Help ! Lost USB reader and camera support, still have USB stick and peripherals working

I need help. Badly.

I have a year old Cybertron PC with a Gigabyte mobo, running Windows 8.1.  I primarily use it for photo processing.

About a month or so ago, I updated to Windows 10. Had a bunch of issues that eventually got resolved.

Last Friday I went on a short trip and when I came back the computer indicated some updates were installed and it was rebooted. 

After this, I am no longer able to use a card reader or to read files from my camera. All other usb devices (USB drive stick, peripherals) work fine.

After screwing around in W10 I reset the computer back to w8.1 using Reset function (deleting everything on main drive). I still have the same problem. When I plug the camera in nothing happens regardless of whether I use a USB Mass storage or MTP protocol. When I plug the card reader in the USB Mass storage device shows up under device manager but there's no drive letters, and nothing shows up in File Explorer or partition manager. I tried deleting USB devices and reassigning drive letters to no avail. I also tried different ports and different cables.

Need help...

There's only one version posted on their website... Perhaps should dig deeper.

what baffles me is that it used to work with Windows 8.1 yet it doesn't work anymore even with a fresh install off the Windows disk. 

Does device manager show any of the non working devices?

Quoting for relevance only.

So assuming you still have the installation files, uninstall your drivers for the webcam and reader, restart the pc, and re install, see if that does the trick

A very large percentage of 'device mysteriously has stopped working' problems can be fixed by just re installing the relevant device :) 

I have Windows 8.1 disk that came with machine (unlike most vendors they included Windows disk instead of recovery partition).

I did a reinstall of Windows but it doesn't work the same way I used to from my XP days, so I am not sure that it clears up everything. Perhaps I should just wipe the drive clean and start from scratch.

Well, apparently selecting an option to reset Windows and erase all settings and data and everything on the system partition does not do a clean install.

After I've manually deleted the partition, booted off Windows disk, created & formatted the new partition, and installed W8.1 from scratch, my camera can connect to computer.

So I know that the problem was definitely driver related.

I just hope it won't re-appear after another update.

After this I am very hesitant to try W10 again just yet.