Lumia 950 review...not so good

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

I mean sure for $30 I would buy a Lumia 640 to play with and to experiment on.

I miss not having to use iTunes, file system access and the shape writing keyboard, but thats about it. I think MS will abandon WP within a year. No one wants it. No apps, no real selection of phones and carriers aren't making any effort to push the platform.

MS tried to reinvent the wheel too many times, screwed people over and made us wait too long for decent phones. They're done.

I miss not having to use iTunes, file system access and the shape writing keyboard, but thats about it. I think MS will abandon WP within a year. No one wants it. No apps, no real selection of phones and carriers aren't making any effort to push the platform.

MS tried to reinvent the wheel too many times, screwed people over and made us wait too long for decent phones. They're done.

Uh, I think the Insider's Program has shown that Windows Phone has its fanbase. Microsoft still cares about WP, but it just has a hard time showing it. Most Windows Phone are available off carrier, and are easily bought online. Windows 10 is starting to show developers there is a base for them to start making apps, and many have already created universal apps for the Windows platform.

I agree there is a fanbase, but its not translating into adoption rate. The Amiga 500 stills has a fanbase.

Well Microsoft hasn't had a worthwhile handset available for some time. Thankfully, they've corrected their error.

Well Microsoft hasn't had a worthwhile handset available for some time. Thankfully, they've corrected their error.

We'll know in a year or sooner, I guess. I hope it survives for the sake of competition, but its hard too be optimistic at this point.

On 11/22/2015, 12:46:26, krobin said:

I will give you just several examples - texting - texting on an android device is just painful and iPhone you should just give up even trying.   

For IoS - unlock, press messages then press new or reply, type message then send, that is sooooooo hard I gave up. So the question is, for example, have you tried messaging with android or IoS? The answer appears to be no.

On 21/11/2015, 20:54:36, warwagon said:

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

I mean sure for $30 I would buy a Lumia 640 to play with and to experiment on.

Well, I can tell you my experience.

As you can see I own a 640 XL LTE.

The screen is beautiful, I can't see any pixels here. Both cameras are great, I'd dare say that the fron facing camera is better than my friend's iPhone 6's camera, and I don't find the main camera to be inferior to that of the iPhone 6, I have not run any benchmarks here, just a visual comparison of pictures taken in comparable conditions, far from a professional comparison.

All the apps I have work perfectly, even Facebook and Twitter that many users say they don't work, are snappy, load fast, and no app has crashed on me yet.

Battery life is crazy, I can get 48 hours if I don't play games, I do not have demanding games, probably the most demanding is Dream League Soccer, it loads fast and plays perfectly and, only after more than one hour, it gets the back of the phone slightly warm, other games I have: chess, checkers, Microsoft Mahjong, blackjack and yahtzee.

After having used it for a while I think that many reviews are just nitpicking stuff that users won't even notice, like pixels or benchmarks.

As for apps, I have all the apps I currently need, I miss a good Backgammon app but that's no deal breaker at all.

Only one small issue, I live on the 5th floor when I'm in the street it already picks up my wi-fi and connects to it, and for those briefs seconds I can't use my connection since the signal is too weak, but besides that browsing and anything internet related both on wi-fi and 4G is crazy fast, I found that, using my 100 MBit connection is somewhat faster to upload stuff on OneDrive and then download it to my phone than moving files from PC to the phone.

Apps that I moved to the Micro SD (Samsung HC EVO, UHS-1, Class 10, 32 GB) take a little longer to load, maybe a second or two.

Maybe another issue, it shows me that there are almost 600MB of files on the phone, classified as "Other" I have no idea what they are and how to get rid of them, or if I should get rid of them, I'll try connecting the phone to a Windows machine.

Call quality and the speakers are really great, even the Microsoft headphones have a great sound, even if they feel a little fragile.

And the keyboard is awesome, so is speech recognition in Cortana, despite it being still in alpha.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎50‎:‎06‎, BajiRav said:

Having used both Lumia 630 and Lumia 640, I call ###### on this post. The 640 is an amazing phone for the price.

I created a thread similar to glen8's post. I bought a 640 for my brother on Black Friday, and besides the lack of Apps, one of his biggest reasons for not liking the phone was because it performed poorly during web usage, while his Android phone worked fine on the exact website. He also notes that the phone would become sluggish after prolonged use, and the need to reboot the phone was the only remedy. I don't think the OS runs as smoothly on lower specs as everyone here says. I won't even get into my Lumia 635, that thing is junk.

4 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

I created a thread similar to glen8's post. I bought a 640 for my brother on Black Friday, and besides the lack of Apps, one of his biggest reasons for not liking the phone was because it performed poorly during web usage, while his Android phone worked fine on the exact website. He also notes that the phone would become sluggish after prolonged use, and the need to reboot the phone was the only remedy. I don't think the OS runs as smoothly on lower specs as everyone here says. I won't even get into my Lumia 635, that thing is junk.

Yep, I have a Lumia 520 ...what a piece of crap! :D

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Yep, I have a Lumia 520 ...what a piece of crap! :D

Poor performance also? My 635 is unbearable doing basic tasks. It often crashes browsing Neowin. My daughter now uses it for Netflix when her iPad battery is dead.

Just now, JHBrown said:

Poor performance also? My 635 is unbearable doing basic tasks. It often crashes browsing Neowin. My daughter now uses it for Netflix when her iPad battery is dead.

I just installed the new windows 10 build. over all it seems snappier that before. But I tried web browsing but then just gave up waiting. very sluggish. That being said, I can't believe these cheap phones like the lumia only had 512 megs of ram. I know they are really cheap but 1GB or ram might make it more bareable.

Just now, warwagon said:

I just installed the new windows 10 build. over all it seems snappier that before. But I tried web browsing but then just gave up waiting. very sluggish. That being said, I can't believe these cheap phones like the lumia only had 512 megs of ram. I know they are really cheap but 1GB or ram might make it more bareable.

I believe the 640 has 1GB? He still states it was sluggish. I told him to do a factory reset, then remove all the AT&T pre-installed junk, along with other pre-installed junk. Still a no-go! I have the latest Windows 10 build on my 635, and using Edge for browsing, is like someone poking a finger in my eye.

7 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

I believe the 640 has 1GB? He still states it was sluggish. I told him to do a factory reset, then remove all the AT&T pre-installed junk, along with other pre-installed junk. Still a no-go! I have the latest Windows 10 build on my 635, and using Edge for browsing, is like someone poking a finger in my eye.

I dunno, I was watching some performance reviews about the 640 and it looks like it preformed great.

If apps will always trump specs in your world, then there isn't much to discuss there.  Sounds like you all use the browser way more than I do as well, which confuses me since you have 'all' those apps...

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎29‎:‎10‎, AR556 said:

I miss not having to use iTunes, file system access and the shape writing keyboard, but thats about it.

I agree, those are all pros of using WP.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎04‎:‎21‎, JHBrown said:

Tried resetting it and starting fresh?  The only time I've seen mine slow down at all is if I had the drive completely filled up, so now I keep a decent amount of space free (happens to most flash/SSDs though it's often handled differently.)