Windows 10 Fails to Install

I've got a media PC (Acer Revo RL70) under my TV with Windows 8.1 on it.

Got the message to upgrade to 10, so thought I might aswell.  It downloads and looks like it installs but taking a wee while.

It then restarts into a black screen and thats it, no mouse just black screen.  So I restart my machine, it says attempting to repair it then restarts a cmd screen pops up it then reboots and says reverting back to previous OS.  So it then goes back to Windows 8.1 and works as per norm.

So what do I do to get windows 10?  I was thinking of updating the BIOS but Acer's latest is from 2012 (mine probably is out of date) so going to do this later tonight but other than that i'm out of ideas?

• Like 2

I am wondering if the fact that your system is an HTPC might have something to do with it... When it restarts, pull the HDMI cable out then plugging it back in a few moments later... Also, try removing any display adapters (graphics driver, probably AMD Catalyst) you have in Device Manager (uninstall them) prior to upgrading.

I think you are going to have to do 1 of 2 things.

Clean install using win10 ISO
or
repair install of win8.1

If you decide to get another computer .... dont get an Acer for science's sake (love that South Park)

Not using HDMI because of sound issues, so just use VGA + SPDIF and nothing else I could remove.

I'll try uninstalling the gfx driver as it could be a possibility.

I do keep thinking of building my own PC using corsair 250D case but cant be bothered yet

I think you are going to have to do 1 of 2 things.

Clean install using win10 ISO
or
repair install of win8.1

If you decide to get another computer .... dont get an Acer for science's sake (love that South Park)

It's likely not Acer, mine upgraded just fine, like someone else mentioned, if it has an ATI card, remove the drivers, seems lots have had issues with ATI cards, at the risk of getting flamed, again, AMD/ATI need to get their act together and release actual working drivers for once 

If there's not ATI card, remove any 3rd party software related to mouse or keyboard, Logitech, SteelSeries, any other brand, I know those two had issues with 8.1, may still cause issues with 10 

I found that PC's with even a small amount of spyware or PUPs can have issues upgrading. I recommend running ADWcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool before trying the upgrade again. Both can be downloaded from BleepingComputer.com. It can't hurt to also see if Acer has some updated drivers or BIOS, to download and install, that would improve Windows 10 compatibility. 

My PC has the latest BIOS, so no go for that, so I updated my gfx driver (was severely out of date) ran the installation, no joy same problem.  I think it gets near 92% then fails or something like that.

It then reverted back to 8.1, so I uninstalled the gfx driver but kept getting an update in 8.1 that said "you need ot restart your pc, to install the update" I hit restarted and it did then it came back up saying the same message.  I done this 2 or 3 times then gave up.  Turned the PC off and it needed to install an update, that took about 10 minutes to do.

When it installs and fails the screen is black, i leave it ages nout happening so reboot the machine then goes back to 8.1 and windows update comes up with an error about the last update which is c1900101-40017 (which i've googled to death it seems)

So when I get home I'm trying once more then i'll give up and just stick with 8.1 and maybe try in a few months when 

I had the eact same problem happen to me. It was one of my autostart programs that did it to me. Pretty sure it was Eset. I manually stop it, ran the update and it worked. Just to  be on the safe side, stop everything, then try.

I've got a media PC (Acer Revo RL70) under my TV with Windows 8.1 on it.

Got the message to upgrade to 10, so thought I might aswell.  It downloads and looks like it installs but taking a wee while.

It then restarts into a black screen and thats it, no mouse just black screen.  So I restart my machine, it says attempting to repair it then restarts a cmd screen pops up it then reboots and says reverting back to previous OS.  So it then goes back to Windows 8.1 and works as per norm.

So what do I do to get windows 10?  I was thinking of updating the BIOS but Acer's latest is from 2012 (mine probably is out of date) so going to do this later tonight but other than that i'm out of ideas?

Remember there is no media center in Windows 10. You will have to look for another option, if you still want the capability.

Never used media center, literally just netflix streaming etc

Well it's official I've given up, tried it again and still no joy despite uninstalling loads of drivers, but now on 8.1 it's permanently  stating that it needs to restart for windows update to install, which I suspect is windows 10 despite me cancelling the reservation.

Need to full me finger out and build my own PC for the TV, as the acer can't do 1080p anyway so no good.

Nice of Microsoft to give it for free, but clearly there's something wrong with it or my PC is simply not compatible but 8.1 is and runs a dream (bar 1080p).  It's annoying as I'm a computer tech by profession just cant be bothered looking into why it's not working when you don't get paid for it :( 

It's likely not Acer, mine upgraded just fine, like someone else mentioned, if it has an ATI card, remove the drivers, seems lots have had issues with ATI cards, at the risk of getting flamed, again, AMD/ATI need to get their act together and release actual working drivers for once 

If there's not ATI card, remove any 3rd party software related to mouse or keyboard, Logitech, SteelSeries, any other brand, I know those two had issues with 8.1, may still cause issues with 10 

I've got four AMD boxes here that all upgraded great without screwing with the drivers, the only issue was a Llano integrated chip not being supported in 15.7 that may or may not have been fixed already.

If you're talking about cards that aren't even supported anymore, well...you're probably right, they don't work.

I am having the exact same issue. The installation on the laptop stops at a pitch black screen during reboot and nothing happens.

Dell, AMD CPU and GPU. 2 GB ram.

Do this, Clean install 8.1 then immediately upgrade to 10 using the media creation tool by selecting upgrade this pc.Once 10 is activated you can then do another clean install to tweak things just as you like it.

• 1 month later...

I have an Acer Revo RL70 which came pre-installed with Window 7 home edition. I tried several times to install windows 10 without success and a blank screen. I removed the HDMI cable which helped but the installation got stuck at 84% total (38% reconfiguring settings screen) for hours. Every time I force started the computer it reverted back to win 7 so in the end gave up. Recently I got a message to update my PC to window 10 which I accepted but the first two tries ended up with the same 84% completion and no activity for hours. After searching the web I tried a number of different suggestions and finally succeeded by following the steps as below.

1)      Created a restore point to start with

2)      Scanned the computer for viruses and trojan

3)      Deleted a number of software like anti-virus, burning rom, video converters, ATI gaming software (and any other graphic card related software but not the Graphic card driver), etc.

4)     

5)      Downloaded the Window 10 ISO file

6)      Downloaded the virtual clone drive (it is free at slysoft) to mount the ISO

7)      Disconnected the HDMI cable and connected the Pc via a VGA cable to the screen

8)      Ran CMD as an administrator to scan disk (scndsk - only had C drive on PC) and restarted PC

9)      Ran CMD as administrator ran "sfc /scannow" which completed with error which were fixed automatically. Restarted computer

10)  Connected the PC with Ethernet cable and disabled wifi adapter

11)  Disconnected everything else except Ethernet and VGA cable and also the USB dongle for keyboard and mouse (supplied with the Pc)

12)  Perform a clean boot by running msconfig (and checking selective startup, unchecking ‘load system services’ hiding ‘all microsoft services’ in service tab and disabling all other services)

13)  Started the install process by clicking the exe file in virtual window 10 drive.

14)  Disconnected the USB keyboard and mouse dongle once the installation moved to the screen that has a big (progress) circle showing the % completion

15)  The PC started several times during installation sometimes with blank screen which only lasted for a minute or so and the installation completed without any glitch or intervention in roughly 1 hour

I hope this will help people who have been unsuccessful