Ubuntu Privacy Issues Eerily Similar To Windows 10

Ubuntu Privacy Issues Eerily Similar To Windows 10

27 Aug, 2015  in  Privacy  /  Technology   by bitblp

Users are eagerly looking for an alternative solution to the Windows 10 debacle. Naturally, the nix users are first to suggest a linux platform. And when most Windows users hear the word “Linux” they automatically think of Ubuntu.

If you are planning to make the move to Ubuntu or already have, you may want to rethink that decision. It turns out, although the Canonical Privacy Policy is no where near as bad as the Microsoft Privacy Policy, it is still pretty scary. Unfortunately, the fact that Ubuntu collects user data isn’t the worst part of their policy either.

When opening the privacy policy, one can see that Canonical openly admits to harvesting user data. The first sentence of the first paragraph reads “Canonical collects personal information from you in a number of different ways.” They go on to explain why they share your data. “We don’t store personal information unless required for the on-going operation of services to you, to provide you with products, to comply with law or to protect our rights”, reads a bullet point from the policy. This basically describes that Canonical’s use of your data is only collected when required to offer a needed service, such as the operating system itself. This goes without saying, they will always collect your data, in order to provide you the service of the operating system.

Read Further - http://www.hakspek.com/technology/ubuntu-privacy-issues-eerily-similar-to-windows-10/

Sorry, the article's author lost all credibility with me after sentence #1. I am not currently using it since I am on Debian, but Windows 10 is not even close to being a debacle. Microsoft is pretty much doing what Google does in terms of data collection, most of which can be easily disabled.

And honestly, I trust Microsoft a heck of a lot more than I do Canonical.

And honestly, I trust Microsoft a heck of a lot more than I do Canonical.

Replace "Canonical" with "Google" and you have my sentiments on this subject.

What debacle?

Check this thread on the Microsoft Community to get an idea of some of the paranoia going around. I'm not sure about the amount of telemetry tracking in 10, but there's some serious panic there.

They're also the same guys who claim 10 is a failure because it's "only" at around 5-6% 4 weeks in.