Windows 10 Connect to Network Issue

Hello everyone.

I feel utterly ridiculous posting this, but have been unable to connect to my existing network from my VM running the preview of Windows 10.  I have never had a similar issue with any build of Windows, but can't seem to do so in Windows 10.

I have an existing network and server that I would like to connect to.  I am connected to the router and internet.  No issues.  I cannot however browse to the server or any other computers on the network.  Cannot view or see the network itself, and don't seem to have an option to connect to an existing network...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need to test out some software before the upcoming rollout.  I did look online, but didn't find anything that resolved this issue.

Thanks Again,

What is it you can not do exactly?

"Cannot view or see the network itself"

Yet you state you can use the internet - so your ON THE NETWORK!!  If you have an IP address and can ping your gateway, or any other IP on that network - then your ON It..

What is the output of ipconfig /all from this machine.

What is not working - access to some file share on another machine.  How are you trying to access it?  via name \\computer name?  IP \\ipaddress ?  Do you get an error..  Can you PING this IP from cmd prompt on this machine?

Browsing some browselist? Of other devices on the same workgroup or other workgroups your machine can discover has really nothing to do with being on the network.. If you have an IP, did you set it static or get it from dhcp server?  If you got it from dhcp then that is validation that your on the network..  All your other issues comes down to understanding what it is you can or can not do to try and solve the issue.

What are you running this VM on?  Is it on a connection that is bridged to your physical network or NATed?  Did you connect it to host only?  A ipconfig /all from this vm would be very helpful..  Along with ipconfig /all from the machine that is hosting the VM?  Is it xen, hyper-v, esxi, vmware workstation?  Fusion? what?

Thank you very much for your response and help.  I am using VirtualBox.

In the attached picture, there is a selection to "Connect to a network".  This doesn't actually do anything, so it appears to be a dead link.

While I am connected to the router and as a result, the internet, I cannot connect to any of the other computers on the network (i.e. the server).

I am able to ping the server by IP Address, but cannot browse to or log in to the server.  So I realize that I am connected to the router, the internet, and that the server is there, and I understand that Windows 10 is still technically a Preview...  Without browsing to and having the ability to connect / log in to the server, I won't be able to access the database and resources needed by the software I want to test.

I have never had an issue doing so with any prior release of Windows (Including Previews), but I don't recall ever having dead links.

The Server's ipconfig /all specifies the following

ip - 192.168.1.13

subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

default gateway - 192.168.1.1

Windows 10 VM's ipconfig /all specifies

ip - 10.0.2.15

I did try to change the ip address on the VM, as I know this can cause issues, but it doesn't appear to honor these changes.

Windows 10 VM's ipconfig /all specifies
ip - 10.0.2.15

Well this is WRONG, you can not have a gateway that is not on your network..

And I don't see any picture.  Where did you get the IP of 10.0.2.15?

As to pinging the IP of the server?  Your server 192.168.1.13 is not on the same network as 10.0.2.15 -- where did this address come from.. Did you set it?

Not sure the build number really matters.. Other than that one build that had issues with changing properties on nic so you could change from dhcp to static for example I have not had any issues with basic networking with any of them.

And that is sure and the hell not the full output of /all - or I would of been able to tell if you got that via dhcp or not.. I am running 10240 in a VM (esxi) and removed the isatap and teredo interfaces and unchecked ipv6 because don't want/need it for my current testing.

post-14624-0-83426300-1437508199.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't been able to log in and now seem to be having issues posting.  Not sure what's going on with Neowin's forums...

I was able to isolate the issue.  While the Network Adapter was set correctly in VirtualBox (Or was at least reporting as such), it wasn't working right.  I think something happened during a recent update.  I reset the network adapter and now it works.

Thanks for the help.