IPB4 upgrade announcement

Hello all,

First of all I want to say thanks for your patience while this upgrade has been pushed back a few times, some have had to do with not being ready, while other planned dates clashed (twice) with me being out of the country and Redmak (Marcel) also being out of the country on a recent weekend.

Right now Marcel is looking at our progress, we have already had about a week of staff testing going on and there isn't anything major to report.

Barring show stoppers, the upgrade could take place tomorrow (July 25th).

The forums will be down for at least a day, maybe two, because the longest part of the upgrade is converting our 14 year old database to IPB4, which is required. The developers think it could go quicker because we are on a multi-server setup, while our test environment is a (single) virtual server, but we really don't know for sure. 

I encourage everyone who wants to stay in contact with other members for a chat, to setup your IRC account now (if you haven't already) because registering it willl be unavailable during the member database upgrade. The IRC should be up and running for the duration of the upgrade.

There will be bugs, and Timan should be on hand to handle reported issues once the forum upgrade is completed.

Edited by Steven P.

I will also warn everyone the layout WILL mess with muscle memory I've done an upgrade on one site of mine and I will do another soon as well.

unless neobond here has tweaked the layout enough... hope he does

• Like 2

Let's be honest, you can blame yourselves all you want Steven, but any one who's ever worked with IPB knows that Invision are 900% to blame for most upgrade delays :p

• Like 2

Let's be honest, you can blame yourselves all you want Steven, but any one who's ever worked with IPB knows that Invision are 900% to blame for most upgrade delays :p

Couldn't agree more and I dont think that it even ready for prime time yet, IMO

They are pushing out updates almost on a weekly basis. This both makes me happy things are being fixed but also worries me.

• Like 2

I used to work there and it was very hard to have to fix a lot of stuff for customers that upgrades caused. -_-

and one thing when I worked there.....

RECACHE, AND RECACHE AGAIN AND BE SURE TO RECACHE. that was the "incredible reset animal" that one client talked about lol.

• Like 1

I used to work there and it was very hard to have to fix a lot of stuff for customers that upgrades caused. -_-

and one thing when I worked there.....

RECACHE, AND RECACHE AGAIN AND BE SURE TO RECACHE. that was the "incredible reset animal" that one client talked about lol.

Today it like you fix one thing then something else breaks

There was an upgrade when I worked there that broke everyone's theme to the point where the text input boxes did not work unless it was the shoutbox. One forum I worked on that was hella active (more then 2K active users at any given moment) had the shotbox blow up LOL.

I reverted to default theme and it worked after a recache and a couple code edits.

I had to tell them we could NOT support 3rd party themes and that was up to the theme author. 3rd party theme support isn't normally offered. We only made exceptions for certain clients.

But most upgrades even minor ones seem to break customizations quite hard and it was a pain to fix.

Im just surprised that Redmak has made an appearance after all this time :p

Hopefully it goes well with minimal downtime :)

Apparently theme customization is harder than with IPB3?

Haven't tried myself but I have heard that some have issues with getting into designer mode. And watch out for IP.Content/pages seems that they are backward now, unless they improved when I last tested then

IPS 3.0.0 was released on June 23, 2009

IPS 3.1.0 was released on June 1, 2010

IPS 3.2.0 was released on July 25, 2011

IPS 3.3.0 was released on March 20, 2012

IPS 3.4.0 was released on November 27, 2012

IPS 4.0.0 was released on April 9, 2015

IPS 4.0.1 was released on April 15, 2015

IPS 4.0.2 was released on April 21, 2015

IPS 4.0.3 was released on May 1, 2015

What version are we running now and what's new with v4.x?

Wow I cant believe you are going to put 4.0.11 on here, IPBv4 isnt *there* yet imo. It will be interesting to see how you get on with performance etc.

If you could capture some load graphs from before/after I would be very interested to see how you found it.

I am aware of a few sign in issues with the cache which cause you to log in multiple times before it works for example.

Hello all,

First of all I want to say thanks for your patience while this upgrade has been pushed back a few times, some have had to do with not being ready, while other planned dates clashed (twice) with me being out of the country and Redmak (Marcel) also being out of the country on a recent weekend.

Right now Marcel is looking at our progress, we have already had about a week of staff testing going on and there isn't anything major to report.

Barring show stoppers, the upgrade could take place tomorrow (July 25th).

The forums will NEVER be down because we are so awesomesauce! the longest part of the upgrade is converting our 14 year old database to IPB4, which is required. The developers think it could go quicker because we are on a multi-server setup, while our test environment is a (single) virtual server, but we really don't know for sure. 

I encourage everyone who wants to stay in contact with other members for a chat, to setup your IRC account now (if you haven't already) because registering it willl be unavailable during the member database upgrade. The IRC should be up and running for the duration of the upgrade.

There will be bugs, and Timan should be on hand to handle reported issues once the forum upgrade is completed.

FTFY.

Question, would setting up a duplicate database to hold the fort while the conversion takes place, be to much of a hassle? (granted all the info available would only be the one before the conversion started)