Help me modify my Xbox One

Hello, I love my XB1 and want to change a few things. I already have an external drive that I use for all my games, a WD Passport Ultra, but I want to actually put that INSIDE the XB1. I already know how to do it, but I'm wondering if I have to buy another drive or can I just pop my WD drive out of the case and replace it?

Also, can I find a matte black case that I can replace the housing? Thanks! And yes I know I will void my warranty if I replace the HDD but I've had it over a year anyway.

I don't think so. I don't know these new models, but WD is using a proprietary connector, and even if you try disassembling your current hard drive you couldn't make it fit since the connector is soldered to the drive. I had one of a friend's which somewhat died, and we tried connecting it on an external enclosure. It did not work due to the problem I'm mentioning. So I guess your best bet is to get a laptop hard drive and do the replacement yourself. 

Edited by Andrew

I don't think so. I don't know this new models, but WD is using a proprietary connector, and even if you try disassembling your current hard drive you couldn't make it fit since the connector is soldered to the drive. I had one of a friend's which somewhat died, and we tried connecting it on an external enclosure. It did not work due to the problem I'm mentioning. So I guess your best bet is to get a laptop hard drive and do the replacement yourself. 

Exactly. One of the few drive manufacturers that don't have their own proprietary connectors on the external HD's are Seagates. Time to buy a new drive to put into your xbone. 

Also, can I find a matte black case that I can replace the housing? Thanks! And yes I know I will void my warranty if I replace the HDD but I've had it over a year anyway.

Have you considered doing it yourself ?

Only reason I mention this is because I started painting some things matte black and the Krylon matte black paint is very easy to use - I tried the PlastiDip at first - but that is pretty cheap looking & next to impossible to clean

Yeah I had 2 of them and dropped one and tried to do the same thing. I took it apart but can't remember if the connector fit or not. I'm not sure if I need a 1GB drive or 2GB drive. Right now my 2GB drive is only using 34% I think so I should be fine with a 1GB drive. Any suggestions?

Have you considered doing it yourself ?

Only reason I mention this is because I started painting some things matte black and the Krylon matte black paint is very easy to use - I tried the PlastiDip at first - but that is pretty cheap looking & next to impossible to clean

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial I would definitely do it myself!!

Yeah I had 2 of them and dropped one and tried to do the same thing. I took it apart but can't remember if the connector fit or not. I'm not sure if I need a 1GB drive or 2GB drive. Right now my 2GB drive is only using 34% I think so I should be fine with a 1GB drive. Any suggestions?

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial I would definitely do it myself!!

Well - I will gladly see if I can find an XB1 specific tut.

I started painted Yeti Ramblers for people (friends & family) and gifts for people as they are insanely popular around here.  So I have tried a couple different spray paint brands and methods - but the Krylon brand spray paint - is great.  I have ZERO experience in painting stuff with spray paint before doing this - and being an absolute novice - I found it to be really easy.

I will source some DIY painting vids (I know of a couple but they involve PastiDip) so maybe give you an idea.

The paint is only about $5.00 @ Home Depot or Lowe's, then a $4.00 can of Epoxy Clear protectant to make it a little more resiliant - and its comes out looking pretty damned professional.

Now - if you have some deeper pockets - you can always send it off to Colorware - amazing work - but not cheap.

Capture.thumb.JPG.62c0cefce40cb35127304f