HTC One M9 vs. Samsung Galaxy S6

I'm having a look purchasing one of them via my carrier (24 months interest free deal) - which one would you suggest? I'm leaning towards HTC One M9 because HTC Sync isn't horrible like Kies is on OS X, it has Sense which I enjoy using, and also has an sdcard expansion slot which is a bonus. That being said the financial situation with HTC isn't exactly confidence building and Samsung Galaxy S6 as well as Edge are pretty good looking but all reviews so far have been positive in terms of a big improvement in terms of performance, reliability but I'm still concerned with receiving regular updates not to mention having to deal with Kies for music sync but that might have changed since the days of the S4 and S5 which were my last foray into the Samsung ecosystem.

it really comes down to what YOU need

i am a happy s6 owner.    but i owned htc one (m7) before that for 2.5 years and i loved it.

the reason i got s6 was the new looks, and because i did not feel htc one was a big enough change.

(also a few personal pet peeves... but that is not important)

if you never owned htc one, and you like it, then go for it.

go use them both in a store!

financial situation with HTC isn't exactly confidence building

who gives a ######.     the financial situation of the company should have 0 effect on you decision.

you are planning to use the phone for what? 1-4 years?   it will not made any difference!      

just go with what you feel is a better product!

Syncing with Kies? You are thinking way way old school.

I have a few hundred songs that I sync with my wife's S6 and my OnePlus One over Wifi. It's simple, put your music on Dropbox / Grdrive, get a sync app like DropSync / DriveSync, Pro costs about $3. Choose the folders you want to sync (download and mirror) with your phone and vola.

You can also set the times it should sync, I have set mine to check 24 hours or manually. I have seen no extra ordinary battery usage, except when it first syncs.

To add, I will recommend S6 over M9, the camera on the S6 can not be compared to anything else, and I prefer having a good camera.

• Like 1

are there any specific features you like in the M9 vs S6?

Sense and the sdcard slot. I've since had a look at both again and decided to settle on the M9.

it really comes down to what YOU need

i am a happy s6 owner.    but i owned htc one (m7) before that for 2.5 years and i loved it.

the reason i got s6 was the new looks, and because i did not feel htc one was a big enough change.

(also a few personal pet peeves... but that is not important)

if you never owned htc one, and you like it, then go for it.

go use them both in a store!

who gives a ######.     the financial situation of the company should have 0 effect on you decision.

you are planning to use the phone for what? 1-4 years?   it will not made any difference!      

just go with what you feel is a better product!

The financial situation is important if you want long term support - if a company is in financial direstraits then there is a chance that as part of cost cutting they'll go back on providing regular updates for customers - that is why the financial viability of a business is important for an end user.

Syncing with Kies? You are thinking way way old school.

I have a few hundred songs that I sync with my wife's S6 and my OnePlus One over Wifi. It's simple, put your music on Dropbox / Grdrive, get a sync app like DropSync / DriveSync, Pro costs about $3. Choose the folders you want to sync (download and mirror) with your phone and vola.

You can also set the times it should sync, I have set mine to check 24 hours or manually. I have seen no extra ordinary battery usage, except when it first syncs.

To add, I will recommend S6 over M9, the camera on the S6 can not be compared to anything else, and I prefer having a good camera.

The problem is that my internet connection is pretty average and I have around 200gb of music and my tastes change on a regular basis - HTC Sync isn't too bad and does what needs to be done with minimum fuss and bother.

In many ways the M9 is worse than the M8.  The SoC, the screen and battery life are the first things to come to mind.  I'd read reviews and watch some comparison vids to see which suits you better.  I'm not saying go for the S6, but make an informed decision.

• Like 1

The Galaxy S6 and One M9 both make improvements over last year's model. If we compare closely, then Samsung Phone's update is more important and generally far more successful. The fingerprint scanner, the screen, the design and even the camera have all been improved significantly. HTC has not made as many changes to the One M9, and not every change is quite as dramatic or successful as we

• Like 1

The Galaxy S6 and One M9 both make improvements over last year's model.

False.

http://anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1

http://anandtech.com/show/9137/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-2

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-review-1230.php

There's two reviews.  You should read them.  There's TONS more on Youtube and other sites that state the same thing.  In many ways, it's worse than the M8. 

Just an update, I went for the HTC One M9 primarily because the software on the Samsung is just so eye wateringly bad (both the Android included, their after market support (or their lack of) and support for their sync client on OS X) - and no, I'm not going to install a custom ROM to make up for Samsung not being able to do their job properly particularly when it comes to synchronising with my computer (Kies is just plain horrible on OS X and I heard it isn't much better on Windows either). Sorry to sound snarky but that is just the way I feel having given the Galaxy a go with the latest software installed.

Keep in mind when you look at those reviews that the HTC One M9 has had two large Android updates along with numerous updates through the Google Play Store so linking to a review from three months ago would be like me looking at an S6 and ignoring all the updates that it has received as well not to mention that many of those reviews were based on pre-release models received at the mobile conference. I've put a 128GB microsd card in there, updated all the software and everything is going well so far, the battery life is great, the HTC Sync Manager is no better or worse than iTunes (although I am looking at Syncmate 6 since it is a more native OS X solution) - so far I'm pretty happy with my choice. Looking forward to seeing Android M come to the M9 in the next few months once it is released.

• Like 1