Windows 10 and Asus Sound card drivers - quick fix

So after upgrading to Windows 10 it appeared everything worked great (to my surprise). But I found out that my Asus Xonar D2 drivers were completely out of date. The menus in the control panel for the card were all blank and none of the buttons for it would work such as the volume slider and other sound settings.

Looking around the internet the only thing I initially found to help was to install the Windows 8.1 drivers but Windows wouldn't let me do that.

So I dug further and I found a custom made driver here:

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The installation was pretty easy, probably completed more quickly than an official driver install and following a quick reboot it looks like everything is working as it should.

Maybe this is common knowledge, I don't know. But it was new and this was something I really hadn't considered when upgrading to Windows 10.

There aren't any beta version of any drivers for Windows 10 as far as I can tell so this is probably the best we're gonna get for a long time.

I don't know how popular Asus sound cards are and how many people have them here so I don't know if anyone even cares but I hope it may help some one in the near future. :laugh:

Edited by trag3dy

Thanks, Tragedy.  Yeah, I've been using those drivers for my Xonar Essence STX card for the last several months.  Works great.  I really wish Asus would get their butts in gear with drivers.  Heck, on their site, the Windows 8.1 driver for this card is still in Beta!!  

This is one of the reasons I gave up on using an ASUS sound card some time ago. That, and the HORRIBLE ASIO driver. I'm glad I replaced it with several DACs, including the Schiit DAC I'm using right now... which got Windows 10 drivers yesterday.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on using an ASUS sound card some time ago. That, and the HORRIBLE ASIO driver. I'm glad I replaced it with several DACs, including the Schiit DAC I'm using right now... which got Windows 10 drivers yesterday.

I know; the ASIO driver's problems I had on my old CPU/Mobo I attributed to a slow processor.  But the same jittering and stuttering exists on my new quad-core i5!  Otherwise, the card works great with WASAPI on JRiver Media Center.

Otherwise, the card works great with WASAPI on JRiver Media Center.

That it does, but I wanted to use ASIO and it low latency, which I couldn't use with the ASUS sound card. The Schiit USB DAC with JRiver Media Center works pretty well when using ASIO, even with 4 ms latency. :D