Single mom arrested for

Most malls have children playgrounds with supervised care, she could've probably just drop them off in one of those places. Who knows, but if she did not hear them crying it's possible eye contact was not established. Kidnapping is a serious threat, it's best if she gets arrested now as a serious warning.

And just because the caller said the children were crying doesn't actually means they were.  The mother was doing her best to care for and look after her children given the circumstances (as she explained) and the police displayed a complete lack of civil behavior and common sense.

Of course, since neither you or I were present to observe what happened, we can only go by the article, so perhaps it is best to temper our judgements.

Edited by Jeston
Cleaned
  • Like 1

I am surprised at all of the support for the mom and all the "back in my day... " comments.  No one has an issue with a 6 year old "watching" the 2 year old?  Are there really any parents in here that would be ok with this?  I totally agree that the mother should not have been arrested but I do not believe for a second that she had a line of sight to the kids.  I mean.. unless she was interviewing at another food place and the interview was taking place at a table in the food court.  

The reason this is nuts is the lady can't catch a break. She needs a job and she has kids so she has to do what she can to work within her situation. She did that.

People complain that single parents suck up welfare and are lazy and should be cut off from "abusing the system". As soon as these people try to do something other than fit into that mold they get treated like criminals. Despicable really.

But stuff like this is one reason I'm not doing the kid route. The government is more than happy to tell you everything you can't do with them, but not willing to help you actually do anything with them.

• Like 2

The reason this is nuts is the lady can't catch a break. She needs a job and she has kids so she has to do what she can to work within her situation. She did that.

People complain that single parents suck up welfare and are lazy and should be cut off from "abusing the system". As soon as these people try to do something other than fit into that mold they get treated like criminals. Despicable really.

But stuff like this is one reason I'm not doing the kid route. The government is more than happy to tell you everything you can't do with them, but not willing to help you actually do anything with them.

Ok.. but its two separate issues.  I am thrilled that she is doing the right thing as far as a job is concerned, but to put your kids safety on the line to achieve that is where I question it.  Sure, most likely this goes off with no issues, kids stay put, no one approaches them and the mom completes her interview and all is great.  But that one time someone isnt paying attention for a second, a kid can get snatched.  that cant possibly be worth some job in a mall.  As I said earlier I def dont think she should have been arrested but this persons judgement is questionable.

Ok.. but its two separate issues. I am thrilled that she is doing the right thing as far as a job is concerned, but to put your kids safety on the line to achieve that is where I question it. Sure, most likely this goes off with no issues, kids stay put, no one approaches them and the mom completes her interview and all is great. But that one time someone isnt paying attention for a second, a kid can get snatched. that cant possibly be worth some job in a mall. As I said earlier I def dont think she should have been arrested but this persons judgement is questionable.

In reality going outside at all increases the danger of the kid being injured, kidnapped, or murdered. Should the kids never go outside?

• Like 1

In reality going outside at all increases the danger of the kid being injured, kidnapped, or murdered. Should the kids never go outside?

Apparently that's what we are supposed to do... IDK, my daughter will be 14 in 2 days and I know that we often went to stores and told her go to the toy section and stay while we did our shopping, and no one ever accused us of abandoning our child, and we were more then 30 feet away.

I don't think the problem here is that the kids were unattended or abandoned  , but more like in danger. The judge dropped abandonmend , because that would never ever stick, obvously. You might argue that leaving them alone for 30 minutes in a food court of a mall is not like leaving them alone in a biker bar at 2AM but that is not important.

The kids are 6 and 2 years old. Leaving a 2 or 6 years old 30 feet away from his or her's handler , even whitin the handlers line of sight leaves a bit too much posibility of selfharm in my opinion. Regardless of where they are , in just a moment they can forget or disregard you told them to stay (kids do that) and wander off or start playing with a power socket ...

I don't think the problem here is that the kids were unattended or abandoned  , but more like in danger. The judge dropped abandonmend , because that would never ever stick, obvously. You might argue that leaving them alone for 30 minutes in a food court of a mall is not like leaving them alone in a biker bar at 2AM but that is not important.

The kids are 6 and 2 years old. Leaving a 2 or 6 years old 30 feet away from his or her's handler , even whitin the handlers line of sight leaves a bit too much posibility of selfharm in my opinion. Regardless of where they are , in just a moment they can forget or disregard you told them to stay (kids do that) and wander off or start playing with a power socket ...

And kids can get up and wander around a house at night while you are asleep.  What do you do, lock them in their bedrooms?

This was an overreaction by the police.  Good policing involves working within the community, not against it, and using a civil, common sense approach to law enforcement and safety.   In today's climate that can be a difficult task, but we still need to hold law enforcement to a high standard of professionalism.

• Like 1

Ok.. but its two separate issues.  I am thrilled that she is doing the right thing as far as a job is concerned, but to put your kids safety on the line to achieve that is where I question it.  Sure, most likely this goes off with no issues, kids stay put, no one approaches them and the mom completes her interview and all is great.  But that one time someone isnt paying attention for a second, a kid can get snatched.  that cant possibly be worth some job in a mall.  As I said earlier I def dont think she should have been arrested but this persons judgement is questionable.

You know, this is the elephant in the room right here.

When did we transition into a state of what-ifs and fear-mongering?

Double post warranted.

I think this all came about due to the fact that we have instant access to news media and the power of the internet brings us this news 24/7. So while I don't think, at all, children are more at risk of self danger or that from others (such as pedophiles) than they were 50 years ago, we hear about it every....single....day. We've literally been brainwashed that our young are under constant threat and have to be under our immediate protection at all times.

Kinda makes me want to forego having a kid cause if I give them the independence I had I'll be crucified or if I do as society dictates then I'll mess up the kid mentally (imo, being sheltered only hurts).

Browder was taken into custody by police when she went to claim her kids, after someone at the mall called police saying the children had been left there crying.

So, she went to claim them and they were crying. The children were not happy with their situation. A big difference from children roaming at their own leisure. A big difference from the "hearth worming" stories about "free" kids. These were very small children under duress. Her looking for a job is a right but it doesn't fix the wrong of letting a two year old alone and crying.

And kids can get up and wander around a house at night while you are asleep.  What do you do, lock them in their bedrooms?

This was an overreaction by the police.  Good policing involves working within the community, not against it, and using a civil, common sense approach to law enforcement and safety.   In today's climate that can be a difficult task, but we still need to hold law enforcement to a high standard of professionalism.

nope , you don't lock them in. when they wake up ,you wake up (they WILL make sure of that) :) . You probably didn't have many young kids around ... It's not about removing danger allthogether , thchnically they can die falling out of bed. It's about minimising the chances. We are talking 2 and 6 years old. Maybe the preschooler can handle itself alone for a while. Sure as hell i wouldn't leave a 2 years old more than a few meters away from my reach in any other situation than on a properly baby-proofed ground. Ever since i was 5 i was actually free to roam romanian country side, no supervision (i used to be a redneck :D) , i do believe in giving children some headroom. But at 2 years you are not talking human children but more like a very fragile newborn chimp that is slowly learning to talk.

American police is indeed letting out a lot of these "bloopers" lately. I saw an episode of Last week Toninght about american cops heaving APCs and armored cars.Also a thing or 2 about Civil Asset Forfeiture being abused like hell. That police force neeeds a lot of fixing , these little overractions would be ... bloopers if they were the only problem. Scratch that. America kind of needs a fix of common sense alltogether .... I'm not wearing my pants too tight , but extreme "overs" and "unders" are probably part of western culture by now ... Visited a western country some time ago. Security cameras eye level EVERYWHER , even older relatives in the group who lived before '89 (fall of comunism here) here were not fully ok with that. Talking of kids , thoes were out of control too.

You know, this is the elephant in the room right here.

When did we transition into a state of what-ifs and fear-mongering?

Last I checked you don't just hope that nothing bad happens to your kids.  And it starts by not putting them in a situation where something can happen.  This is a far cry from fear mongering.

Edit - and I will agree with you on your 2nd post.  I know as a kid I did a ton of stuff that I would never let me kids do at the same age.  Kidnapping and everything certainly took place back then but as you said now that the info is there it certainly changes my attitude.

Why? The new youth is being turned into a bunch of Entitled wusses.

hey now! dont be a cyber bully! imma tell!

/sarcasm

Obviously there is more to the story that media is leaving out.

Alot goes on in between leaving kids: > eyeballing kids screaming and crying > interviewing for job > eyeballing kids screaming and crying > police being called >> eyeballing kids screaming and crying >> done with job interview >> Arrested.

Should let parents do what they want, it's their child after all. A warning should've been made to her though about it. Most people don't like being told what to do but they should be punished to the extreme in the event they fail to do the duty they were assigned. So if the kids get kidnapped then the punishment should be severe.

. along with this kind of nonsense, millenials are pushing for the state to take care of them from cradle to grave I read in a recent article, though I don't have it because I was on vacation and no means to post about it.. History repeats itself and always has. the government has always desired to be the parent to all kids. its disgusting. the government can't even put a balanced budget up the last 8 years, can't run its health care without failing and yet we're expected to believe that the government, yet again, can do it better. 

let parents, be parents.

• Like 1

Last I checked you don't just hope that nothing bad happens to your kids.  And it starts by not putting them in a situation where something can happen.  This is a far cry from fear mongering.

Edit - and I will agree with you on your 2nd post.  I know as a kid I did a ton of stuff that I would never let me kids do at the same age.  Kidnapping and everything certainly took place back then but as you said now that the info is there it certainly changes my attitude.

Sure and judging from your ability to post here in a reasonable tone allows me to make an assumption, wrong or not, that you turned out fine. Perhaps (imo) for the better cause of the experiences you were given to have. I don't see what good comes from overzealous parents (and bystanders for that matter) who evaluate every single action as an exercise in security.

Don't get me wrong, there are obvious no-nos. Having a kid play in the road? Bad. Having a kid(s) sit in a food court (likely eating no less) while I've got line of sight from 30 ft away? Seriously...its fine. I understand the cops were responding to a call with unknown circumstances but they didn't use common sense after hearing the details. I still see the good in humanity so I just think it was a cop not clearly using deductive reasoning and the Judge clearly agrees with me.

nope , you don't lock them in. when they wake up ,you wake up (they WILL make sure of that) :) . You probably didn't have many young kids around ... It's not about removing danger allthogether , thchnically they can die falling out of bed. It's about minimising the chances. We are talking 2 and 6 years old. Maybe the preschooler can handle itself alone for a while. Sure as hell i wouldn't leave a 2 years old more than a few meters away from my reach in any other situation than on a properly baby-proofed ground. Ever since i was 5 i was actually free to roam romanian country side, no supervision (i used to be a redneck :D) , i do believe in giving children some headroom. But at 2 years you are not talking human children but more like a very fragile newborn chimp that is slowly learning to talk.

American police is indeed letting out a lot of these "bloopers" lately. I saw an episode of Last week Toninght about american cops heaving APCs and armored cars.Also a thing or 2 about Civil Asset Forfeiture being abused like hell. That police force neeeds a lot of fixing , these little overractions would be ... bloopers if they were the only problem. Scratch that. America kind of needs a fix of common sense alltogether .... I'm not wearing my pants too tight , but extreme "overs" and "unders" are probably part of western culture by now ... Visited a western country some time ago. Security cameras eye level EVERYWHER , even older relatives in the group who lived before '89 (fall of comunism here) here were not fully ok with that. Talking of kids , thoes were out of control too.

After such a patronizing response and your other remarks, I would definitely say you are wearing your pants way too tight.  And you haven't a clue to how many young children I've been around or raised.

• Like 1

She should have some kind of reward for been a responsible mother trying to get a job to raise her kids and not been dependable on welfare and government assistance.

Sure and judging from your ability to post here in a reasonable tone allows me to make an assumption, wrong or not, that you turned out fine. Perhaps (imo) for the better cause of the experiences you were given to have. I don't see what good comes from overzealous parents (and bystanders for that matter) who evaluate every single action as an exercise in security.

Don't get me wrong, there are obvious no-nos. Having a kid play in the road? Bad. Having a kid(s) sit in a food court (likely eating no less) while I've got line of sight from 30 ft away? Seriously...its fine. I understand the cops were responding to a call with unknown circumstances but they didn't use common sense after hearing the details. I still see the good in humanity so I just think it was a cop not clearly using deductive reasoning and the Judge clearly agrees with me.

Yes, as stated earlier I completely agree that the cops went overboard with the arrest.  I just wish we had more info on the situation because I do not believe that this mother had line of sight/30 ft away otherwise she would have seen the cops show up right away.  Instead the story is written that the mother did not return until after the interview (unless timing here was perfect).  Overall I don't think the mother did anything incredibly stupid with her kids safety but I still question her judgement (how often do you see a 6 and 2 year old alone in a mall).

Got to say, if the children were in such a distressed state that the police were called, I can't believe she was paying them much attention. Everybody who is shouting up, saying about what they did when they were 6... how about when you were 2? This woman left a 6 year old the responsibility of looking after a 2 year old. If they were inky 30 ft away, why did she have to "claim" her children later? Why didn't they just point to her and tell the police "that's my mother"?. Because this whole "30 ft away" is what this woman has claimed, and I imagine it was more like 30 metres away and obscured, otherwise she would have been able to communicate still. Any interviewer would have understood if you asked them to pause the interview for 2 minutes while you calmed your crying children, who would have been noisily disturbing the interview had it been only 30 feet away.

In my opinion, she was totally in the wrong. Also, she is obviously not being arrested for child abandonment, as that stipulates a period of 24 hours unsupervised. So yeah, her story is a twisty tale of hogwash, while she tries to downplay the fact that she left her children alone and is an irresponsible mother, possibly in the hopes that her arrest won't deter her new employer if it gets media attention.