. With Google phones it's super easy with ADB and Fastboot.

Aye... forgot about odin...

It's easy. one click apps  in most cases

But from my experience, Samsung S4, LG G3 ROMS are generally buggier than stock manufacturer rom. heck both those never hit stable and were always on nightlies.

Then there's ROMS based on stock rom, with junk removed, which kinda get the job done, but introduce some bugs as well, as they introduce features.

Please note this is my experience from those two phones, can't say if it's the same scenario for the s6 (It probably is to some extent).

But down to business, don't think about it spec wise, both are up to date modern phones, you can work around them, they have enough juice for anything, any one special feature that makes you want one or the other?

I'm really digging on the bigger screen and battery on the Nexus. But the specs on the Galaxy are pretty sexy, but like you said they are pretty much on par to a point I'm not sure I would notice.

Reading through this still has me on edge with rooting...

I'm really digging on the bigger screen and battery on the Nexus. But the specs on the Galaxy are pretty sexy, but like you said they are pretty much on par to a point I'm not sure I would notice.

Reading through this still has me on edge with rooting...

Thing is, spec wise, in terms of raw performance (cpu/ram) you wouldn't notice the difference, heck probably the nexus 6 will be snappier as it is stock android vs touchwiz.

I'm sure about other specs as cameras (front and back), finger print sensor and all those other features.

Thing is, spec wise, in terms of raw performance (cpu/ram) you wouldn't notice the difference, heck probably the nexus 6 will be snappier as it is stock android vs touchwiz.

I'm sure about other specs as cameras (front and back), finger print sensor and all those other features.

A lot of the extra stuff on the Galaxy I can live without as long as I get a better more solid experience on the Nexus.

Guppy is right. Touchwiz WILL slow down the OS. Stock Android will feel way snappier than a Touchwiz coat of paint. Camera isn't all that bad and you will get bigger screen (less DPI but still a great screen) and bigger battery.

Even if you won't root it. Go stock Android. The difference is huge.

• Like 1

A lot of the extra stuff on the Galaxy I can live without as long as I get a better more solid experience on the Nexus.

Well then, I believe you have your answer :cool:

Guppy is right. Touchwiz WILL slow down the OS. Stock Android will feel way snappier than a Touchwiz coat of paint. Camera isn't all that bad and you will get bigger screen (less DPI but still a great screen) and bigger battery.

Even if you won't root it. Go stock Android. The difference is huge.

• Like 1