Just bought 980GTX K|NGP|N

Box was impressive, contents had tons of individually wrapped cables, a t-shirt, a poster, all kinds of decals, and shwag - which of course I threw everything away, but it was impressive.

CARD12.thumb.JPG.9f69a191bde8a69ca651e39CARD1.thumb.JPG.165335bdda5db1f7c7ab3f02

Power connections were ridiculous - 2x 8-pin, and a 6-pin

Only reason I bought it was because it was $100 lower than the lowest price I could find anywhere online - hard to resist.

I am going to run some benchmarks to see what this ridiculously heavy thing can do & will post.

But the boxing/packaging was first rate, much fancier than stadard eVga stuff.

• Like 3

That version of the 980 ti is designed for heavy overclocking. Hence the power connectors and the gfx board design is different from the standard 980 ti's. This card can be oc'd to 2 ghz with liquid nitrogen cooling.

Box was impressive, contents had tons of individually wrapped cables, a t-shirt, a poster, all kinds of decals, and shwag - which of course I threw everything away, but it was impressive.

CARD12.thumb.JPG.9f69a191bde8a69ca651e39CARD1.thumb.JPG.165335bdda5db1f7c7ab3f02

Power connections were ridiculous - 2x 8-pin, and a 6-pin

Only reason I bought it was because it was $100 lower than the lowest price I could find anywhere online - hard to resist.

I am going to run some benchmarks to see what this ridiculously heavy thing can do & will post.

But the boxing/packaging was first rate, much fancier than stadard eVga stuff.

Threw all the rest of it away? WHY? I'd have taken it off of your hands! :p Anyway, looks like you got one heck of a steal there, T3X4S!!! NICE!!!! :D

You should always save that stuff with high-end video cards. When you go to resell it in a year or two, it's more attractive to have all the original packaging, manuals, cables, addons etc then just a bare card.

• Like 2

That version of the 980 ti is designed for heavy overclocking. Hence the power connectors and the gfx board design is different from the standard 980 ti's. This card can be oc'd to 2 ghz with liquid nitrogen cooling.

LOL liquid nitrogen

Threw all the rest of it away? WHY? I'd have taken it off of your hands! :p Anyway, looks like you got one heck of a steal there, T3X4S!!! NICE!!!! :D

A shirt and a poster ?  garbage

You should always save that stuff with high-end video cards. When you go to resell it in a year or two, it's more attractive to have all the original packaging, manuals, cables, addons etc then just a bare card.

I usually give stuff away once Im done with it - 

$640 on amazon, eh? honestly, not all that bad considering this is an extreme version of the 980...

Got it for $499  :D

• Like 1

Very nice card! Vince has brought some amazing talent to EVGA and I love seeing stuff for the overclocking enthusiast. Super random, T3X4S, but did you used to have a Titleist Pro V1 as your avatar? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Very nice card! Vince has brought some amazing talent to EVGA and I love seeing stuff for the overclocking enthusiast. Super random, T3X4S, but did you used to have a Titleist Pro V1 as your avatar? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Yes sir, a long time ago I had a Pro V1 as my avatar... nice memory !  (used to be an assistant pro @ the course where my parents live - but then had to get a real job as that one was costing more than I made) :D

I have used eVga cards for as long as I can remember (I guess after BFG stopped making them/went out of business) - 

I was really surprised on the power connectors for this thing, I dont know where my cables are for my PSU - so I had to join (2) 4-pin ATA cables to make the 6-pin connection (that Y cable came with the card thankfully)

Now I just need to figure out where my PSU cables went.   Also, the card had 1 HDMI connection and 3 or 4 tiny little ports - not sure if they were lightning or mini DP - I'll read up on that later.

But what ###### me off was I cant crank everything up every setting on every game - I need to upgrade my CPU I guess (1st gen Core i7 950) - or its because of the monitor being 2560x1440 ?

But @ $499 - I am not complaining - a great deal

But what ###### me off was I cant crank everything up every setting on every game - I need to upgrade my CPU I guess (1st gen Core i7 950) - or its because of the monitor being 2560x1440 ?

yes that i7 is old, but still probably not a huge bottleneck. your performance is going to depend on the game, of course. such things as Motion Blur should be turned off. a lot of those settings will kill performance quickly. there's another setting that's notorious for killing fps, but it's eluding me at the moment.

Yes sir, a long time ago I had a Pro V1 as my avatar... nice memory !  (used to be an assistant pro @ the course where my parents live - but then had to get a real job as that one was costing more than I made) :D

I have used eVga cards for as long as I can remember (I guess after BFG stopped making them/went out of business) - 

I was really surprised on the power connectors for this thing, I dont know where my cables are for my PSU - so I had to join (2) 4-pin ATA cables to make the 6-pin connection (that Y cable came with the card thankfully)

Now I just need to figure out where my PSU cables went.   Also, the card had 1 HDMI connection and 3 or 4 tiny little ports - not sure if they were lightning or mini DP - I'll read up on that later.

But @ $499 - I am not complaining - a great deal

Haha, I thought that was you! I just happened to catch the golf itch and lately more money has been going to my equipment rather than computer hardware. It's a very additive process, ha!

The y-adapter should be fine, I remember running a few on my previous card without an issue, it might not look "pretty," but it will get the job done.

More than likely, the connectors are mini displayport. Most likely your CPU is the bottleneck now, specifically at that resolution. I also use that same resolution and I can crank up everything to max for 98% of the games I play, I think battlefield had some issues I needed to tone down the graphics a little ( i am a gen behind, still on the 290x). Surprisingly Battlefront runs at everything maxed with no problems.

usually give stuff away once Im done with it - 

Got it for $499  :D

Nice, I usually give my old computer parts to friends or family. I don't bother with reselling to recoup costs. Not a bad price for the card, now upgrade all your other parts! :p

Haha, I thought that was you! I just happened to catch the golf itch and lately more money has been going to my equipment rather than computer hardware. It's a very additive process, ha!

The y-adapter should be fine, I remember running a few on my previous card without an issue, it might not look "pretty," but it will get the job done.

More than likely, the connectors are mini displayport. Most likely your CPU is the bottleneck now, specifically at that resolution. I also use that same resolution and I can crank up everything to max for 98% of the games I play, I think battlefield had some issues I needed to tone down the graphics a little ( i am a gen behind, still on the 290x). Surprisingly Battlefront runs at everything maxed with no problems.

Oh man, getting bit by the golf bug is expensive.  Just like computer hardware:  you go to the store & buy the best equipment there is, by the time you get home and take off the wrapping - there is something new on the market.

Going to sell my Titleist irons, and get some new Mizunos - (Y)

How long until you're done with it?

:laugh:

hehe - I'll reach out to you in about 2 years :D

That card looks like a beast.  And here I am, debating whether to buy the 960 GTX or save a few bucks and go with the 950 GTX.  Nice purchase.

I had the 960GTX - nice card - just with my monitor it was a little on the light side.

960 will be fine. 

(Y)

Nice, I usually give my old computer parts to friends or family. I don't bother with reselling to recoup costs. Not a bad price for the card, now upgrade all your other parts! :p

I love to do a little horse trading with stuff, and last year I bought a Carbon X1 ThinkPad, and 2 weeks later someone offered me a little more than what I had in it (got a floor model for $1200 ($700 off) - so I went and bought the latest Carbon X1 the next day.   But most of the time, I try to find someone that needs a part or parts, but cant afford it - always love helping like that.... I am not the kind of person to try and sell something and have it sit around for months hoping someone will pay me for it - if I cant sell it immediately - I'll give it away

I second the gtx 960, the 2 gb models are getting cheaper these days .

Yes, I had the 960GTX eVga SSC - nice card for the money.

• Like 2

It is the resolution.

At FHD, that GPU should get you max on everything, but not at your resolution.

At that price, another one gets you SLI :)

For the most part your CPU is fine. CPU and RAM become limiting factors in new multiplayer WOW-like games due to caching and network prediction algorithms designed to minimize game latency over the internet. So if you don't play those games, it would take a typically poorly coded console port to make your CPU a bottleneck.

I will mention I am not much of a gamer, a little Call of Duty, I liked Borderlands, and Battlefield stuff - but thats it.

I bought the card simply because it was a great deal and if Im gonna play a game I want it to look as good as possible.

Well, maybe I will get another in a few months - I have been debating doing a new build, but I cant decide on a case.

If I do a new build, I might get another 980 K|NGP|N - but it probably wont be for a couple months

I guess I'll have to get a bigger PSU - I have the 1KW Seasonic Platinum - always wanted an excuse to get that insane Corsair 1500 Titanium.

Damn - I need to decide - computer parts - or golf stuff - cant do both. :/  my fiance will figure out something is up when she sees new things but no trace on the bank card :shifty: