Google Dropping Adobe Flash Support - September 1, 2015

On 1 September Chrome will start to phase out Flash ads in Chrome and disabling all Flash elements not central to the website.  This is a long time coming.  Java...you're next!

In June, we announced (https://goo.gl/TF7dmD) that Chrome will begin pausing many Flash ads by default to improve performance for users. This change is scheduled to start rolling out on September 1, 2015. 

Most Flash ads uploaded to AdWords are automatically converted to HTML5. To ensure your ads continue to show on the Google Display Network, please follow these steps before September 1:

1) Identify any Flash ads in your account that aren’t eligible for automatic conversion: https://goo.gl/I4186A 
2) Convert these ads to HTML5: https://goo.gl/ZBq5DR

Source

Edited by jjkusaf
Changed topic
  • Like 2

On 1 September Chrome will start to phase out Flash ads in Chrome and disabling all Flash elements not central to the website.  This is a long time coming.  Java...you're next!

Source

Java isn't going anywhere ;)

Java...you're next! 

I can't remember the last time I encountered a Java applet? I certainly don't have the Java plugin enabled in my browser. Of course as a language/ on the back-end it's actually on the ascent, but I don't think end users are any worse off for it.

I think it is. With the transition to Modern apps, it's unlikely that Oracle will bother port it over. 

As for other OSes, I can't imagine it was used much anyway.

I can't remember the last time I encountered a Java applet? I certainly don't have the Java plugin enabled in my browser. Of course as a language/ on the back-end it's actually on the ascent, but I don't think end users are any worse off for it.

yea, you're probably right.  The only time I encounter it is with work programs though.  That'll change in April though!  Retirement...until my next job uses it for some reason I guess.  :)

Meanwhile, Microsoft builds Flash support into Edge. Not sure why they made that decision. I disabled it.

Facebook games, maybe? I am really curious what will happen to these once Flash is dead.

I think it is. With the transition to Modern apps, it's unlikely that Oracle will bother port it over. 

As for other OSes, I can't imagine it was used much anyway.

The world is so much bigger than Microsoft though.  This isn't even strictly about PCs.

So, no.

The world is so much bigger than Microsoft though.  This isn't even strictly about PCs.

So, no.

I'm aware of that, but I honestly haven't seen much devices or applications that rely on Java in years.

It will die out eventually, just give it like 10 or 15 years.

I'm aware of that, but I honestly haven't seen much devices or applications that rely on Java in years.

It will die out eventually, just give it like 10 or 15 years.

Then why is it increasing in popularity?

I think there are more devices out there relying on java than you realize.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

I don't see a lot of Java on the desktop side, although I personally do have a few programs that use it. (A few IDEs, my daughter's copy of Minecraft, a version control program on my *Nix desktops, etc.)  I do see it a lot with server applications though, never mind Android, etc... it's not going anywhere any time soon.  That said, the browser plugin needs to be nuked from orbit and never seen again.

Then why is it increasing in popularity?

I think there are more devices out there relying on java than you realize.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

And how many of those java applications can run on a different version of java than they were originally designed for ?

Write Once Run Anywhere my firkin ass! You can’t even Write Once And Run On A Newer Version Of Java On The Same Platform!

Facebook games, maybe? I am really curious what will happen to these once Flash is dead.

There are games ready at HTML5 website... see here: http://html5games.com

Let your friends know about this... so they won't be upset when Flash becomes dead when that day comes.That way, they can go to the website (as I mentioned) to play games.

If they don't like HTML5 games, then you can suggest them to get either Xbox or PS console for gaming.

I know Zynga tried to convert FarmVille to HTML5 a few years ago but for whatever reason, it wasn't followed through.

And how many of those java applications can run on a different version of java than they were originally designed for ?

Write Once Run Anywhere my firkin ass! You can’t even Write Once And Run On A Newer Version Of Java On The Same Platform!

That only happens when APIs are deprecated.

There is no avoiding that, sadly.

Guess I somehow managed to avoid Java apps in recent years.

Client-side JAVA Desktop apps usually suck, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly Java applets do. Yet it really is quite easy to avoid them nowadays. For most home users there's no need anymore to even install the Java Runtime Environment. On the other hand, Java's absolutely huge in the enterprise.

Client-side JAVA apps usually suck, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly Java applets do. Yet it really is quite easy to avoid them nowadays. For most home users there's no need anymore to even install the Java Runtime Environment. On the other hand, Java's absolutely huge in the enterprise.

Pretty much explains why I thought it was dying. (Y) I'm glad they mainly focus on the business market.

There are games ready at HTML5 website... see here: http://html5games.com

Let your friends know about this... so they won't be upset when Flash becomes dead when that day comes.That way, they can go to the website (as I mentioned) to play games.

If they don't like HTML5 games, then you can suggest them to get either Xbox or PS console for gaming.

I know about this, but I was talking more about "heavier" games, like the one I'm playing for almost 2 years now (Knights Clash of Heroes). Bubble crap games and similar ones will clearly be converted, but who the hell cares about these...

That only happens when APIs are deprecated.

There is no avoiding that, sadly.

Or when new security features are implementated rendering the sole reason for javas very exsistance null and void;

"Write once, run anywhere" is fiction when a program cant even run on a newer version on the same platform.

Or when new security features are implementated rendering the sole reason for javas very exsistance null and void;

"Write once, run anywhere" is fiction when a program cant even run on a newer version on the same platform.

"Write once, run anywhere" != no need to maintain app, nor does it mean on any version of java framework.

The whole line was clearly invented by a marketing person.