Matthew Garrett Forks the Linux Kernel

(Now if only a group would take the Linux kernel and redo it using C++, now that would be a fork!)

Reaction to Sarah's post about leaving the kernel community was a mixture of terrible and touching, but it's still one of those things that almost certainly won't end up making any kind of significant difference. Linus has made it pretty clear that he's fine with the way he behaves, and nobody's going to depose him. That's unfortunate, because earlier today I was sitting in a presentation at Linuxcon and remembering how much I love the technical side of kernel development. "Remembering" is a deliberate choice of word - it's been increasingly difficult to remember that, because instead I remember having to deal with interminable arguments over the naming of an interface because Linus has an undying hatred of BSD securelevel, or having my name forever associated with the deepthroating of Microsoft because Linus couldn't be bothered asking questions about the reasoning behind a design before trashing it.

In the end it's a mixture of just being tired of dealing with the crap associated with Linux development and realising that by continuing to put up with it I'm tacitly encouraging its continuation, but I can't be bothered any more. And, thanks to the magic of free software, it turns out that I can avoid putting up with the ###### in the kernel community and get to work on the things I'm interested in doing. So here's a kernel tree with patches that implement a BSD-style securelevel interface. Over time it'll pick up some of the power management code I'm still working on, and we'll see where it goes from there. But, until there's a significant shift in community norms on LKML, I'll only be there when I'm being paid to be there. And that's improved my mood immeasurably.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/38136.html

I would prefer the communication style within the Linux kernel community to be more respectful. I would prefer that maintainers find healthier ways to communicate when they are frustrated. I would prefer that the Linux kernel have more maintainers so that they wouldn’t have to be terse or blunt.

Sadly, the behavioral changes I would like to see in the Linux kernel community are unlikely to happen any time soon. Many senior Linux kernel developers stand by the right of maintainers to be technically and personally brutal. Even if they are very nice people in person, they do not want to see the Linux kernel communication style change.

What that means is they are privileging the emotional needs of other Linux kernel developers (to release their frustrations on others, to be blunt, rude, or curse to blow off steam) over my own emotional needs (the need to be respected as a person, to not receive verbal or emotional abuse). There’s an awful power dynamic there that favors the established maintainer over basic human decency.

Poor dear. The language used offended her delicate sensibilities. Sorry, but you've failed at imposing your SJW/gender studies ideology here. Similar to the way you failed to take over gaming. So that makes it Geeks - 2, Feminazis' - 0. Talk about epic fail!

Poor dear. The language used offended her delicate sensibilities. Sorry, but you've failed at imposing your SJW/gender studies ideology here. Similar to the way you failed to take over gaming. So that makes it Geeks - 2, Feminazis' - 0. Talk about epic fail!

Actually, before gamer gate, they tried to infiltrate the atheist/free thought convention community. It led to a funny episode which is now known to the community as the "coffee gate" or "seven seconds of terror" incident.

Basically, this SJW feminist maid a big noise about sexual harassment at the conventions, all because a guy asked her out for coffee in an elevator. The tumbler mob came, the community said "lol nope",
then they made their own community called atheism+ and claimed they won.

It was like if north korea made an island, said it was US territory and then planted their own flag in it to say they beat America. XD

So... Geeks - 3, Feminazis' - 0

• Like 3

Actually, before gamer gate, they tried to infiltrate the atheist/free thought convention community. It led to a funny episode which is now known to the community as the "coffee gate" or "seven seconds of terror" incident.
Basically, this SJW feminist maid a big noise about sexual harassment at the conventions, all because a guy asked her out for coffee in an elevator. The tumbler mob came, the community said "lol nope",
then they made their own community called atheism+ and claimed they won.

It was like if north korea made an island, said it was US territory and then planted their own flag in it to say they beat America. XD

So... Geeks - 3, Feminazis' - 0

Haha brilliant :D

I guess when this fork fails they will blame cis males or whatever the nonsense they spread is? 

They all forget one thing, Linux is Linus as long as he's alive, and possibly even after if he has his crap together, anything else will be a poor failed attempt at being cool 

Look who's in the comments section giving her a big feminist hug, none other than Randi Harper herself.

Randi Harper on October 5, 2015 at 8:48 pm said:

Uh, FreeBSD has a terrible code of conduct and has its own problems. It is not a safe place.

http://sarah.thesharps.us/2015/10/05/closing-a-door/

The SJW's must be distraught at this abject failure to take over a successful community like the Linux kernel. Damn, this made my day :)

• Like 1

Look who's in the comments section giving her a big feminist hug, none other than Randi Harper herself.

http://sarah.thesharps.us/2015/10/05/closing-a-door/

The SJW's must be distraught at this abject failure to take over a successful community like the Linux kernel. Damn, this made my day :)

This is what happens when you tell people that they are oppressed 24-7 and if you don't see it, then you have just internalized the misogyny. Then you tern it into an "academic" field where you teach that nothing is down to sexual dimorphism, it's all a misogyny conspiracy and that anyone that disagrees is a bad individual and should be changed for the better good.

Then people start seeing sexism where it does not exist, and then because of all the claims and moral superiority, reel problems get ignored because the community has cried wolf and tried to impose their social Marxism so many times nobody listens anymore.

The fact is, there is a reason for the tough love in the open kernel community. There is no centralist management structure in place, it's a bunch of people working together to manage a complex kernel from all over the world, and if you try to do your own thing and inject it into the project, you could very well brake something if you did it wrong. The code needs to be held to a high standard and you need to be tolled were you went wrong so you don't do it again. Its the
Gordon Ramsay approach, and it works. If you rail it in to someone that they are doing it wrong, why it is wrong and make it so they can't ignore it, it drives them to do better.

As the old adage goes, "If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". Not complain that it is too hot, then try and tern down the stove when somebody is cooking on it.

Hear, hear Ad Man Gamer. You nailed it.

When society constantly reinforces the idea that all women are victims, is it any wonder that they feel a sense of entitlement. And that's what it is when we get right down to it. They think that their needs are more important than everyone else's. Aptly illustrated by her own statement:

What that means is they are privileging the emotional needs of other Linux kernel developers (to release their frustrations on others, to be blunt, rude, or curse to blow off steam) over my own emotional needs

Ironically this contradicts the idea of feminism (the dictionary definition at least). You can't have both ways. You can't have equality and expect everyone to treat you as a special snowflake. It isn't happening.

This woman is unbelievable. She expects the entire community to cater to her whims:

I did not want to work professionally with people who were allowed to get away with subtle sexist or homophobic jokes. I feel powerless in a community that had a “Code of Conflict” without a specific list of behaviors to avoid and a community with no teeth to enforce it.

Clearly she's too sensitive to be working in a real environment where people are criticised for ######## up. Perhaps she would be more comfortable in a gender studies class at university where she can be wrapped in a safe space bubble that protects her from ideas and opinions that differ from her own.

• Like 2

Now how about we get back to the topic at hand: forking the Linux kernel! And stop being 4chan and putting down women, it's immature & unwanted in this thread...it would be nice if a mod cleaned it!

• Like 2

There's a world of difference between saying that SJWs should stop blathering on about non issues and playing victim and "putting down women". You can't have this discussion without questioning the motives for forking the kernel. It's all about a non existent gender war, and it's stupid.

• Like 2

Not surprised to see some of the usual suspects putting down this women.

Cool story, bro. Except for the small part where the person who actually did this Kernel fork was a guy, not a woman.

Now how about we get back to the topic at hand: forking the Linux kernel! And stop being 4chan and putting down women, it's immature & unwanted in this thread...it would be nice if a mod cleaned it!

But what we are talking about is the fact that she feels that she is being oppressed, because the community has a Gordon Ramsay type of motivation system in place. There is nothing sexist about it. But because it made her uncomfortable, and she is a woman, it must be toxic masculinity at fault.

Look. this is on topic, as we are discussing the reason for the fork, which is talking about the fork. It just looks like the same pattern that has been seen time and time again.

1. Go into a nitch group voluntarily, that you are not obligated to be in.
2. Find the way they operate offensive to one's own sensibilitys, and try to change things in the group to suet ones self.
3. When the community tells you to pack it in, Keep doing it anyway, and do it louder.
4. When the back lash comes, call them sexist in an attempt to shame, and mark them as a target for the SJW which hunt.
5. When the tricks don't work, go off and make a safe place where they can go back into their echo chamber where only the most moral may join.
6. Blame the new community's failure to gain traction on misogyny on a systemic level. << We will have to see if it gets to this stage.
7. (Repeat)

That's what it looks like to me, and I don't think that this new fork will get that much traction.

###

Edit: Just looked at the blog and saw this.

"When microaggressions are pointed out, community members stop, listen, and apologize."

If this individual believes in microaggressions, then what they find to be oppressive is bound to be any little petty thing that they personally find offensive. If she was trying to impose this shut up, believe and conform social marxism, then it is no wonder they were hostile. Its free "as in freedom" for a reason.

Edited by Ad Man Gamer

The fork happened because Matthew Garrett is fed up of the same crap she was, it wasn't because of her that he decided to fork it!

The fork happened because Matthew Garrett is fed up of the same crap she was, it wasn't because of her that he decided to fork it!

You are saying that this blog post has nothing to do with the making of a new fork? At all? If it was hyper linked, then it obviously was a part of it.

Now how about we get back to the topic at hand: forking the Linux kernel!

This is the topic. You posted a link describing it. Unless you want to discuss BSD style linux kernel interfaces? I think that's more suited to the Linux/Programming sections than the back page news.

And stop being 4chan and putting down women, it's immature & unwanted in this thread

I call people out on their ######. I don't care what their gender is. One only has to read the blog post you linked with to see that it's steeped in SJW/Feminist ideology. Hell, Randi Harper is in the comments section. That says it all.

Perhaps he should call it the SJW fork then lol. I'm sure if it got people like Authur Chu, Brianna Wu, and Zoe Quinn, it would undoubtedly be a success /s

This is the topic. You posted a link describing it. Unless you want to discuss BSD style linux kernel interfaces? I think that's more suited to the Linux/Programming sections than the back page news.

I call people out on their ######. I don't care what their gender is. One only has to read the blog post you linked with to see that it's steeped in SJW/Feminist ideology. Hell, Randi Harper is in the comments section. That says it all.

I have no idea, nor do I care who this Randi Harper is.

I have no idea, nor do I care who this Randi Harper is.

So you didn't bother reading the blog you linked to then? Sheesh.

She was heavily involved in the anti-gamergate debacle.

Cool story, bro. Except for the small part where the person who actually did this Kernel fork was a guy, not a woman.

Yeah......

um, did you even read the thread? I wasn't talking about Matthew Garrett. Comprehension... it really helps (Y)

um, did you even read the thread? I wasn't talking about Matthew Garrett. Comprehension... it really helps (Y)

I hear WhiteKnights.com is seeking members :shiftyninja:

Just took a look at the blog again, and I noticed this fascinating advice:

When microaggressions are pointed out, community members stop, listen, and apologize

Code of conduct explicitly protects diverse developers, acknowledging the spectrum of privilege

http://sarah.thesharps.us

Diversity, microaggressions, privilege, and general pandering to social justice warrior feelings are clearly the top priorities of every community according to that blog. lol, you can't make this stuff up. Has the world gone completely mad or what?

I'm so glad the kernel community told them to get stuffed.