Church opens gun range ministry ‘in the name of Jesus Christ’

JEMISON, Ala. (WIAT) – What started out as an overgrown gully behind the Rocky Mount United Methodist Church has turned into a ministry, complete with guns, bullets and the Bible.

Pastor Phillip Guin says the gully, once full of kudzu, snakes and other vermin, had been there since before he arrived at the church. Much of the dirt used as fill was from a recent expansion.

When brainstorming about what to do with the area, the idea of a gun range came up.

“We had quite a number of church members, some elderly ladies, for example, and some not so elderly women that had purchased guns, but didn’t know how to use them,” Guin said.

Originally, the range was used to teach firearm safety. But about a year ago, that changed. The thought of a ministry started becoming more and more clear.

Guin says there are many in the congregation who either hunt or are gun enthusiasts. The safety training morphed into the Rocky Mount Hunt and Gun Club as a way to try and bring more members to the church.

“This is an opportunity for us to reach out in the name of Jesus Christ in a setting that is completely unique. Even odd by some people’s standards. But who’s to say that church can’t happen right here,” Guin said, pointing at the red clay dirt of the range.

So far, the club is comprised of church members. But there are prospective members contacting Guin and other church members regularly.

The range has also become a favorite of the Jemison Police Department. Deputy Chief Marc McMinn told us they train there on a regular basis and offer training courses to the public. Plans are in the works for another training course in October.

Source

A lot of churches are implementing concealed carry permitted policies, especially after recent attacks on religious facilities. Fact is, some district  courthouses also allow concealed carry - it's up to the chief judge. We can also carry, open or concealed,  in the Michigan State Capitol except for certain events. 

As to this place: their members were arming up so they started a safety program which evolved into a range. Hell, a great many social groups are doing gun/hunter/archery safety programs including local police departments, municipal governments and comunity colleges. Some municipalities have both firearms and archery ranges. Our 30+ meter archery range is in a city park about 75 meters from the playground. Fully barriered, of course.

What was Jesus choice of firearm again? It's been a long time since Bible study class for me...

A lot of churches are implementing concealed carry permitted policies, especially after recent attacks on religious facilities.

Curious, are the ones creating these concealed carry policies Muslim mosques and Black churches that are the main victims of these attacks or mostly white churches being scared by their fear mongering ministers?

"Praise the lord, and pass the ammunition!"

Jesus, if he truly existed, would be so ###### right now.

What was Jesus choice of firearm again? It's been a long time since Bible study class for me...

Its depends on which bible interpretation you look at it.
This one for example support the arming the citizens instead of relying on standing army for gun-wielding needs: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/714725/posts

Its depends on which bible interpretation you look at it.
This one for example support the arming the citizens instead of relying on standing army for gun-wielding needs: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/714725/posts

A random person's interpretation of various Biblical passages means little to me and besides... My God doesn't require me to decide on one of 1000's of translations of his word that was originally written in a language I can't read and that is set in a culture and times I can't relate to.

Curious, are the ones creating these concealed carry policies Muslim mosques and Black churches that are the main victims of these attacks or mostly white churches being scared by their fear mongering ministers?

You seem to be leaping to incorrect assumptions; that this is a white and Christian thing promoted  by conervatives.

In Michigan black ministers were a major driving force in getting concealed carry liberalized, and getting both Stand Your Ground and the Castle Doctrine laws passed and signed into law. This because blacks and their social institutions were by far usually the victims of criminal invasions and attacks. Almost universally these attacks were black-on-black crimes.

They were simply sick of being victimized by the gangstas and not having the legal right to fight back. Now they, and everyone else, can. Aggressively, and with no silly requirement to attempt a retreat first.

The governor and legislature at the time were Democrat controlled, the then governor being Jennifer Granholm - Obama's debate practice partner in 2008. They made the rules allowing churches, courts etc. to opt-in allowing carry.

Most houses of worship allowing carry are Christian, but that's because they're the largest religious presence. Pure demographics. That said, some of those allowing frearms are mainline or even what's considered 'liberal' churches. That  said, I know of mosques with no official guns allowed policy but a don't ask/don't tell practice. This appears to be rather common elsewhere.

You seem to be leaping to incorrect assumptions; that this is a white and Christian thing promoted  by conervatives.

Asking a question is now one leaping to incorrect assumptions? LOL

Actually, I was just curious how you would answer that... Yes, one can find examples of Black/liberal churches moving to concealed carry policies in some places but you are kidding yourself if don't recognize that is has been mainly a southern white church thing from the beginning. Funny how you went out of your way to mention Obama but is true he doesn't get enough credit. Every gun owner should have his portrait in their house as he been the President that has over seen the biggest increase in gun purchases and personal ownership in our history. All bankers should be hanging his portrait also but that is another story...

Edited by oldtimefighter

I only mentioned Obama in referencing Gov. Granholm for those who were unfamiliar with Her Lowness. In Michigan speaking of her is now akin to mentioning Lord Voldemort but for non-firearms reasons. 

The church phenomenon in Michihan goes back to before Obama. Normally churches, courts or schools are gun exclusion zones but with escape clauses; pastors etc. and chief judges can (and do) waive the restriction, and those with a concealed weapons permit can carry in a school if the weapon is exposed - an "open carry."