Windows 10 Latest Hot Fixes - ATI HD 4800 1600x1200 was 1920x1200

Just updated the latest hot patch for Windows 10. After downloading and installing my ATI HD 4800 Video card that was setting at 1920x1200 can now only go to 1600x1200

I reset the image back to previous day and completed the update again with the same results.

I'm using the default display drivers that Windows came with. Tried the ATI drivers but same result.

Anyone else having these problems?

For whatever reason I had to roll back the display driver dated 7.15.2015 to 1.13.2015 and now my preferred display setting of 1920x1200 is back.

Looks like Microsoft attempt to fix some ATI problems didn't go so well...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I'm fairly technical but not enough to know how to roll back the display driver to a specific date. Could you please give me a clue? thanks

I have the same problem. I'm fairly technical but not enough to know how to roll back the display driver to a specific date. Could you please give me a clue? thanks

Device manager > Display Adapters > Right-click the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series > Properties > Driver tab > Roll Back Driver

It will roll it back to the previous version. The below is the one that works...

2015-08-18_20-22-10.thumb.png.16652a9033

I had to HIDE the windows update that included Microsoft's latest ATI driver release which came in a hot patch. I'm unsure which one it was. 

Thanks - simple enough once you know where to look. But my file is dated June 2006 so I don't think that's the problem! And I checked for updates with the response that I already had the most up-to-date version. Which raises the question - what else can Windows 10 have done to lose the 1920x1200 setting?

Thanks - simple enough once you know where to look. But my file is dated June 2006 so I don't think that's the problem! And I checked for updates with the response that I already had the most up-to-date version. Which raises the question - what else can Windows 10 have done to lose the 1920x1200 setting?

I just had to do it again with this latest Insider update and I had to use the 'Update Driver' button and than search local drive. It listed the driver dated 1/13/2015, and I picked that one.

The latest Cumulative Update nuked my video card driver. And it's the second time an update messed things up for me. Uninstalling and reinstalling it didn't work. I was only able to fix it by restoring to an earlier point with System Restore.

The latest Cumulative Update nuked my video card driver. And it's the second time an update messed things up for me. Uninstalling and reinstalling it didn't work. I was only able to fix it by restoring to an earlier point with System Restore.

All you need to do is either use the 'Roll Back' or the 'Update Driver' button

2015-08-20_8-17-25.thumb.png.b68abb834ee

The 'Roll Back Driver' button may be ghosted out, and it that is so then you need to use the 'Update Driver...' button and select 'Browse my computer for driver software', and pick the oldest driver from the list. 

2015-08-20_8-17-59.thumb.png.73aa782e3ec

You will have to do this every time Microsoft pushes out a new insiders update, or a Cumulative Update. Not sure how to lock it where it keeps the video driver from being updated.

All you need to do is either use the 'Roll Back' or the 'Update Driver' button

2015-08-20_8-17-25.thumb.png.b68abb834ee

The 'Roll Back Driver' button may be ghosted out, and it that is so then you need to use the 'Update Driver...' button and select 'Browse my computer for driver software', and pick the oldest driver from the list. 

2015-08-20_8-17-59.thumb.png.73aa782e3ec

You will have to do this every time Microsoft pushes out a new insiders update, or a Cumulative Update. Not sure how to lock it where it keeps the video driver from being updated.

That's odd. What was Microsoft thinking when they made Windows Update override currently-installed drivers? My goodness... I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate this. I told myself that if it happens again, I'll go back to Windows 8.1 until this issue is resolved.

Anyway, how do I know which one is the oldest one?

p7nR3jr.png

I assume it's the one above "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Squickly said:
9 hours ago, Squickly said:

Hello. I have ATI Radeon HD 4800 series graphic card... am I able to install and use Win10? Are drivers for this card available for win10? Thanks.

Hello. I have ATI Radeon HD 4800 series graphic card... am I able to install and use Win10? Are drivers for this card available for win10? Thanks.

Yes it should work, I have installed Windows 10 with an ATi Radeon Pro x1950 in the past! If the updates aren't automatically installed with Windows update, you could just download the Windows 8 ones.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:50 AM, Squickly said:

So the Windows 8 drivers of my card will work for 10 aswell, they will be compatible?

believe Windows 10 will croak if it finds the Catalyst software installed when updating.

The below is what was installed by default when I preformed a fresh install of Windows 10.

2016-02-11_10-39-57.thumb.png.377f896560