What's missing in my custom build?

It's just fun to see what kind of computer I can make on PCPartPicker knowing I'm not going to buy it because it's too expensive but maybe one day. :p

Anyways, what am I missing from my build here?: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bcZ3YJ

Also, is it worth it to buy an "overkill" computer? Will it become "outdated" or slower in a few years knowing that computers and technology advance so fast?

Lol, besides that...

Well, nothing really since your goal is to build an over-the-top PC which you can not afford.  Only addition to the rig you "built" would be a larger hard drive (like a Western Digital xTB Black) for storage.  Yea, I could go and recommend this and that ... but if you aren't actually serious about buying one ... it is just a waste of time.  Most people who ask for recommendations will state what their budget is and then recommendations can flow based on said budget.

Well, nothing really since your goal is to build an over-the-top PC which you can not afford.  Only addition to the rig you "built" would be a larger hard drive (like a Western Digital xTB Black) for storage.  Yea, I could go and recommend this and that ... but if you aren't actually serious about buying one ... it is just a waste of time.  Most people who ask for recommendations will state what their budget is and then recommendations can flow based on said budget.

Well actually the main reason is so that I have a goal in the next few months.

Asus USB-N66 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter - Why not PCI-E? INternal > USB.

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer - Why not Blu Ray?

Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - Why not M2?

QLogic QLE3242-CU-CK 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps PCI-Express x8 Network Adapter - You have a 10gbps switch?

Don't say because you don't need them, if you're planning on spending that much on a PC, you're going to not worry over an extra $50 - $60. 

Asus USB-N66 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter - Why not PCI-E? INternal > USB.

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer - Why not Blu Ray?

Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - Why not M2?

QLogic QLE3242-CU-CK 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps PCI-Express x8 Network Adapter - You have a 10gbps switch?

Don't say because you don't need them, if you're planning on spending that much on a PC, you're going to not worry over an extra $50 - $60. 

Thanks for that. But no one has answered my second question...

"Also, is it worth it to buy an "overkill" computer? Will it become "outdated" or slower in a few years knowing that computers and technology advance so fast?"

The day you buy the greatest computer thing in the world, they are already working on something new. So don't think about how it will suck in the next few years. I had this system here for about 2 years, I don't have any reason to upgrade any time soon.

Depends on how you define outdated. The parts will become outdated for sure but that doesn't mean it will still not be a good computer.

There is no reason why that computer you put together shouldn't last 5-6 years. This is taking into consideration how much consoles hold back video game development as we saw with the last generation of consoles.

Thanks for that. But no one has answered my second question...

"Also, is it worth it to buy an "overkill" computer? Will it become "outdated" or slower in a few years knowing that computers and technology advance so fast?"

If you can afford it, YES but if you are just maxing out a bunch of credit cards to build this system then build a more reasonable one.

Since you are not building this right now I would suggest the upcoming Samsung 950 Pro with NVMe over the Samsung 850 Pro as you should see a nice performance boost. The AHCI interface was designed for HDDs NOT SSDs...

Welcome to the fuzziest set of objectives ever...

You have not stated what sort of things you do on a computer today, and what sort of things you would like to do over the next few years that you don't currently do.

If all you do is check Facebook, email and browse web, then get an Occulus Rift so you can immerse yourself in nothingness...

Otherwise, speculating on a max spec pc might be useful if we know what needs to be maxxed.

For gaming you might want a super wide 3 monitor setup.

For video editing, a bank of SSD drives and at least 2 monitors.

For graphics work, 64 gigs of RAM and multiple monitors, pen/tablet device, 3D scanner, 3D printer...

For software development, 6 monitors, one of them touch input, 64 gigs of RAM for VM's.

For mechanical enginering ..., and so on...

Welcome to the fuzziest set of objectives ever...

You have not stated what sort of things you do on a computer today, and what sort of things you would like to do over the next few years that you don't currently do.

If all you do is check Facebook, email and browse web, then get an Occulus Rift so you can immerse yourself in nothingness...

Otherwise, speculating on a max spec pc might be useful if we know what needs to be maxxed.

For gaming you might want a super wide 3 monitor setup.

For video editing, a bank of SSD drives and at least 2 monitors.

For graphics work, 64 gigs of RAM and multiple monitors, pen/tablet device, 3D scanner, 3D printer...

For software development, 6 monitors, one of them touch input, 64 gigs of RAM for VM's.

For mechanical enginering ..., and so on...

Well the OP might have lost interest in the topic but it occurs to me that it might be an interesting task to collectively discuss what the configuration would be for a maxxed out PC in the various domain areas I listed and other PC usage areas other people come up with - It would actually make a handy reference list for people buying computers.

One reasonable criteria for the idea of "maxxed out" is not to select an expensive component becuase it is expensive but what is useful in some way for the domain area.

Just an idea...

Hello,

Some case fans to help move air through the chassis would probably be helpful.

How about an 802.11ac PCIe card instead of the 802.11n external USB adapter for wireless networking.  Here's a model from ASUS:  PCE-AC68.

If all your data does not need to be on the 500GB SSD, you might want to add a HDD as well.  Also, an external USB HDD for backing up the computer's data.

Lastly, a whatever kind of keyboard and mouse you prefer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

To be serious for a moment, you need a spinny storage drive, the SSD is nice but limited if you intend to game, add a decently priced 2-3gb HDD and you should be fine

I also question why not get a PCI-e NIC instead of USB, they are not that good 

According to the Newegg listing it comes with a WiFi antenna, may want to confirm if it does have built in wifi and save a few pennies