"Settings" versus "Control Panel": Which done do you prefer?

Windows 10 has the new "Settings" which is much improved from PC Settings in Windows 8. And of cause, "Control Panel" has been around since Windows 2.0.

Which one do you prefer?

maybe you should have posted that in Polls? 

for me it is good old control panel.  settings seems incomplete as is.  maybe better then win8, but i am not completely sold.

settings seems incomplete as is.  maybe better then win8, but i am not completely sold.

I am guessing that "Settings" is designed for non-tech-savvy people who just happens to be a very large majority.

Mostly prefer the new one but needs a bit of tweaking still, never mind filling in the blanks as it's not 100% all there yet.  There's also the issue of legacy applets, for example Java, some devices add their own, etc.

to be honest, the "very large majority of non tech savvy people"   usually don't like change. 

nor, do they need to change a lot of system settings.     office and internet and skype are usually the only things they need

and the settings they changed were easily accessible in control panel, since they always done it this way.

simplifying the place to change advanced settings seem pointless.  most of them will be setup ONCE.  then never to be touched again, for the vast majority of people.

simple wifi access is useful, other things, not so much.  control panel was more then fine, and seed almost complete.

I like the idea of having a unified settings panel, and it does feel more coherent than the "pc settings" panel in Windows 8. It'll take some re-familiarisation for some people but I feel that in the long run it will be a neater option than using the older control panel. Though I find it strange that they have designed it so that to change some settings (advanced power settings springs immediately to mind) you have to go from the new settings panel to the old control panel. That makes the OS feel a bit incoherent. Hopefully they'll keep working on the new settings panel so that it makes the old control panel completely unnecessary.

• Like 2

Windows 10 has the new "Settings" which is much improved from PC Settings in Windows 8. And of cause, "Control Panel" has been around since Windows 2.0.

Which one do you prefer?

Well i think the new settings panel is okay well but it is incomplete right now and has to many level deep of options. Too often i need to fall back to the old control panel to reach some options.

I prefer Settings myself, but only if everything was included in Settings. Right now many options in Settings open the old Control Panel. Settings is fine, just very, very incomplete. Windows 10 has the distinct feeling of being still "under construction" like websites of the 90s.

I like the idea of having a unified settings panel, and it does feel more coherent than the "pc settings" panel in Windows 8. It'll take some re-familiarisation for some people but I feel that in the long run it will be a neater option than using the older control panel. Though I find it strange that they have designed it so that to change some settings (advanced power settings springs immediately to mind) you have to go from the new settings panel to the old control panel. That makes the OS feel a bit incoherent. Hopefully they'll keep working on the new settings panel so that it makes the old control panel completely unnecessary.

I think it would be foolish to cram every single options from the Control Panel into Settings.

A more realistic and worthy goal is to make most options non-seavv users might use accessible from Settings while keeping Control Panel for more advance users.

to be honest, the "very large majority of non tech savvy people"   usually don't like change. 

nor, do they need to change a lot of system settings.     office and internet and skype are usually the only things they need

and the settings they changed were easily accessible in control panel, since they always done it this way.

simplifying the place to change advanced settings seem pointless.  most of them will be setup ONCE.  then never to be touched again, for the vast majority of people.

simple wifi access is useful, other things, not so much.  control panel was more then fine, and seed almost complete.

The Control Panel is like a maze. People have to memorize where the options since they are not easy to find.

Well i think the new settings panel is okay well but it is incomplete right now and has to many level deep of options. Too often i need to fall back to the old control panel to reach some options.

Well, I have to wonder that if all the advance options from the Control Panel were added to Settings, Settings might bee just as convoluted as Control Panel is now.

I prefer Settings myself, but only if everything was included in Settings. Right now many options in Settings open the old Control Panel. Settings is fine, just very, very incomplete. Windows 10 has the distinct feeling of being still "under construction" like websites of the 90s.

Like I said above, if all the options from Control Panel were added in Settings, Settings might be as convoluted as Control Panel is right now.

Edited by illegaloperation

I like the Control Panel - old fashioned. The new Settings app looks great, but that's about it. It's a mess to find all the "advanced" settings.

I think the OS became too over-simplified in some regards, and it feels like a step backwards, due to them trying to unify W10 for desktop and mobile. The Settings app is a great example of this, and also the new Calculator. It visually looks great, but why the hell is there a loading screen for a calculator?

It's fine for non-tech people. Not everything is in it just yet, so not really for power users.

That. I am not sure why grandma would be using BitLocker Drive Encryption for example.

I am also not entirely convinced that all the options from the Control Panel needs to be migrated to Settings.

I will be patient with win10 - but so many things need to change/be improved - the Settings adaptation of control panel is one of them.

Still using control panel

Oh...and Im so glad I spent $1000 on a fancy monitor - so I could see such vivid black and white crap - thanks MS

I'm quite tech savvy, and I really like the Settings app. It makes adjusting common (and even some uncommon) settings very quick and easy, and it's better organized than the control panel imho.

The control panel is still essential, as not all settings are available in the settings app, yet. However, once the Settings app inevitably becomes comprehensive, I'll rarely use the control panel.

Like I said above, if all the options from Control Panel were added in Settings, Settings might be as convoluted as Control Panel is right now.

Maybe. Depends on how well the Settings are designed. The convolution of the Control Panel is mostly just because it was constantly added to and patched without much thought. Either way the Control Panel is clearly on the way out. The seeds were sown in Windows 8 and now the new Settings are coming to their own. I like it.

I don't mind the Settings window, it's UI clunkyness aside. It would also be great to have a unified settings/control panel finally after the mess that was Windows 8 Settings.

However - I don't think the modern Settings window will not scale to the more complicated UI's like the Administration Tools. These have too many windows, buttons, lists and so forth, and trying to force them into a modern app will make them highly counter intuitive.

I don't mind the Settings window, it's UI clunkyness aside. It would also be great to have a unified settings/control panel finally after the mess that was Windows 8 Settings.

However - I don't think the modern Settings window will not scale to the more complicated UI's like the Administration Tools. These have too many windows, buttons, lists and so forth, and trying to force them into a modern app will make them highly counter intuitive.

I don't agree, lots of these popup dialog boxes that have been around scattered in Windows since 95 need to go.  I mean why are the taskbar settings in their own dialog window?  Why are other things in their own windows for that matter?   Everything should be in the settings app, with the really advanced things maybe tossing up a new window if they have to (because the settings app, at least in this version is a bit limited).   I think things like Administrator tools aren't a issue if they become new modern apps, they've always been apps and not as much a part of control panel to begin with.   But take for example the Services tool,  that can be added to the settings app, it's nothing that advanced, it's just a list of services, who they're from and with the option to enable, disable or set to manual, it's doable with much fuss IMO.

Another tool is device manager, again, it's just a list of your hardware, you can just as well have that list displayed in the Settings app to, with options to check for driver updates and to either enable or disable/uninstall something, also fits just fine in the Settings app.   Some of the other things would have to stay as apps, but that's not an issue in the end, as long as they're updated and have nice new UIs, not like Event Viewer for example.

• Like 2

I don't agree, lots of these popup dialog boxes that have been around scattered in Windows since 95 need to go.

Definitely agree there.

I thought it would bother me - Control Panel certainly puts more stuff on the screen. But I've found myself just searching for one setting more intuitive, even though I know the CP tree. So in the end, I use neither system.

I don't have a problem with the new settings, even though it looks kinda horrible, I just wish it had, you know, all the settings in it (or at least shortcuts to those missing). Hope they add more and more stuff from the control panel into the settings in the next few months

I prefer the control panel but am getting familiar with settings. I would like to see control panel organized a bit better and to put "most used items" in settings for a quick access. From what I read, it appears control panel may be on it's way out.......hope not...but I'll adapt.

I don't agree, lots of these popup dialog boxes that have been around scattered in Windows since 95 need to go.  I mean why are the taskbar settings in their own dialog window?  Why are other things in their own windows for that matter?   Everything should be in the settings app, with the really advanced things maybe tossing up a new window if they have to (because the settings app, at least in this version is a bit limited).   I think things like Administrator tools aren't a issue if they become new modern apps, they've always been apps and not as much a part of control panel to begin with.   But take for example the Services tool,  that can be added to the settings app, it's nothing that advanced, it's just a list of services, who they're from and with the option to enable, disable or set to manual, it's doable with much fuss IMO.

Another tool is device manager, again, it's just a list of your hardware, you can just as well have that list displayed in the Settings app to, with options to check for driver updates and to either enable or disable/uninstall something, also fits just fine in the Settings app.   Some of the other things would have to stay as apps, but that's not an issue in the end, as long as they're updated and have nice new UIs, not like Event Viewer for example.

I have no problems with the normal settings dialogs & windows changing over - as I said, I don't mind the new Settings app.

But look at the Event Viewer, Hyper-V Manager, Performance Monitor, Firewall Advanced Security, Computer Management.... trying to move these apps into a Modern UI and not losing the functionality would be very difficult. I like Microsoft tools, and I do like 10, I think it's a great system - but Modern UI's won't be the best solution for everything.

You mentioned the Services tool not being hard to move, and sure - it probably wouldn't. But look at the mess that is the Apps screen in Settings VS the old Programs window in the Control Panel. Sorting using dropdowns, having to click items to get more info about them. It's not a good solution. The user interface needs to catch up a bit more, right now it's not as flexible as Win32/NET framework UI's were.

the entire settings/control panel situation in windows 10 is very disappointing. There's several big issues:

1. There shouldn't be two control panels at all, they should have been fully unified by now. I understood in windows 8 since that was the first release where they started introducing the new settings, but in windows 10 it's just as fragmented as ever (if not more so).

2. Settings is pretty rough and not nearly on par with the old control panel yet, it looks like it was thrown together in a weekend.

Control Panel will be going away before long anyways.

How can this happen and still have support for legacy applications?  Unless they're going to do away with compatibility, the closest you're going to get to its removal will be them renaming it to "legacy control panel". 

It's going to be around longer than you think. 

Edited by AR556