Microsoft Exchange 2010 Meeting Request Issues

G'day good ship Neowin!

Got a stumper here in the office and thought I would give you guys the chance to be my hero this week!

Within our Citrix XenApp 6.5 environment we have Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, running Outlook 2010.

It has been brought to our attention that whatever actions a user takes to meeting requests (accept, tentative, decline etc), they need to do it more than one time.

Now the fun part.  We have no idea when this started, we have no idea what has triggered it (we rarely make any changes to the Office install within the Citrix image and even more rarely interfere with Exchange instance).

The setup is 2 CAS servers sitting in front of a single Exchange mailbox server with Exchange is 2010 SP1 64-bit running on all.

Has anyone else ever come across this type of issue at all?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

i have a similar setup (single CAS, but on a DAG) and never saw that issue happening. Do you have the latest updates for Exchange (Cumulative Updates) or Office 2010?

Forgot to say: this only happens in Citrix or without the XenApp environment it happens as well?

Do you have OWA enabled? Can you see if it still happens when using OWA (Outlook Web Access)? That will help narrow down if it's simply an Outlook issue on the Citrix side, or if something is going on server-side.

2 minutes ago, nfazer said:

Do you have OWA enabled? Can you see if it still happens when using OWA (Outlook Web Access)? That will help narrow down if it's simply an Outlook issue on the Citrix side, or if something is going on server-side.

Or smartphones: i've seen funky situations with iPhones and Androids (like sending meetings requests without order).

• 4 weeks later...

Can you verify that this happens on ALL user accounts or a single one? Perhaps this user has had his/her mailbox reconnected at some point?

I've seen some real funky Exchange stuff happen because the user has had their timezone screwed up somehow. Primarily this happens when the mailbox is reconnected.

However this issue impacted AutoReply msg not showing in OWA, accepted meetings not going anywhere when accepted within Outlook (but showed up on their mobile phones), to OWA completely erroring out on particular user login.

I believe the command I ran was :

Set-MailboxRegionalConfiguration -Identity useralias -Language en-us -TimeZone "Eastern Standard Time" (find out correct spelling of your timezone)

Have you thought about:

• create a "temp" sam account within AD with new mailbox
  • create dual instance of mailboxes in Outlook 2010 on users workstation
  • physically drag and drop email over into "temp" mailbox created (or import via archive, but I'd be weary of including current calendar)
  • log group permissions / security of original sam account
  • test the "temp" sam account and make sure the migrated emails are appearing
  • creating a good backup of end-users important files
  • then i would log the user our of their workstation at this point
  • delete the profile on the user's workstation
  • delete all traces of original sam account + delete exchange mailbox
  • make sure the deletion is replicated on all DCs
  •  in exchange run:  clean-mailboxdatabase "Mailbox Database 1281020251" (need to know your mailbox database name), but this would force the 30day purge of deleted mailboxes.
  • recreate original sam account + exchange mailbox.
  • enter back group member permissions and any other security in other places like a specific file-server folder
  • recreate new "original" profile on end-user workstation import important files
  • setup outlook on profile & add "temp" mailbox in there
  • drag and drop the email back into the newly created "original" mailbox.
  • remove "temp" mailbox from Outlook
  • see what happens
  • eventually remove all traces of "temp" sam & mailbox.

Mail question in doing this would be whether or not the user is comfortable with losing her calendar, but there might not be any other options.

Did you ask the question on reddit/r/exchange or citrix? Any good feedback?

Before running my recommendation, I do feel it is important to re-create the issue outside of the citrix environment though.

Edited by tehsteve86