AMD GPU issues on Windows 10

Hehe Asus.... in your dreams ; )

Try this.

Once AMD from WU is installed .. uninstall CCC only.

Also make sure to remove C:\AMD as it houses a *.bat file which runs on every start forcing CCC to reinstall.

The reason I am asking this from you is simple.

You receive the backlight issue after you see the login screen for a tiny second. This means that during the boot process, CCC or a part of the AMD driver loaded and is preventing the backlight from working.

So either CCC is at fault or the driver itself.

Try to find out!

Edited by FunkyMike

You receive the backlight issue after you see the login screen for a tiny second.

Well, no. I don't even see the login screen. Backlight's already off by then. Drivers installed once again, removed CCC, got rid of C:\AMD, same result. So I'd assume it's not caused by CCC but the drivers instead.

generally with laptops, you want to use the OEM provided drivers, specifically for graphics cards (i think both AMD and nVidia will pop up with a notification saying this if it detects a mobile card). I would check the model on HP's website and see if they have new, updated, drivers for your graphics card.

That is really bad advice for several OEMs IMO...I've seen them offer graphics drivers several years old even when considering the age of the laptop where the current AMD ones install and work fine.

I think Intel is similar except for old chipsets and Atom.  Can't speak for NV.

Edited by randomevent

If Windows 10 thinks your card is a 74xx series then that's your problem. You need to download the correct driver from AMD.

The W10 AMD and Windows Update driver for the 6470M seem to be identical (the 7400?), so it doesn't make a difference.

Well, no. I don't even see the login screen. Backlight's already off by then. Drivers installed once again, removed CCC, got rid of C:\AMD, same result. So I'd assume it's not caused by CCC but the drivers instead.

In this case you will need to try one of my modded Intel drivers that redirect the internal video passthrough. It was initially made for fixed switching with a patch to restore backlight upon LVDS switching.

Clean with DDU in Safe Mode.

Install an Intel (Modern) driver from the UnifL 14.4 2.2 package

then

Install either the latest official AMD driver from AMD or from WU.

Options?

This has something got to do with the wrong installation of my Application Unlock (the files I sent you). Essentially I prefer bundling it with our UnifL releases as less mistakes are bound to happen.

Are you sure you applied the files properly and into the right directory?

Note that the directory of CCC  (mentioned in the readme text file) changes depending on if you are using WindowsUpdate AMD drivers (CCC2) vs Official AMD drivers.

This fix is made for the WU version.

You have to make sure to delete the *.bat file (in C:\AMD) 

then kill CCC.exe via taskmanager and overwrite the files. (or overwrite them in safe mode - easier)

Otherwise it looks like a fully working driver. 

You just need to fix this.

The W10 AMD and Windows Update driver for the 6470M seem to be identical (the 7400?), so it doesn't make a difference.

Indeed. The 6470M and 7400M  is the same card. The later is a rebrand and the driver cares not for being precise with names. 

Edited by FunkyMike

This has something got to do with the wrong installation of my Application Unlock (the files I sent you). Essentially I prefer bundling it with our UnifL releases as less mistakes are bound to happen.

Are you sure you applied the files properly and into the right directory?

Note that the directory of CCC  (mentioned in the readme text file) changes depending on if you are using WindowsUpdate AMD drivers (CCC2) vs Official AMD drivers.

This fix is made for the WU version.

You have to make sure to delete the *.bat file (in C:\AMD) 

then kill CCC.exe via taskmanager and overwrite the files. (or overwrite them in safe mode - easier)

Otherwise it looks like a fully working driver. 

You just need to fix this.

I did everything like you said. The options are there before applying the patch, but not after. 

I can use my computer, I'm not in need of something like that. I just want the AMD driver to work properly, it would make it better to run games, as I'm playing ROcket League with all the minimum settings and still only get around 30 FPS. I tried yesterday with AMD and it was over 50. But now I can't even set the game to open with the AMD card, since that option is gone from Catalyst Control Center.

And even if I could do it, this would happen.

Whenever I open or close an application that is set to run on the AMD GPU, the computer freezes for a few seconds, and only then moves on. Using the application feels normal and fine, except when opening and closing them. 

I can use my computer, I'm not in need of something like that. I just want the AMD driver to work properly, it would make it better to run games, as I'm playing ROcket League with all the minimum settings and still only get around 30 FPS. I tried yesterday with AMD and it was over 50. But now I can't even set the game to open with the AMD card, since that option is gone from Catalyst Control Center.

Reinstall CCC and send me those original 3 files via PM .. I will mod them and return them.

That way we will make sure that I am patching the same version.

Holy shiitake. I tried like 10-15 different drivers yesterday and today. I just tried the umpteenth driver. I thought the backlight was going to shut down again. But after installing VGA_AMD_Win8_64_VER900300000.zip , although I haven't restarted yet, the backlight seems to stay on. HOORAY!

What is AMD (and Windows Update) doing that their official W10 drivers are failing for the 6470M, but old W8 drivers work just fine? Strange.
In any case, I now have my glorious widescreen 1366x768 desktop working again. I would appreciate if someone involved with driver creation could check if there's something special about this driver release to hopefully incorporate a fix for other 6470M+I3000 users.

Edit: Device Manager lists its as a "AMD Radeon HD 7470M" (25-10-2012 9.3.0.0). CCC doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by rctgamer3

Holy shiitake. I tried like 10-15 different drivers yesterday and today. I just tried the umpteenth driver. I thought the backlight was going to shut down again. But after installing VGA_AMD_Win8_64_VER900300000.zip , although I haven't restarted yet, the backlight seems to stay on. HOORAY!

What is AMD (and Windows Update) doing that their official W10 drivers are failing for the 6470M, but old W8 drivers work just fine? Strange.
In any case, I now have my glorious widescreen 1366x768 desktop working again. I would appreciate if someone involved with driver creation could check if there's something special about this driver release to hopefully incorporate a fix for other 6470M+I3000 users.

It is most likely down to a simple dword.

I had a brief look at the inf but nothing stood out at first glance.

Use a registry snapshot tool to create a "snapshot" of a working config (VGA_AMD_Win8_64_VER900300000.zip)

and a non working (newest WU driver) - compare snapshots to find the odd dword.

Check your PM for a tool.

A quick fix could be disabling one of your graphic adapters in device manager.

Many would wish for it to work like that but that isn't quite the way PXAI devices work.

There are some older fixed switching based devices for whom this method works on a BIOS level since a MUX chip exists within the laptop.

Newer "non MUX" chip laptops have to route the AMD signal through Intel to the displays... so turning it off is not an option.

There is a fringe method but it includes modding the BIOS.

Edited by FunkyMike

That is really bad advice for several OEMs IMO...I've seen them offer graphics drivers several years old even when considering the age of the laptop where the current AMD ones install and work fine.

I think Intel is similar except for old chipsets and Atom.  Can't speak for NV.

Except some OEMs work with nvidia or amd to create a specialized version for their laptops. Have you never seen the nvidia warning stating to visit your OEMs website because some functions may not work with our standard driver? I know I have. Its actually not bad advice because those drivers from the OEM are tailored to your device.

Except some OEMs work with nvidia or amd to create a specialized version for their laptops. Have you never seen the nvidia warning stating to visit your OEMs website because some functions may not work with our standard driver? I know I have. Its actually not bad advice because those drivers from the OEM are tailored to your device.

I don't remember the last time I saw that warning.  I've installed the latest drivers on every AMD laptop I've owned, and the only ones that had any trouble are old switchable graphics ones.

If you want to play the latest games, the OEM drivers are a very poor choice.

Edited by randomevent

Any luck with removing those delays?

You should find a way to restore your old account Indo!

It has been havoc over on leshcatlabs.net and guru3d.

PXAI users are having way too many issues.

Screenshot (154).png

Hello,my laptop is also AMD 6470m and hd3000, and  I updated to win10,and install latest drives. The version of AMD drive I installed was 15.7,but I didn't get those options.What should I do?

Hi,my laptop is hp g4 with 6470m and hd3000. I updated to windows10 and installed amd driver 15.7.7,but I only got those options.Is there any solution for this, or I can only go back to win7.

amd.PNG

Hi,my laptop is hp g4 with 6470m and hd3000. I updated to windows10 and installed amd driver 15.7.7,but I only got those options.Is there any solution for this, or I can only go back to win7.

amd.PNG

15.7.1 ?

How did the WU driver fare?

Uninstall all the drivers using DDU, then let Windows Update install the drivers. Wait for Catalyst Control Center t be installed, it might take a few minutes.