Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against 10 Carmakers - no auto-shutoff on keyless ignitions

Some of the world’s biggest automakers should have recalled millions of vehicles with keyless ignitions because the cars, which don’t shut off automatically if the driver fails to press the start/stop button, could be a deadly carbon monoxide risk, according to a new lawsuit.

According to the suit, filed in Los Angeles Federal Court on behalf of keyless car drivers Wednesday, there have been at least 13 deaths -- and a number of close calls -- from carbon monoxide poisoning after consumers failed to manually shut off their engines. The suit claims, “Reasonable drivers mistakenly believe that removing the Keyless Fob from the vehicle turns off the engine.”

Keyless cars allow drivers to start their engines without inserting a key into the ignition switch, but instead pressing a start/stop button. To shut off the car, they must manually press the button again.

The lawsuit claims that, “for years the Automakers have known about the deadly consequences that can result when a driver exits a vehicle with our without the keyless fob and without having depressed the Start/Stop button. Nevertheless, even though an Auto-Off feature can be implemented without significant effort or cost, the Automakers have refused to act.”

More at the Source

Sort of absurd if you ask me.  If you are smart enough to press a button to start your car ... you should be smart enough to press the same button to turn it off.  I wouldn't call this a deadly defect just another way for some sleazy lawyer to make money off of ridiculous claims.

It's completely absurd. My car (with a push button start) won't let you out of it until you shut it off (or you unlock the doors manually).

Reasonable Idiot drivers mistakenly believe that removing the Keyless Fob from the vehicle turns off the engine.”

Well maybe those supposed "reasonable drivers" should read that book in the glove box called the Owners Manual, but I suppose that'd be unreasonable. Idiots will always find a way to injure or kill themselves.

They should recall all of the cars that use keys as well! If you don't remove the key the engine won't turn off! (One of the leading causes of vehicle theft in my city, I might add).

My keyless Mitsubishi makes a hell of a racket when you exit while it's running., do all makes not do the same?

They should recall all of the cars that use keys as well! If you don't remove the key the engine won't turn off! (One of the leading causes of vehicle theft in my city, I might add).

My keyless Mitsubishi makes a hell of a racket when you exit while it's running., do all makes not do the same?

I've noticed that cars in the states seem to bong/beep for every damn thing you do/don't do, where over here in the UK the only beep I get is if I try to drive without a seatbelt.

The lawyers bringing this case should be seriously reprimanded. It's a ridiculous case.

I've noticed that cars in the states seem to bong/beep for every damn thing you do/don't do, where over here in the UK the only beep I get is if I try to drive without a seatbelt.

The lawyers bringing this case should be seriously reprimanded. It's a ridiculous case.

Pretty much, though mine also beeps if I open the drivers door with the engine running.

They need a more sensible solution to this but unfortunately I can't find a video of it anywhere so I'll explain.

There's a great movie called "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" and in it there's a scene where two people exit a vehicle leaving the doors of the car open and in the background the car can be heard saying:

"Your door is ajar, your door is ajar, your door is ajar...I said close tha doh', d*ckhead"

That's what we need!!

Pretty much, though mine also beeps if I open the drivers door with the engine running.

Yup same here. If the car is on and I try to lock the doors from outside, it'll beep really loudly. If the engine is running and I open the door, it beeps.

The other thing is...how can you not hear the car running? Since they mentioned carbon monoxide poisoning I have to assume the car was parked in a garage. You don't get carbon monoxide poisoning by leaving your car on while its parked outside all night... I have a pretty damn quiet car and even I can hear the car engine running when I get out of it or into it when it's in the garage. It's a pretty noticeable and distinctive sound...

“Reasonable drivers mistakenly believe that removing the Keyless Fob from the vehicle turns off the engine.”

No they don't. Idiots do. 

• 5 weeks later...

Mine only beeps at me if I leave the lights on and switch ignition off. If a car beeped at me for every open thing, I would scratch if off my shopping list.

I can understand convenience for some people, but make all this ridiculous stuff an option that can be turned off. Some of us actually know our cars and we pay attention to what we are doing... so maybe, just maybe, that door is open on purpose.

This was me not understanding how 'keyless' works, but I had assumed in a carjacking type of situation, involving keyless ignition cars, the owner could simply let the hijacker take the vehicle, and as long as the driver still had the fob, the car would simply get out of range of the transponder and auto shut off?

• 2 weeks later...

This was me not understanding how 'keyless' works, but I had assumed in a carjacking type of situation, involving keyless ignition cars, the owner could simply let the hijacker take the vehicle, and as long as the driver still had the fob, the car would simply get out of range of the transponder and auto shut off?

not sure, but i have noticed that if i press the button whilst the car is still "on" the doors will lock but the engine won't turn off....

what i really want it something that confirms the door is locked, like an extra noise or something......im always double checking